how high should my hps be?

90 Troll Monk
What should my hps be at my current ilvl? Struggling to keep around 90k with 60%+ overhealing.

I'm using REM on cd and expel harm(glyphed) and surging to keep chi up for uplifts. Mana is rarely an issue.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Is this in LFR?

LFR is tough-- a overhealed snipe fest with no merit on actual skill for some classes.

You can be completely snuffed out by other healers.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
This is 25m normal.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
How many healers?

Logs would help, as I'm not a MW but I might be able to tell you what's up with regards to other healers.

I'm not a monk expert, but it was my understanding that it's better to gem for Crit, as it scales best. Someone should probably come along and either elaborate or correct me.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
It sounds like whatever content you're doing is over healed if your over healing is 60%.

I'd say just fist weave more until the raid either starts dropping or is about to. It might even increase your hps since your heals will more prone to sniping that pesky tank healer. Even if it doesn't the other healers probably won't even notice.

Edit:
10/15/2013 06:35 AMPosted by Naér
I'm not a monk expert, but it was my understanding that it's better to gem for Crit, as it scales best. Someone should probably come along and either elaborate or correct me.

Yeah, generally speaking
Yellow: Smooth Sun's Radiance
Red: Potent Vermilion Onyx
Blue: Misty Wild Jade

Ignore all my purified gems. I'm slowly replacing them but I had a huge surplus early on. Do as I say don't do as I do.
Edited by Kipery on 10/15/2013 6:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
6 healing SOP currently on Thok
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
I'll look into my gems tonight. Just got the 6200ish haste break according to a monk who is helping me. One of the best on the server
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

I used a crit/stam gem becuase i am bad.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Definitely go for more crit. On Thok you should be able to pump out quite a bit of hps right at the beginning due to the mechanics dropping the whole raid's health frequently, so if you're still lagging behind then, you may need to address some issues.

With 60% overhealing it seems like you might be getting sniped, which tends to happen to monks and we overheal a lot anyway, especially if you're against a lot of absorb classes. Potentially for some fights your raid could drop a healer in favor of an extra dps, but bottom line if bosses are dying and no one is complaining, you're OK.

e: This is also a tough question to answer, because unlike DPS, your HPS is directly tied to how much damage the raid is taking. If your raid is good, they will be taking less unnecessary damage, and your HPS will be lower, despite the raid performing better. Don't obsess over the meters.
Edited by Shirayukí on 10/15/2013 6:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
10/15/2013 06:54 AMPosted by Mysties

I used a crit/stam gem becuase i am bad.

It's probably about as good. Spirit and stam probably aren't that far off in value. Heck, stam might be even slightly better. However since the OP is a troll spirit will help in combat regen. He'll get 5 health and there's nothing the boss can do about it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
That'll teach him!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
It could also be a gear gap, too. Logs can help to see that. We take 6 healers and generally 3 healers do all the heavy lifting and 3 healers are sort of... expendable dino food.

Generally it's me way above everyone else > mw monk = druid > everyone else on that fight in particular. Or me/shaman/druid if we don't take our MW monk or he's dps.
Edited by Naér on 10/15/2013 7:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
There is a gear gap for sure. I'm a solid 25+ ilvls behind. My question is what should it be at or around?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Ehhh with a gear gap, it'll be depending on who gets there first.

I mean, maximum throughput =/= eHPS unfortunately.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
So my hps are going to be low if others are super high? Sorry I never payed much attention to it previously.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
10/15/2013 07:04 AMPosted by Langtao
There is a gear gap for sure. I'm a solid 25+ ilvls behind. My question is what should it be at or around?

As far as a number goes? It's hard to say. It really depends on the fight in question, the other healers and how well your raid gets out of the fire.

Even in relation to other healers it depends. While I wouldn't expect to top the charts if you're 25 item levels behind you might if the fight particularly favors MW. Then again there might be too little damage going out for even that to matter.

Also during low damage phases it's easy to get sniped so total HPS is often a rather uninteresting number. One fun part is looking at the lines in WoL during high damage phases or your dps contribution to the fight.

Edit:
10/15/2013 07:13 AMPosted by Langtao
So my hps are going to be low if others are super high? Sorry I never payed much attention to it previously.

Basically. There's only so much damage to heal so the high HPS goes to whoever gets to that damage first.
Edited by Kipery on 10/15/2013 7:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
First time I'm a raid healer since 5.0 that wasn't lfr. Lfr I can top healing done with fistweaving lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There is no right amount of HPS.

You should be about 15%-20% of the total healing on 25 man. If you are above 25%, then you can probably drop a healer (5 healers vice 6) for more DPS.

As people get better, they eat less damage, which in turn means, they require less healing.

Go into a fight that you are over geared for and you will notice your HPS goes down instead of up. This is because there is only so much damage that is going out, and in a perfect world HPS = Mob DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
Thank you dead that makes a lot of sense. I will look into our WoL charts and see what I'm doing during high dmg phases ect. Might get to do more fistweaving in normal than I first thought lol.
Reply Quote
If you have a Disc Priest in your group, always expect to do less HPS. As long as everything is going smooth then your HPS is fine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]