Next Connected Realms- Updated 10/14

90 Troll Mage
Thank you for continuing the work on Connected Realms.

I wish it could happen on a faster timetable, but I understand a slower, smooth rollout is preferable to doing it fast and having serious issues.

My question is - will there be more than two realms 'merged' together at some point? Tortheldrin is in a sorry state and most likely needs more than one partner to become decently populated.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I am glad to see that they are continuing their work with this. However, there are issues to be worked out still. Interacting with each other has issues. We are still unable to communicate directly with each other if our realm name is not shown in chat. There have also been issues with interacting with our own realm mates. Trust me, let them do it slowly and use these first few connections to work out all the quirks.

Also, as far as population issues go ... we were very active for the first few days of the connection, but it seems to slowly be waning more and more every day. Now please don't take that to mean that we are going back to how it was pre-connection because we aren't ... we just aren't as active as we were at the connection's rollout.
90 Pandaren Monk
Is it just going to be 2 servers merged or like 4 or 5 "dead" servers merged together? Because if so, can Skullcrusher get merged with Shattered Hand please?
90 Tauren Paladin
fyi bc was the best xpac ppl
90 Dwarf Warlock
The point is it could be easily done, go look at a server statistics page there are tons of servers that could of just as easily been chosen over either one of them and actually give the people on these two realms a good experience. Don't excuse their laziness/stupidity with posts like yours, this is unacceptable it is the perfect time to fix both problems for everyone and yet again like 99% of their chances to fix problems they simply cause another one.

There's not enough alliance heavy pvp servers to go around.

Especially considering they're not merging cross datacenter.

Saw something in another thread. of the top alliance heavy PvP realms, the LA datacenter has 5 of them. That's 5 less for the other three datacenters. :P
100 Human Mage

You do know Black Dragonflight is out of NY and Skullcrusher is out of Chicago?

Unless the Wowpedia article is out of date regarding realms by datacenters, the realms they chose are Eastern realms from New York and Chicago datacenters.
http://wowpedia.org/US_realm_list_by_datacenter
90 Troll Death Knight
10/08/2013 10:39 PMPosted by Oktober

I'm not sure "a future point in time" is insightful or helpful to those waiting and wondering if it's worth transferring or cancelling their account.

literally what im waiting for Blizz. Fix BLACKROCK. >.>

your profile is buged m8. it say's black rock but for some odd reason it says night elf? I think it means blood elf
100 Dwarf Hunter
The whole point of the Connected Realms plan is to address overall population issues. It is not meant to address faction balance. Connected Realms are meant to be permanent: faction balance can change over time. So even if they focused solely on balancing the realms there will always be the potential of players transferring servers/factions and changing the balance.

As for the slow roll out for connected realms I'm ok with it. From an engineering standpoint it makes sense to slowly implement the mergers. They are testing for bugs as well as developing system safeguards to prevent, limit, or reverse damage from catastrophic failures.
90 Dwarf Warlock
The point is when we started on skullcrusher it WAS balanced. Their server/faction xfers is what ruined it for us and they can't even take the extra 5 seconds to choose a proper realm to fix it for all of us? From what i am seeing this merger will do nothing for us on alliance considering the server were merging with is deader than our alliance which is hard to believe lol.

Even if they "fixed" the faction imbalance, it would disrupt itself eventually.

It'll go either horde or alliance heavy again, and the one getting the short end of the stick will start kvetching again.

PvP realms tend to be horde heavy.

After creating your perfect server ratio, how would you maintain it? Would you lock the server so no one could come or go? Would you lock players to it so they couldn't reroll elsewhere? What would you do if they have characters of both factions? What would you do if people just deleted? What if they just left? How would you get back your perfect ratio?

What this guy said.

If they truly wanted to do a balanced pop, they'd have pulled a NCSoft.

Aion had a faction balance lock on it.

If the population of created characters skewed to 52% on one side, NO NEW ACCOUNTS could roll that faction on that server.

Coupled with "one faction per server", this got messy quick. Guilds couldn't even meet up on launch day because the preferred faction(Elyos) were outnumbering Asmodians and the relief wasn't happening.
100 Human Mage
Even if they "fixed" the faction imbalance, it would disrupt itself eventually.

Sadly you're correct about pvp realms. As much as I believe that having one faction unhealthy still means a unhealthy realm, I also believe Bashiok when he says that Blizzard has come to believe that people prefer a faction imbalance in their favor on a pvp realm.

I believe that on pve realms though this same situation can be rectified by an influx of people to the faction that needs help.
Edited by Fairadey on 10/8/2013 11:31 PM PDT
90 Dwarf Warlock
You do know Black Dragonflight is out of NY and Skullcrusher is out of Chicago?

They said they were planning on keeping datacenters together.

Unless the Wowpedia article is out of date regarding realms by datacenters, the realms they chose are Eastern realms from New York and Chicago datacenters.
http://wowpedia.org/US_realm_list_by_datacenter

See above.

To cross datacenters makes no sense. CRZ doesn't hop datacenter and the only thing it'll do is mess with latency.

I specifically picked my datacenter because of its physical location. If they're planning on merging Suramar with say, a NY datacenter, and move all the data there, there is going to be some hell to pay. I paid several hundred to this server specifically for it's physical location.

Sadly you're correct about pvp realms. As much as I believe that having one faction unhealthy still means a unhealthy realm, I also believe Bashiok when he says that Blizzard has come to believe that people prefer a faction imbalance in their favor on a pvp realm.

They do.
100 Night Elf Hunter
10/08/2013 10:53 PMPosted by Nashoba
The point is it could be easily done, go look at a server statistics page there are tons of servers that could of just as easily been chosen over either one of them and actually give the people on these two realms a good experience. Don't excuse their laziness/stupidity with posts like yours, this is unacceptable it is the perfect time to fix both problems for everyone and yet again like 99% of their chances to fix problems they simply cause another one.

There's not enough alliance heavy pvp servers to go around.

Saw something in another thread. of the top alliance heavy PvP realms, the LA datacenter has 5 of them. That's 5 less for the other three datacenters. :P

If Blizzard keep doing this the same way then I expect them to follow thru and make sure Alliance dominated servers stay that way when they do Alliance server mergers by putting them with other Alliance heavy servers.

Anything less would once again prove they are Horde biased.
90 Troll Druid
10/08/2013 05:27 PMPosted by Wyndoor

Overall server population is the end goal, not faction balance.

So now on my realm when we goto do dailies on isle it will be 8v32 instead of 4v16 great fix isn't it.

Oh hush you retrospects do nothing but stay in a group like little midgets fighting for cheese....Ill be glad to know now you will continue to be dominated...FOR THE HORDE!
55 Draenei Paladin
Couldn't we just merge smaller realms and be done with it?

No. All realms must be merged. Leave no realm behind.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm also excited about connected realms, but must support Blizzard in the fact coding is serious business you can't just mash it together and hope for the best. It's like putting a computer together blind folded then hoping it runs.
90 Human Hunter
Thanks for the update! :) I find it very interesting that these realms are not in the same battlegroup!
91 Blood Elf Paladin
dont understand how this is going to help the alliance......instead of 15k v.s. 39k its gonna be 34k v.s. 81k.
Clearly your 12 years old and not thinking. The way they are going to group the realms together there going to even out the populations. There not gonna put 2 high pop horde servers together... derp di der... there going to even it out.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Anyone else feel they are going kinda slow on these? Just 2 realms at a time? I think every realm should be connected in some way to another realm. My realm is medium/high, but I feel ours won't be connected. Still feels like a ghost town in many areas, specially horde side.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]