Our only "plans" were to try to make an admittedly confusing system less so. Confusion about which CC effects share DR's doesn't help anyone.
Perhaps a "budget" system, much like the pre-Cata talents combined with the MOP GUI? Give players options for the CC they want, based on class and spec. Baseline CCs in the toolkit ca still exist, but things like "Improved Counterspell" or "Ring of Frost" would be acquire through "talents"
... Just because leaving at that would seem like an incomplete thought, here's the full idea:
- Complete gutting of CC in toolkits and given back as "flavor of the spec" and utility. (Giving Aff/Demo locks Fear, but giving Destro a Pet Charm and Shadowfury. Things like that)
- Each class/spec will have spells in their toolkit. These spells would be similar to Frost Nova, Nature's Grasp, Hamstring, etc. "Soft CCs" basically.
- All DPS specs get a single baseline hard CC (Polymorph, Fear, etc.). Currently spammable abilities have a 6 second cooldown. Spells like Hammer of Justice remain unchanged.
- Talent do not offer CC options (Leg Sweep, Ring of Peace, Ring of Frost, etc).
- Budget System: DPS - 6 || non-DPS - 3
budget weights and uses:
1 - Interrupt/Kick/Protection Tool - [DPS -- [Melee: 15sec/3sec success-lock] [Ranged:24sec/4sec success-lock]] [Non-DPS: Interrupt Protection -> "Inner Focus"]
2 - Improved Interrupt - [Melee: +3sec blanket on miss kick] [Ranged: +4sec blanket on miss, success-lock now 6sec] [non-DPS: Lowers the duration of Loss of Control by 20%.]
3 - Improved Control - Based on class and spec: [DPS
: Lowers cooldown on some utility spells (except raid-wide cooldowns) or increases the effectiveness. Think of HoJ to FoJ...a nice CD reduction]
3 - CC Break - non-DPS only -- Does not share a cooldown with PVP Trinket: 3min cooldown (this is basically another trinket).
5 - Improved CC - DPS only - Enhances your baseline CC spell, removing the cooldown (base: 6sec) and increases the range (based on the ability itself). [Casters - Some abilities grant Interrupt Protection temporarily.] [Melee - Improves your gap-closer abilities, based on class/spec.]