Staff or MH/OH

90 Troll Druid
Im trying to improve my overall healing. i know i have parts ungemmed and missing enchants but im improving my gear and im poor(not really but im cheap as hell).
So, ive seen good pve'ers rocking a staff but im used to a mh/oh build..
what do you guys recommend??
both for pve and pvp :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
For PvE it just depends on what drops first.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Whichever is better itemized.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
For PvE it just depends on what drops first.

Basically!

For pvp mh/oh can give a few a bit more intellect (last I read, getting my weapon tonight on priest so checking then :p) but either are fine. I see people running both.

You're a JC, gems are super cheap then :p
Edited by Veroicone on 10/8/2013 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

You're a JC, gems are super cheap then :p

True, but im lazy and i cant go mining for more than 5 minutes..... :P

I guess i'll go with mh/oh for pvp. And for pve, i wanted to try a staff and now i know its a viable option.

thanks!
Edited by Barntroz on 10/8/2013 10:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LA
They are incredibly close this tier as secondaries have begun outpacing raw int for throughput. MH/OH grants more int, staves grant more secondaries. I think right now the last time I checked for example, MH/OH vs Staff for the crit/haste items was 110 int in favor of MH/OH, not a big deal to miss out on.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Ok...End all be all here (at least for resto druids, probably same for others)

99% of the time; Whatever drops first.

Whatever drops first.

Otherwise...anything with haste on it to reach 13k HBP.
Unless you cannot reach that Breakpoint safely..then mastery.

Now...ALLLLL things being equal...MH/OH, due to dual enchant, OH enchant = extra stats.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Item level > itemization > type when choosing weapons.

If you happen to have a staff and a MH/OH set with the same item level and the same itemization, the MH/OH beats the staff. Otherwise, first go by item level, then by itemization.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
99% of the time; Whatever drops first

And then the way RNG works, you end up changing back and forth. My weapon/OH gearing since t14 has gone from MH+OH, then Staff, then back to the same OH with a new MH, then a new staff, then another new MH with the old OH, then Staff again, then a new MH with a new OH, then the same MH with a new OH.

In other words, don't trash your Staff, Main Hand or Off Hand, until you have a replacement for that piece. (That is, if you're using a MH/OH combo and get a staff, don't trash your MH/OH, because you might get an MH or OH that makes that combo superior to the staff).
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Absolutely. Always keep a backup in your bank of the best staff/MH/OH you have gotten recently, because there could come a time you will kick yourself for DEing/vendoring something you later need due to drops or changes in stat priority. It isn't a bad idea to keep older gear around for Proving Grounds, anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Mmh/oh is better if you can acquire it, but remember that's having to get two pieces of gear instead of just one.. which tbh is actually pretty fair in the end.
Edited by Gamex on 10/9/2013 7:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
To be honest, I am more of a staff girl myself.

The off-hands this raid don't impress me much either.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk

The off-hands this raid don't impress me much either.

Oh, if we're talking RP or flavor then staff > main + off hand for casters. Sure Gandolf used a sword at times but he didn't have a snow cone in the other hand either.

Specifically when it comes to monks I feel the staff works so much better than a main + off hand. Maybe dual wielding or not having an off hand would work stylistically but that just don't work mechanically for mist weavers in WoW.

The benefits of staves is that they can be walking sticks, used for reach purposes, better for drawing things in the dirt and so on.

What works better for mechanics was already covered.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/09/2013 12:05 PMPosted by Avabelle

Giggity.

I like staves better for looks, but the cricket cage from protectors is BEYOND adorable. :3 do want. i'd be more interested in off hands for appearance if they showed up while casting and such, but they don't so. =/
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Absolutely. Always keep a backup in your bank of the best staff/MH/OH you have gotten recently, because there could come a time you will kick yourself for DEing/vendoring something you later need due to drops or changes in stat priority. It isn't a bad idea to keep older gear around for Proving Grounds, anyway.

Thisss! I have gotten off hands before and disenchanted them since I was using a staff. Still kicking myself :P

And I finally got my pvp weapon last night on my priest, and the mh/oh gives over 100 extra intellect while it seemed the staff gave a little more spirit (very little, less than 20 :p). I ended up going with MH/OH because of the extra stat :D

PvP you have a choice, PvE you take what you get.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LA
Could not help but see a lewd comment.
Edited by Pandamonius on 10/9/2013 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]