Ganker's Kit of Ganking 2.0

(Sticky)

85 Gnome Rogue
Rogues may be the most feared and / or hated class out in the world. They are built for ambushing the unsuspecting, and can easily punish a target relentlessly. Here are a few utilities you can...utilize...to ensure your quarry doesn't flee prior to satisfying your sadistic tendencies. Don't get caught unprepared!*

*Originally written by Io (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/maelstrom/io/), but I was unable to locate the thread so this is reconstructed from Google, memory and suggestions. I'll do my best to keep it updated.

An unprepared Rogue is the most vulnerable player in the game.
A Rogue's Perspective on Ganking
For 85 levels of the game, a Rogue learns to strike at the most opportune time. This often entails waiting for enemies to path away from a desired mob, or tediously tiptoeing through a cave of elites to assassinate a heavily guarded target and sap their bodyguards. Against players, the same mentality will come into play. Be wary of performing an excessive act in PvP - repeated emoting, corpse-camping or reinforcement overkill will only serve to help the Rogue remember who you are and what you did to them. -WoWwiki.com/Rogue_ganking

Blackened Worg Steak
Track Humanoids, self explanatory.

Elixir of Camouflage
Prevents anyone from tracking you on their mini-map, including Druids, Hunters and Worg Steak users.

Tracker Snacks
For Druids in Cat form, etc.

Rogue's Draught (Pickpocketing)
Healing potion exclusive to Rogues.

+Stealth Effectiveness
Sneaking Potion
or
Stealth of the Stalker (Quest)
and
Various items with +Stealth attributes:
http://shadowpanther.net/stealth.htm

+Stealth Detection
Catseye Elixir (+1)
or
Elixir of the Searching Eye (+2)
or
Distilled Stalker Sight (+3, Quest)
Use to find another Rogue or Druid.

+Invisibility / Detection
Elixir of Detect Lesser Invisibility
and / or
Invisibility Potion
or
Invisibility Field (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84424)
Use to see invisible Mages; the latter two actually bump you into the same realm.

+Anti-CC
Living Action Potion
3 sec. immunity to slows, snares & stuns; usable while stunned. Extra trinket.
or
Free Action Potion
10 sec. immunity to slows, snares & stuns; not usable while stunned.

+Ranged CC / Interrupt
Embersilk Net (Tailoring)
or
Big Daddy (Engineering)
or
High-Powered Bolt Gun (Engineering)
or
Gnomish Poultryizer (Engineering)
or
Discombobulator Ray (Engineering)
or
Arcane Bomb (Engineering)
Frost Grenade (Engineering)
Gnomish Net-o-Matic Projector (Engineering)
The final three reportedly do not share a cooldown with the others. There are also many options for pure ranged damage, such as Hand-Mounted Pyro Rocket (Cataclysm version is "Tazik Shocker" http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82180).

+Decoys
Cardboard Assassin (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84425)
Can take a pet off of you; especially useful with Vanish.
or
Explosive Decoy (Engineering)
Explosive Sheep (Engineering)
Self explanatory. Great fun in lowbie towns.

+Diversions
Fetch Ball
Send your favorite pet running to possibly divert attention from your location. Breaks stealth.
or
Blue Smoke Flare
Green Smoke Flare
Purple Smoke Flare
Red Smoke Flare
White Smoke Flare
Can be thrown from stealth!
or
Rogues Deck (Quest)
Archmage Vargoth's Staff (Quest)
Highborne Soul Mirror (Archaeology)
These will summon a semi-transparent stationary unit that may distract your opponent. Useful with a Vanish or to divert attention while already stealthed. The mirror creates a replica of your character, but it will face your direction, possibly giving away your location.

Critter Bites
Lure your opponents into a false sense of safety. Amass a critter army, stealth, profit.
Edited by Tantojutsu on 3/25/2011 5:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
Blue Crashin' Thrashin' Racer Controller
Crashin' Thrashin' Racer Controller
or
MiniZep Controller
Usable while stealthed! Allows you to explore the unknown from a safe spot. The toys themselves do not stealth, but can serve as a sort of Eye of Kilrogg. New in 2010: The MiniZep allows for air to ground reconnaissance!
As an added bonus with the Racers, enemy players who attack a Racer will become flagged for PvP (apparently the Zep can not be targeted). Also, the Racers can aggro NPCs, but the NPCs will not transfer aggro to you after killing the toy if you are in Stealth.

Ornate Spyglass
Because it has the word spy in it. Also, it allows you to see players beyond your normal max rendering distance. Some Engineering goggles have the same effect, but this item is usable by everyone.

+Slow Fall
Flexweave Underlay (Engineering)
or
Noggenfogger Elixir (Quest)
or
Evonice's Landin' Pilla (Quest)
or
Skyguard's D@%%! (Reputation)
Follow Mages and Priests off cliffs.

+Speed
Glyph of Sprint
Increases your sprint speed to that of a ground mount.
or
Nitro Boosts (Engineering)
Faster than a ground mount!
or
Swiftness Potion

+Water Walking
Glyph of Blurred Speed
and / or
Elixir of Water Walking
Use for chasing Death Knights and Shamans over water.

+Water Breathing
Elixir of Greater Water Breathing
or
Nagrand Cherry (Quest)
or
Deepdive Helmet (Engineering)
or
Hook of the Master Angler (Fishing)
Use these with Swim Speed Potion.

Note - Water: Water makes an excellent stealth spot (suiton-no-jutsu). Rarely will people search here. When they do look, they won't find you.

Note 2 - Bushes: Bushes that fully conceal your character model are a great place to stealth. Even if someone gets within stealth detection range they probably won't see you, though they may hear you. Nameplates do not show up over stealthed characters.

Note 3 - Flying: Flying very high can also remove the threat of your prey getting away. Most players flee to the nearest perch to drink while frantically surveying the ground, but rarely will they look up.

Note 4 - Shields: Damage-absorbing trinkets like Grounded Plasma Shield (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84427) can allow you to re-stealth. If the bubble absorbs damage for 5 seconds, you will exit combat.

+Debuffs
Bag of Marbles (Quest)
or
Glowing Wax Stick (Pre-Cata Quest)
or
Discombobulator Ray (Engineering)

Mirror of Broken Images
Spell resist trinkets will give you an edge against casters.

Bouquet of Red Roses
Bouquet of Ebon Roses
Use one of these on your enemy and they'll leave a trail to follow (assuming they don't remove it). Your target may confuse the red and pink petals for an act of diplomacy or kindness, but black is obviously the mark of death.

Dark Jade Focusing Lens
Shadow Jade Focusing Lens
Shadow Crystal Focusing Lens
These shoot directly at your target and face you to them, so you'll know exactly where they are. The player being focused will be able to see this, but if timed correctly you can do it fast enough that they may not notice it. The macro for this is:
/target <player name>
/use <item name>
Edited by Tantojutsu on 5/18/2011 9:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
+Size Reduction
Pygmy Oil
or
Noggenfogger Elixir (Quest)
or
World Enlarger (Engineering)
There are other items, too, such as Small Feast. Use any one of these for the shrinking effect. Being a smaller target is less noticeable if you wander into someone's field of vision. Gnome pride. (Goblins are okay, too, I guess :P). Noggenfogger is as small as you can get and won't stack with other effects.

+Size Increase
Gigantic Feast (Cooking)
or
Winterfall Firewater (Drop)
or
Elixir of Giant Growth
For terrorizing and intimidating when you are feeling less than sneaky.

+Disguises
Potion of Illusion
Turns you into a mirror image of your target.
or
Lifegiving Seed (Herbalism)
An oblivious opponent may right click you in Herb farming areas, perhaps.
or
Savory Deviate Delight
Now you're a Ninja! (Or a Pirate)
or
Gordok Ogre Suit (Quest)
Carved Ogre Idol (TCG)
Who says Ogres aren't sneaky?
or
Orb of Deception
While they won't fool most people, these can have some interesting uses. A more comprehensive list of disguises can be found at:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Disguise

+Fun Finishers
The Flag of Ownership (TCG)
or
Argent Tournament Banners (Alliance)
Darnassus Banner
Exodar Banner
Ironforge Banner
Gnomeregan Banner
Stormwind Banner
Argent Tournament Banners (Horde)
Orgrimmar Banner
Sen'jin Banner
Silvermoon City Banner
Thunder Bluff Banner
Undercity Banner
or
Blue Smoke Flare
Green Smoke Flare
Purple Smoke Flare
Red Smoke Flare
White Smoke Flare
Can be thrown from stealth!
or
Cro's Apple
or
Deepstone Oil
or
Elune's Candle (World Event)
or
Rainbow Generator (Quest)
or
Fishing Chair (TCG)
or
Romantic Picnic Basket (World Event)
or
Grim Campfire (TCG, or Basic Campfire)
or
Chalice of the Mountain Kings (Archaeology)
or
Druid and Priest Statue Set (Archaeology)
or
High-Powered Flashlight (Engineering)
or
Tol Barad Searchlight (Reputation)
or
Toy Train Set
and
Wind-Up Train Wrecker
or
Lil' XT
With some proper positioning, these make for a very nice ending. Mark your territory, have a victory dance, defile your enemy's corpse, etc.

Soul-Trader Beacon (TCG)
Someone - or thing - to clean up after you and reward your murder spree.

Unusual Compass (Fishing)
The Last Relic of Argus (Archaeology)
Titanium Seal of Dalaran (Fishing)
Add some chaotic chance in choosing locations and targets.

+Final Notes
-Don't forget your Ambush + Vanish macro for instant hilarity on lowbies.
-There's no shame in going out in the world with a full set of raid buffs to give you that extra edge.

*TCG = Trading Card Game (these items are purchased with real-life money)

Thieves' Tools
If you don't know, don't ask.

Please feel free to post suggestions and I'll add them to the list!
Edited by Tantojutsu on 1/26/2011 10:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
43 Blood Elf Rogue
That is a super cool list! *Two Thumbs up*

I'll be sure to check out some of these as I level! TY!
Reply Quote
I've always considered myself a master ganker, but the bit about the Crashin' Racers is a new one. Thanks for the heads up!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
I personally use a few of these items reguraly, and its nice to see them up here (never mind the fact that this character is on a PvE realm).

Just a heads up though, the sneaking potion is, well, a potion, and uses the potion cool down timer, as such i recommend not using it as a health potion is almost always a better option (the only reason you would even use a stealth potion is if you were trying to hide from other players anyway).

Also, Elixir of the Searching Eye is a must have for PvP, if you can farm the mats easily i would even recommend chugging them every bg. has saved my life counless times.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Nice tip on the Racer
Reply Quote
69 Human Warrior
You left out swirly ball.

....R.I.P
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
You left out swirly ball.

....R.I.P

:( R.I.P. indeed, swirly ball. We barely knew thee.
Edited by Tantojutsu on 11/11/2010 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Being an engineer is extremely helpful: mind control, incapacitate bombs, bank/repair/poison/vendor access anywhere, and probably more I don't remember at the moment.

As far as general items, free action potions are wonderful.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
Being an engineer is extremely helpful: mind control, incapacitate bombs, bank/repair/poison/vendor access anywhere, and probably more I don't remember at the moment.

As far as general items, free action potions are wonderful.

Forgot about free action, it's a good one. Added
Edited by Tantojutsu on 11/11/2010 5:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
You could add slowfall and parachute cape too, for those pesky fliers who think they're "safe" high up in the air. Allows you to kill them high in the air and slowfall down to safety.

It seems they got rid of the old-school Potion of Petrification (immunity), but you may be able to make good use of the new form as well, since it would give you an extra second or two if you are waiting on cooldowns.

Reply Quote
For non-engineers add the Skyguard D!!#!. Long CD but something is better then nothing.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
Added^
Reply Quote
60 Undead Rogue
I love you
You're the #1 most awesome Rogue. EVER.
Reply Quote
60 Undead Rogue
I like tossing my Engineer created purple smoke flares. Acts as a warning to enemies and to defile their corpse :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Another slow fall item: Evonice's Landin' Pilla - http://www.wowhead.com/item=18951

Comes from a quest in Searing Gorge, so handy for non-engineers who don't want to grind Skyguard rep.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]