Merge Disc and Holy.

100 Blood Elf Priest
At first glance I wanted to say "screw you, evil twin" but...
This spec sounds like it would be broken as hell. I approve.

Lol! I totally thought this was Kaels too when I read it in another thread, but I realized he would NEVER have come up with this..."idea"

I may be very protective of Holy, but these days I'm up for almost any crazy suggestion as long as it involves deleting Chakra.
Edited by Kaels on 10/13/2013 6:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Expect next expansion for Chakra to evolve into a "You literally can't use AoE/ST spells outside of the correct chakra and you can only be in a given chakra per encounter". You know there is actually a non-zero chance they might implement that!

Then again, I don't think there'd be a real difference between that and today's Chakra (for 25m at least). <.<
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
What makes you so certain I am the evil twin?

As I said its just an idea, not even one I feel particularly strongly about. It just feels to me as if the need to differentiate the two specs has already just divided priest healing down the middle.

Maybe it's just that I still remember when we only had one viable healing spec and didn't a have a 'niche', we were just good at everything :P
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
10/13/2013 07:41 PMPosted by Kinry
What makes you so certain I am the evil twin?

You have the evil face. :)

10/13/2013 07:37 PMPosted by Korghal
Expect next expansion for Chakra to evolve into a "You literally can't use AoE/ST spells outside of the correct chakra and you can only be in a given chakra per encounter". You know there is actually a non-zero chance they might implement that!

Yep, it'll be in the same patch where they buff Healing Rain by 100% and remove Chain Heal and Riptide.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
At the risk of a firing squad here, I've been tossing this idea around in the back of my head for awhile now. At the end of Wrath they axed tanking in all 3 specs because it ended up being so complex to balance it actually weakened the class trying to keep them unique and balanced. They merged all the tanking into one spec and I'd gather any non-nostalgic DK tank would call it an improvement.

What I'm gonna suggest is this: give us the same treatment. Merge Disc and Holy into one tree.

But that's not the same treatment at all. That's like merging Unholy and Frost into one spec because they're both DPS specs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
No, I rolled this class so I would always have two different styles of healing to decide between. You take away one I would be livid. Im thinking of going Holy soon.

Stop it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I love that priests have two healing specs, that being said, holy's kit leaves a lot to be desired right now. I understand that disc is shields, and will always have the advantage just due to the fact that it will always be better to prevent the damage than it is to heal it, and they are very strong in what they do. I do wish that holy had a more clearly defined role though, our kit is largely lackluster.

Chakra- what other healer has a cd when going from raid to single target? I am really baffled by Chakra. I have heard people say that if you removed the CD it would make holy OP, but take Shamans, most people you ask say a shaman is a raid healer, they have an awesome aoe kit, but they also can keep a tank up, they have earth shield, Riptide, and the deep healing mastery which makes 500k plus heals the norm. This is my biggest issue with holy, no one else has to worry about getting caught with the wrong half of their kit.

CoH- heals for around 30k, my trinkets cleave is currently finishing the fight ahead of it.

Guardian Spirit- would be great if it didn't have a "travel time"

Lightwell- the damage restriction ie. 30% of my health makes it useless on tanks.

Then throw in the huge amount of spirit it takes to make a holy priest run, and presto you have a muddled under represented spec.

I wouldn't want to combine the two, I would love for the dev's to decide where they would like to see holy and work to make that happen.
Reply Quote
16 Gnome Warlock
At the risk of a firing squad here, I've been tossing this idea around in the back of my head for awhile now. At the end of Wrath they axed tanking in all 3 specs because it ended up being so complex to balance it actually weakened the class trying to keep them unique and balanced. They merged all the tanking into one spec and I'd gather any non-nostalgic DK tank would call it an improvement.

What I'm gonna suggest is this: give us the same treatment. Merge Disc and Holy into one tree.

You obviously don't understand the reason they got rid of two Death Knight tanking specs. It wasn't because they had three tanking spccs. it was because Each of the three talent trees was BOTH a tank AND a dps tree at the same time. It was the same reason they ended up giving Druids a fourth tree: it was too difficult to balance a dps and tanking spec when they were both in the same tree. And Death Knights had THREE of them. So they axed two and converted Blood to tank-only.

Holy and Disc are not related to this issue at all.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This spec sounds like it would be broken as hell. I approve.

This. Although I would need to find new keybindings X_X.

I know holy and disc have different playstyles, but they aren't different enough to justify two different specs.

I'd be pretty happy with a spec crunch.

Also Chakra is awful and is the sole reason I stopped having fun on my priest.
Edited by Aíso on 10/16/2013 9:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I know holy and disc have different playstyles, but they aren't different enough to justify two different specs.

Some hunters say the same thing, but that isn't a good reason to collapse them into one spec; it's a better reason to give them more tools that are different from each other.

That is, if it's true in the first place. I have a priest alt but haven't tried disc on it, so I can't really say how different it actually is.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
10/16/2013 09:00 AMPosted by Aíso

Completely disagree. The only thing similar about them is that they both use the same school of spell.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Completely disagree. The only thing similar about them is that they both use the same school of spell

This.

ARguably the only thing Holy does even close to the same, is think about when damage is coming. Becaues they have to a) swap stances b)pre cast poh/pre renew blanket depending

Holy is so different from disc, it's ... not even funny.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Holy is so different from disc, it's ... not even funny

Agreed.

Every class has some crossover with abilities. Holy/Disc with PoH/PoM/90 talents blahblah, Hunters with Arcane Shot, Demo/Afflic and Corruption, etc. Doesn't mean they play remotely similarly or even use the ability in the same way.

I would hate if I didn't have the option to play Holy. I never play it, but I just like knowing it's there.
Edited by Qùess on 10/16/2013 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/16/2013 01:24 PMPosted by Illucia

Completely disagree. The only thing similar about them is that they both use the same school of spell.

And... the fact that they use a lot of the same spells.

PoH, PoM, PW:S, Flash Heal, Binding Heal, Heal, Greater Heal. The only BIG difference is the addition of Spirit Shell and Chakra (which is the worst thing they could possibly do to holy priests with the cd the way it is).

Even in raids, pressing spirit shell and spamming PoH before damage happens doesn't feel much different from precasting PoH and finishing it as damage lands.

This is more of a personal opinion that they don't feel much different, but there are more similarities than spell school : /

(I will point out that I haven't played my priest much since they introduced the abomination that is chakra, so most of my experience is from pre MoP. I'm really rather bitter about what they've done to holy, and I've never really enjoyed disc's linear playstyle.)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
(I will point out that I haven't played my priest much since they introduced the abomination that is chakra, so most of my experience is from pre MoP. I'm really rather bitter about what they've done to holy, and I've never really enjoyed disc's linear playstyle.)

Welp, that explains why your impressions are so off-kilter from what I experience as Holy.

The playstyles really aren't the same at all.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Welp, that explains why your impressions are so off-kilter from what I experience as Holy.

The playstyles really aren't the same at all.

So what makes them different to you? I'm just curious. If they do play different, I may go back to playing holy.

Looking at logs (yours included) the top five heals of disc and holy tends to be:

-90 Talent
-Mastery (passive healing that doesn't spice up your playstyle)
-PoH
-PoM

Some fights have large amounts of PW:S or something random thrown in, but most of the same spells seem to be used.

I'm not trying to make this a personal attacks against priests, you guys are all special snowflakes :D
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

Pretty sure they're about as opposite from one another as you can get, barring perhaps a Disc/Resto Druid comparison.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Pretty sure they're about as opposite from one another as you can get, barring perhaps a Disc/Resto Druid comparison.

Everyone is saying that. Why does noone back it up?

Like I said, I havent played on my priest since cata, but I haven't seen any earth shattering changes.

The healing breakdowns are also generally pretty close.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Disc priest = prevents damage from being taken
Holy priest = HotS and AOE healing

As disc I mainly use (outside of atonement): PoM (sometimes), flash heal (if I REALLY need to), binding heal, PoH + SS, Penance, shield, barrier, + whatever 90 talent maybe a greater heal but rarely.

Holy: Flash heal, greater heal, PoM, renew, lighthwell, divine hymn, circle of healing, guardian spirit, + 90 talent ughhh I forget what else I haven't played holy much :P

Holy has a larger toolkit with chakras tied into it while disc's toolkit is smaller and relies more on damaging to heal and to prevent damage from being taken. Not to mention their passive healing (DA etc).
Edited by Veroicone on 10/16/2013 5:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I get that.

You use most of the same spells. The difference is mitigation vs healing.

Your mitigation comes primarily from three sources: Divine aegis (which is in itself passive since they removed the guaranteed proc from Prayer of Healing), Power Word: Shield (primarily used only in disc, or in some rare cases as holy) and spirit shell (primarily casting PoH, only before damage instead of after).

The rest of the shared spells are identical between holy and (as are their uses)

If you are pressing the same buttons but 5-10 seconds apart, I wouldn't call them "not at all the same"
Edited by Aíso on 10/16/2013 6:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]