Healers' Heavenly Handouts (Healer OT)

90 Troll Priest
They'd tell blizzard to go pound sand.

Where does "pound sand" come from?

It brings up ideas of sand in the worst places.

And you know it.
100 Night Elf Druid
10/15/2013 10:52 AMPosted by Naér
They'd tell blizzard to go pound sand.

Where does "pound sand" come from?

It brings up ideas of sand in the worst places.

And you know it.

its a common phrase in some parts of the US that basically means like... go do something useless and trivial to waste your time because i think that's all you're worthy of. :P my grandma used to say it, lol. i don't hear it much around here (California) anymore.

edit: i googled it! because i love to google. "The origin of the expression go pound sand is from a longer expression, not to know (have enough sense to) pound sand down a rathole. Filling rat holes with sand is menial work, and telling someone to pound sand down a hole is like telling them to go fly a kite. The expression dates to at least 1912 and is common in the midwestern United States."
Edited by Bunnylove on 10/15/2013 10:59 AM PDT
90 Troll Priest
Funny how that works.

We all speak the same language by colloquiums deviate and change with region. And they change over time.

If we didn't have the internet, I bet we would have developed even more highly specific dialects.
Edited by Naér on 10/15/2013 11:00 AM PDT
100 Tauren Priest
Idk I never hear it out here in the Midwest.

Trade uses it a lot so maybe they use it in his part of Canada, although idk why since Canada is lacking in sand for the most part. I just use it now because trade does <3 the things we pick up from the ppl we love.
90 Troll Priest
Yeah, my ex was an English major, as well as a linguistics buff.

Bowl, can, war, creek are especially messed up for me from living all over.

floor boards creek
water flowing through is a crik

I /ken/ do something vs I like to can yams

bowl --> bull , the "oh" sound never gets flushed out.
Edited by Naér on 10/15/2013 11:10 AM PDT
90 Human Priest
Idk I never hear it out here in the Midwest.

Trade uses it a lot so maybe they use it in his part of Canada, although idk why since Canada is lacking in sand for the most part. I just use it now because trade does <3 the things we pick up from the ppl we love.

Technically, we have LOTS of sand! A lot of it isn't nice sand, and a lot of it is on rivers/lakes/coastlines in climates which are "useless" for beach-goers.

I live a good ways East of Tradewind's neck of the woods, and I've never heard the expression before. But we've already established previously here that yeah, slang/colloquialisms/accents are quite different across the country, so I'm unsurprised ;)
100 Tauren Priest
Yes well if I ever get a full blown Chicago accent y'all can shoot me. Sometimes I slightly pronounce my O's with A's but it's very slight.

And since easterners and westerners hate each other doesn't really count!
Edited by Rapsidy on 10/15/2013 11:13 AM PDT
90 Troll Priest
people don't know what i'm talking about when i say "sneakers"

? or pop

my mom is getting the accent T_T

My dad still sounds like a boston guy. Even though he grew up in NY, he and my mom spend a lot of time in boston.

Boston seems like a cool place to visit actually.
Edited by Naér on 10/15/2013 11:14 AM PDT
90 Human Priest
pop

wow no
100 Draenei Priest
wow no

my aunt's family from MO calls it that. soda is fine, coke is fine, pop is not fine.
/prejudiced
Edited by Evry on 10/15/2013 11:18 AM PDT
90 Troll Priest
wow no

yeah now I just call it pepsi to annoy people who just call it coke

"I'll have a pepsi" was my dads troll question of choice when we lived in okc.

They were like ummm sir no pepsi here...

"Ugh. Too much bible humping and coke here" or "all you people do is coke and Jesus"

probably good we moved...
Edited by Naér on 10/15/2013 11:19 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Druid
omg i hate when people say pop *dies dies dies dies*

i say sneakers sometimes but generally if i am referring to shoes i am more specific via either brand, style, or purpose. (examples: running shoes, boat shoes, barefoot shoes, pumps, platforms, flats, etc) Sneakers seems too "catch all" for me. :P

I think the absolute worst speech habit I have is the valley girl "up talking" that is so common in southern californians.

like... it was so cool? and oh my god, like, her hair was really ratty? and like, um, like.... i think i'm hungry but i'm not really sure, like, ya know?

............?
Edited by Bunnylove on 10/15/2013 11:20 AM PDT
90 Troll Priest
yes i totes know what you're like, talking about.

and flip flops year round --> oregon thing. Is it raining? flip flops. Sunny? flip flops. Snow? Flip flops

ugh it's not cali guys. Stop pretending it is.
100 Human Paladin
10/15/2013 11:19 AMPosted by Bunnylove
I think the absolute worst speech habit I have is the valley girl "up talking" that is so common in southern californians.

I think that since it's so ridiculously common here that's not too terrible a thing. One of my friends goes into that fairly often. My sister was particularly bad for a while too.

10/15/2013 11:20 AMPosted by Naér
ugh it's not cali guys. Stop pretending it is.

But Cali is the best!
90 Troll Priest
Cali culture would sneak up because people would come to buy the really nice 500,000-1mil homes in Eugene/ Willamette valley from Cali. And as such, it's 20 degrees and snowing... better wear flip fliops.

O.o boggles the mind. I mean, as least there's a beach. GOD I MISS OREGON

<--1 hour that way is beach | valley | 1 hour that way is mountains -->
100 Tauren Priest
You don't wanna go barefoot at the beach for Lake Michigan in Chicago. You'd prolly pick up a std, or hepatitis.
100 Draenei Priest
And as such, it's 20 degrees and snowing... better wear flip fliops

My experience in Cali tells me your average californian would fall over and die if it were 20 degrees and snowing.

[edit] though it's possible they would wear flip flops doing it

Sometime last week it was ~60 degrees when I went out to get lunch and this group of girls from my office were coming back in and one said "oh my god it's freezing." She was wearing, like, pants and a cardigan.
Edited by Evry on 10/15/2013 11:32 AM PDT
90 Troll Priest
and glass yo. Though I was tlaking about how Oregonians think the weather is cali like so they where shorts and flip flops. So silly =P

Only gorgeous lake left is Superior. Well, maybe Erie and Ontario.
But lake Michigan is just like bad news. Too many people nearby.

Superior was my "treat" as a kid. My dad worked 70-80 hours a week trying to put himself through school + pizza boy + garbage man so he had one day off. He'd wake me up at 3am and we'd drive up to Lake Superior and just play the day away.

I did't realize just how much sleep and relaxation he'd give up for a day with me. We'd just sit and look over the lake and he'd teach me about the stars when the sun went down.

Sometime last week it was ~60 degrees when I went out to get lunch and this group of girls from my office were coming back in and one said "oh my god it's freezing." She was wearing, like, pants and a cardigan.

Not surprising. I'd love to go to Caltech for grad school (feynman junkie here). I revel in the idea of warm weather.
Edited by Naér on 10/15/2013 11:36 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
speaking of freezing. I am cold.
100 Goblin Shaman
zZq
It's been anywhere from 45-60 degrees the last week. I've generally been in shorts, sometimes a jacket if the sun has gone down. I don't even own a winter coat. I have a jacket or a hoodie, and that's good enough for 20 degrees.

Might move to Cali next year though.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]