Sub PvP going down combat and not assassin?

85 Undead Rogue
First off, I'll tell you right now: I'm a noob to all dps, rogue's especially. I play healers. Keep that in mind. =)

So I was looking at Sub PvP specs, and every one I've seen goes down assassin for puncturing wounds. I was curious if this is viable at all:

http://wowtal.com/#k=fv1IZe69.a8t.rogue.

Going down combat for a silence and root/snare removal. Seems like it's just a defensive option. Thoughts?

Edit: Fixed the link
Edited by Pyrogasm on 11/12/2010 6:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Sadly I'm still gonna go out on a limb and say Burst > Intense Survivability. As a 80/85 rogue you have too many tools at your disposal to really need to take a lot of defensive talents.

In terms of defense. http://wowtal.com/#k=Y_z5HtADZ.a8t.rogue.RJlLFu

Might want to be as bad as it gets. Taking the Cloak/Prep glyph would help with defensive CDs but since 4.0 less and less people take the Prep Glyph for Evasion/Garrote/Sprint glyphs. There is some wiggle room for taking glyphs depending on team comps/minor play preference.

With Imp recup, (counting prep, essentially ) Two vanishes, an evasions, two smoke bombs, two dismantles, and two kicks. There isn't much more you could get that would save you. Because if after that you need more, you might be doing something wrong, or try a different play style.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Thanks for the input. Would you say it's usable without being totally gimped?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I'd say you'd be pretty gimp. Your overall dps wouldn't be able to overcome any sort of healers, even some defensive regenerations. It the long run, I'd say alot of rogue fights are more who can deplete the opponents health first (Simple, right?).

But that requires alot of knowledge for most classes knowing when to pop what CD or if popping another CD is more efficient IE, you're snared by a mage, you can; Trinket, Cloak, or Vanish to get out. Which would you use? Why?

Alittle out of the way but more or less, as a rogue, when you lower your damage output, you're essentially just as much decreasing your chances to win in drawn out fights. Which with more defensive cooldowns and less damage is what your forcing all your fights into. So, backing into a corner there.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue

1. Spec Sub for lowbie PvP
2. Roll face on keyboard
3. Collect honor
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
^ http://wowtal.com/#k=f-A3AAB.a8t.rogue.eAeNq

Wound MH, Crippling OH

Premed < Recup < Ambush < BS < Eviscerate -

If you can stay behind target spam BS, if you're having difficulty, spam Hemo. Open Garrote on healers, throw ruptures on rogues so they can't restealth.

Think that's all you need for 50s bracket.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
In a team-based setting, the combat route probably won't be such a terrible way to go. Remember that you still have shadow dance and it is a very powerful tool for burst/control. In addition to all of our other utility talents for controlling the fight (smoke bomb, shadowstep, shadow dance, etc) it should easily be possible to win a fight without being a powerhouse.

Setting up kills with your teammate, regardless of how you spend your last 10 points really shouldn't be too much of an issue as Subtlety with certain teams.

Now: you should keep in mind that Kick will be putting silences on DR. This could make setting up kills involving garrote-silence a little more difficult, because you will have to keep track of the kick-DR, and your partners may not be happy to find a spell like counterspell be immune. I generally don't pick up the silence-Kick for this reason.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue

1. Spec Sub for lowbie PvP
2. Roll face on keyboard
3. Collect honor

^ http://wowtal.com/#k=f-A3AAB.a8t.rogue.eAeNq

Wound MH, Crippling OH

Premed < Recup < Ambush < BS < Eviscerate -

If you can stay behind target spam BS, if you're having difficulty, spam Hemo. Open Garrote on healers, throw ruptures on rogues so they can't restealth.

Think that's all you need for 50s bracket.

I'm talking about 80 pvp. Yeah, pvp now is more faceroll than my Spriest was at 49 in 3.2. xD

I'd say you'd be pretty gimp. Your overall dps wouldn't be able to overcome any sort of healers, even some defensive regenerations. It the long run, I'd say alot of rogue fights are more who can deplete the opponents health first (Simple, right?).

But that requires alot of knowledge for most classes knowing when to pop what CD or if popping another CD is more efficient IE, you're snared by a mage, you can; Trinket, Cloak, or Vanish to get out. Which would you use? Why?

Alittle out of the way but more or less, as a rogue, when you lower your damage output, you're essentially just as much decreasing your chances to win in drawn out fights. Which with more defensive cooldowns and less damage is what your forcing all your fights into. So, backing into a corner there.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]