Why is the Lich King So Big?

60 Human Paladin
Why is Arthas so friggin' huge (please excuse the French)?! In game, he towers above trolls (the tallest race in the game)! I'm taking it that Blizzard wanted to make him more threatening by making him bigger than an average human (whose average height would be just below a troll's shoulders), but what is the lore behind this? Does the helmet of Ner'zhul come free with steroids?

What do you think?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
There's no lore to it.

He's big so that players won't have any trouble clicking on him when they need to change targets from dead adds back to him mid-fight.
Same reason that Illidan was so huge.

Purely game mechanics, so that people don't waste time clicking on their party members when they're trying to kill the bosses.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
'm taking it that Blizzard wanted to make him more threatening by making him bigger than an average human...
This, plus what Vaethria said. It's not limited to the Lich King either; most major NPCs are larger than usual.
Reply Quote
60 Human Paladin
There's no lore to it.

He's big so that players won't have any trouble clicking on him when they need to change targets from dead adds back to him mid-fight.
Same reason that Illidan was so huge.

Purely game mechanics, so that people don't waste time clicking on their party members when they're trying to kill the bosses.

Ah...

As for Illidan, I figured he was larger than most because:
1. He is a night elf, and they're tall.
2. He was imbued with demonic energies.

'm taking it that Blizzard wanted to make him more threatening by making him bigger than an average human...
This, plus what Vaethria said. It's not limited to the Lich King either; most major NPCs are larger than usual.

Really? I never noticed on any other NPCs.
Edited by Corinthus on 11/11/2010 2:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Rogue

Jaina's supposed to be like 5'2'' or something really short, but ingame she's about the same size or bigger than a night elf.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman

Jaina's supposed to be like 5'2'' or something really short, but ingame she's about the same size or bigger than a night elf.

http://www.theroommi.com/wow/Pictures/Lady%20Jaina%20Proudmoore.jpg

Great power = greater numbers

Height has a number value

LOGIC! :P
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue

Wow I didn't know Jaina was so small in lore. I always pictured her as an average sized gal...5'6 maybe.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Arthas really isn't that big at all.....I at least come up to his shoulders. Whereas with Illidan and Kael in BC I was hitting them in the kneecaps.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Arthas really isn't that big at all.....I at least come up to his shoulders. Whereas with Illidan and Kael in BC I was hitting them in the kneecaps.

Kneecap hits hurt more than shots to the chest and do much more serious anyway. It's also way harder to recover from an injury like a broken kneecap than it is from wounds to the chest or something similar.

Contention: Illidan and Kael faced gruesome deaths.
Edited by Makorr on 11/11/2010 3:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
Why is Arthas so friggin' huge (please excuse the French)?! In game, he towers above trolls (the tallest race in the game)! I'm taking it that Blizzard wanted to make him more threatening by making him bigger than an average human (whose average height would be just below a troll's shoulders), but what is the lore behind this? Does the helmet of Ner'zhul come free with steroids?

What do you think?

Steroids.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
Roidz.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
I'm thinking Arthas and his cronies have a secret stash of Winterspring ale from those nasty furbolgs. I'm also thinkin' that Arthas is drinking too much and needs to start attending AA.
Reply Quote
In Warcraft, the more powerful the character is, the bigger they are. It goes back, IIRC, to Warcraft 3 where the Hero Units were quite a bit larger than the regular ones. A Paladin's hammer was taller than a footman.

I imagine it's a combination between gameplay reasons and the homage to the 'stronger units are bigger' thing from Warcraft 3. Hence all of the faction leaders being xbawx hueg.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Rogue
All this time we thought Arthas was corrupted due to evil magic... Turns out it was just 'roid rage.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
As for Illidan, I figured he was larger than most because:
1. He is a night elf, and they're tall.
2. He was imbued with demonic energies.

One of the RPG books said Illidan was "nearly 7 1/2 feet tall". Blizzard's statue of him stands 9 feet tall (including the horns) and has a 16 foot wingspan. In WoW, he's closer to 20 feet tall.

Kel'Thuzad is similarly huge in WoW, while the RPG described him as having a 7 foot frame (which then levitated a few feet off the ground).

Lorewise, I expect Arthas would stand somewhere between 6 and 6 1/2 feet tall.
Reply Quote

Dude, in ICC Tirion is twice the height of this toon. Considering tauren are about 7-8 feet tall, that would make him 14-16 feet. The tallest human ever documented wasn't that tall.

--------------------------------------------------------
“And the next time you find a human pup, LEAVE IT BE.” - Grom Hellscream, Lord of the Clans
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Gamma Radiation
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Gamma Radiation

this
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Arthas was standing on gnomes inside his armor like make shift platform boots
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]