Raid Professions: which are best?

85 Night Elf Druid
Are there any two particular professions that best suit raid healing in general? Or is it specific from class to class? If it is general, which are the best two?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Each profession provides a perk and what is "best" is always situational.

In general, it's best to "tier" off professions.

Something like this:

Tier 1 - Absolutely Useless
Mining
Skinning

Tier 2 - Somewhat Useful, but You're Still Bad
Herbalism

Tier 3 - Solid Professions, But Lacks Flexibility
Leatherworking

Tier 4 - Solid and Flexibile
Tailoring* -choice between Regen or Throughput
Jewelcrafting -choice between almost any stat under the sun, extra perk includes the JC Daily which gives a large sum of value because of Dragon/Chimera Eye. Also provides JC only items.
Blacksmithing -choice between almost any stat under the sun, slight flexibility bonus over JC )since not all gems have JC-only version).

Tier 5 - This Is What You Should Be
Engineering* -Lacks flexibility, however it provides bonuses which no other profession can replicate with the Rocket Boots. Haste Gloves are also solid. Provides a bonus to mana because of mana injectors. Supremely well rounded. Also functions as a gathering profession at higher levels.
Alchemy -choice between almost any stat under the sun, extra perk includes Alchemist only Potions and Trinket. Also decreases cost of Flasks.

*Tailoring bonus does not stack with one of the Engineering bonus
Edited by Physique on 11/12/2010 3:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
enchanting is nowhere in your list of professions.

gathering professions: mining, skinning, herbalism. these professions give stat bonuses:

mining: stamina bonus
skinning: crit bonus
herbalism: haste cooldown

the bonuses provided by these are relatively small but for a dps class (especially casters) the crit or the haste can be decent if you prefer to have a gathering profession.

engineering gives one a wide variety of options, especially with how the tinkers now stack with enchantments.

jewelcrafting gives three gems to put into your gearsets that provide more stats the normal.

tailoring has cloak enchants that are better than normal.

leatherworking his better bracer enchants

inscription provides a better shoulder enchant

blacksmithing provides additional gem slots

alchemy provides a double duration flask and increased benefit from using potions or flasks that you have the skill required (not even the recipe) to use.

enchanting provides you with the opportunity to enchant your rings.

generally, for dps engineering is considered to be VERY useful and most of the other professions provide somewhat similar gains... long story short tanks tend to take leatherworking/blacksmithing and jewelcrafting, though mine has engineering/jc and dps classes it's really a toss up but i prefer engi and anything else.

here's a list of tinkers engineering provides that stack with enchants on those slots:

rocket boots: short burst run speed cooldown
hand mounted pyro rocket(gloves): 45 second one shot dps cd
hyperspeed accelerators(gloves): 45 haste cooldown
arachnoweave(cloak): agi/sp increase to cloak
mind control helmet: 45 stam to helm
frag belt: 5 min cd grenade on belt

and more in cata with cogwheels which seem to function in a similar fashion to jc gems.

long story short, most of the "crafting professions" provide fairly similar overall benefit but certain professions are considered to be slightly better for different roles

gathering professions are considered to be less preferable because they do not provide as strong of a benefit overall.
Edited by Kyiris on 11/12/2010 1:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
i'm not sure why you'd list engineering and alchemy as the "best" professions.

alchemy's bonus is nice, but the trinkets are usually useless by the first tier of raiding and having a longer duration flask provides you with nothing but less farm time.

Engineering... i dunno... mana injectors, i'm sure, are going to be on the same CD as a mana pot, so that's not a real bonus at all.

IMO, by far the best raiding professions are BS/JC.

The reason for this is because both of those professions give you a choice in which additional stats you're going to take. If crit is better than int in tier 1 for your class, you can socket JC crit gems and use crit gems in your extra sockets.

if 2 tiers later, haste becomes better than crit, you have the flexibility to get the bonus in that stat instead. Other professions lock you into one bonus ability or stat, whereas JC/BS provides the flexibility to change which stat you're augmenting professionally on the fly.

edit: just read the post above, and if the engineering enchants really do stack with other enchants instead of replacing them, then engineering is a nice profession for DPS classes, for sure. (though, this is the healing forum...)

However, i'm 99% sure that the cogwheels, etc, which function like gems, are only going to be available to put in your engineer created items (like your helm.) I don't think you're going to be able to "Add" cogwheels to your gear and then put engineering specific gems in them. if you could, you'd basically be taking the perks of BOTH jc and bs and rolling them into Engineering (and you're still getting all those enchants).

So, yeah, long story short: engineering "gems" and sockets are probably not going to be in anything other than your engi helm.
Edited by Hebrewshockz on 11/12/2010 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid

The reason for this is because both of those professions give you a choice in which additional stats you're going to take. If crit is better than int in tier 1 for your class, you can socket JC crit gems and use crit gems in your extra sockets.

good point

edit: just read the post above, and if the engineering enchants really do stack with other enchants instead of replacing them, then engineering is a nice profession for DPS classes, for sure. (though, this is the healing forum...)

hyperspeed is nothing to shake a leaf at (lol tree form) for a healer as well, you can use it on cd or activate it or whatever you wish, and it's perfectly fine since it'll stack with your current sp enchant, also who doesn't want +23 haste AND +27 sp to cloak as well as tuskaars AND rocket boots. it's a lot of fun for any class and pretty useful for all roles imo.

However, i'm 99% sure that the cogwheels, etc, which function like gems, are only going to be available to put in your engineer created items (like your helm.)

edit: just read this thread, seems like i may have not had all the info. it's an interesting idea behind cogwheels but they may as well have just made different helms again: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/981608750
Edited by Kyiris on 11/12/2010 2:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
so it seems that engineering is definitely a profession worth looking into - but i fear that the only benefits that outlast the first tier of raid content will be the enchants, if they stack with normal ones.

JC, imo, is almost a must-have for a healer because of the bonuses and the versatility.

I'm going bs/jc on this character, for pve, primarily because JC is awesome and BS compliments it very nicely.

I could absolutely see the argument for Engi > Bs, tho.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Rocket boots will always scale, no matter what tier content. Hyperspeed Accelerators are clutch, and provide haste when you need it the most. Unlike passive haste from gems or elixirs or what not, you can use Hyperspeed Accelerators with the ability you specifically want; for example with Priests you can Macro it into Divine Hymn or Prayer of Healing. Something to note, Injectors have a multiplicative effect with Alchemist stone.

JC actually has slightly less flexibility than BS. It's not obvious, but there are no JC-only epic hybrid gems, only pure color gems. This is mostly non-trivial, though sometimes worth mentioning in case of needing a shorter amount of rating to reach hit-cap and if your gear otherwise has no options. However, the JC daily provides guaranteed money which BS can't match.

Leatherworking is lacking because it only provides one bonus, spellpower, that's it.

Inscription suffers the same fate as Leatherworking.

Ditto Enchanting.

Tailoring provides two bonuses, because there is both a regen trinket and a thoroughput trinket. Additionally for Shamans or Paladins who want to off-spec melee, tailoring provides an AP bonus as well. However, while this is more flexible than Leatherworking, the thoroughput from Tailoring is strictly spellpower and the regen is strictly from "an mp5-type enchant". It's not as dynamic as JC/BS/Alchemy.

It's less thought-of, but Alchemy also provides a variety of stats because it boosts any flask or elixir. It also provides the Alchemy trinket which increases mana from potions. What's important to note here, Alchemy actually provides certain stats which are not available to BS or JC, such as a bonus to resistance or armor.
Edited by Physique on 11/12/2010 3:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Engineering:

Springy Arachnoweave - 27 SP and parachute to cloak, stacks with 23 haste cloak enchant.
Frag Belt - Free Cobalt Bomb every 6min (Scattershot)
Hyperspeed Accelerators - 240 Haste for 12 seconds on gloves every minute, stacks with 28 SP glove enchant.
Mind Amplification Disc - 45 Stamina and Mind Control Humanoids every 10 minutes, stacks with faction head enchant.
Nitro Boosts - Increased Run speed for 5s every 3 minutes, does not override Tuskarr's Vitality

Other Perks:
Jeeves - Repair Bot, Bank access (1hr)
MOLE-E - Mail Box (2hrs)
Wormhole Generator: Northrend (4hrs)
2 Unique Mounts
Consumable Saronite Bombs every minute
and many other goofy effect items
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Springy Arachnoweave - 27 SP and parachute to cloak, stacks with 23 haste cloak enchant.
Frag Belt - Free Cobalt Bomb every 6min (Scattershot)
Hyperspeed Accelerators - 240 Haste for 12 seconds on gloves every minute, stacks with 28 SP glove enchant.
Mind Amplification Disc - 45 Stamina and Mind Control Humanoids every 10 minutes, stacks with faction head enchant.
Nitro Boosts - Increased Run speed for 5s every 3 minutes, does not override Tuskarr's Vitality

-They've removed the passive stats off all the tinkers (45 stam, 26 crit, spellpower/agi).
-All the tinkers except for the glove enchant and the parachute have been moved to the belt slot.
-Hyperspeed Accelerators are terrible for all classes/specs at 85. Do not use!
-Injectors are no longer passive created items but occupy the glove tinker slot (cutting you off from the +480 int tinker)
-Nitro Boosts have had their chance to fail increased dramatically.
Edited by Lebeau on 11/12/2010 8:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Troll Rogue
Alchemy provides lots of utility for your guild. So do enchanting, jc, and inscription.

You really shouldn't kid, under the new itemization system int / agi / str are by far the best stats for their respective classes (maybe not str, its pretty crappy by comparison now) and you wont main gem / enchant anything but these if you can. So the inflexible nature of inscription / enchanting isnt really that bad, considering how it gives you the same int you would get otherwise.

Ask your guildies. Take professions the guild needs, not just those which give you the most numbers.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid

-They've removed the passive stats off all the tinkers (45 stam, 26 crit, spellpower/agi).

i'd like a link to this. last i checked my stats, and this is after 4.0.1 i still gained the extra stats, the descriptions on your actual item haven't displayed +27sp/falling speed slowed for a long time, it's just been the description of what they do. i can confirm that the bonus is off rocket boots, however they are a massive cd in their own right.

-Hyperspeed Accelerators are terrible for all classes/specs at 85. Do not use!

that's probably because at lvl 85 hyperspeed provides a much smaller point for point conversion of haste rating to %, that's nothing new. the only reason they're worse is because they don't provide as much lvl 80 enchant is lvl 80. at lvl 85 we will have access to the int gloves enchant which will be fantastic.

-Nitro Boosts have had their chance to fail increased dramatically.

this has been the case with most tinkers or created items being used past the intended level.

at lvl 85 there will be plenty of enchants to use for engineering:

grounded plasma shield: nearly 20k absorption shield (cd not determined yet)
quickflip deflection plates: 1500 armor for 12 seconds every minute on gloves
synapse springs: 480 intel for 12 seconds every minute on gloves

not to mention the helms that will be fully customizable for at least one raid tier.

they may not even be done with tinkers as of yet.

this isn't to say that the other professions aren't great but afaik tinkers stack with other enchants on items, which can't be said for tailoring or leatherworking.

all this being said, the poster above me is right: find out what professions your guild needs and don't be afraid to fill a niche. that's the most important thing. a self-sufficient guild gets things done faster and less expensively for everyone than one that is stacked with one or two different professions. my guild in particular has an alchemist of every type, jewelcrafters, a leatherworker and blacksmith, several tailors, a scribe, and gatherers as well. it works out quite nicely. :)
Edited by Kyiris on 11/12/2010 9:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Troll Priest
Something to keep in mind that if you're doing rated BG's or arenas in addition to raid healing:

There are several professions that offer a nice consistent bonus for both PvE and PvP, and there are some that get screwed for rated PvP. Make sure to really figure out what you're doing with your toon before you invest the money to raise two tradeskills to max.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Something to keep in mind that if you're doing rated BG's or arenas in addition to raid healing:

There are several professions that offer a nice consistent bonus for both PvE and PvP, and there are some that get screwed for rated PvP. Make sure to really figure out what you're doing with your toon before you invest the money to raise two tradeskills to max.

/\
This. Alchemy is nice because you get 100 Resilience out of a flask that gives everyone else 50. May not sound like much, but when you're a healer taking focused fire all the time in BG's it's actually pretty awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Alchemy provides lots of utility for your guild. So do enchanting, jc, and inscription.

You really shouldn't kid, under the new itemization system int / agi / str are by far the best stats for their respective classes (maybe not str, its pretty crappy by comparison now) and you wont main gem / enchant anything but these if you can. So the inflexible nature of inscription / enchanting isnt really that bad, considering how it gives you the same int you would get otherwise.

Ask your guildies. Take professions the guild needs, not just those which give you the most numbers.

Actually, Healers might prefer Spirit. Alchemy, Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing are the only professions which will give a bonus to Spirit. That said, when we reach Deathwing in Tier-13 or Tier-14 or what not, we might be preferring Haste or Mastery, in which case those same professions are the only ones which will provide a bonus to Haste or Mastery.

Think of the Wrath situation where regeneration was king for Naxxramas while everyone was in Sunwell gear and Heroic 5-man gear. By the time you're killing Heroic Lich King you were in full thoroughput gear. Usually this meant Haste or Spellpower for any class that's not Holy Paladin.

Also, until there are raid-drop enchanting recipes, any alt can provide enchanting bonus or disenchants. There is no need to penalize yourself or your guild when you can get an alt to do something.

You people are nuts if you don't value Rocket Boots in either pvp or pve. Defile? Rocket Boots Psychic Scream?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

Actually, Healers might prefer Spirit. Alchemy, Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing are the only professions which will give a bonus to Spirit. That said, when we reach Deathwing in Tier-13 or Tier-14 or what not, we might be preferring Haste or Mastery, in which case those same professions are the only ones which will provide a bonus to Haste or Mastery.

this is why i consider jc/bs to be the best bet.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Rogue
The problem with comparing spirit to int is that int does provide regen through the current mana formula, and for all healing specs it also has a talent or ability associated with it that restores mana. It increases your throughput and critical strike chance, mana pool and regen. Its an all in one stat that isnt outweighed even in blue gear at 85 by spirit and wont be as you get better gear over time.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for all the great input!

I have several 80's already. My prot pally has JC/BS, my dps DK has Mining/JC. I have an alt prot pally with BS/Engi and a shaman with herb / alch.

I know the BS/JC flexibility is superb, and that engineering is getting some love for Cata. But will Engi remain viable past Tier 11? That remains to be seen. Back in TBC, it wasn't really useful once you could replace your goggles.

The guild I'm in has pretty much all the prof's covered, and numerous BS/JC's in the core raiding group.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Engineering is definitely the most valuable healing profession. Rocket Boot and other utility always win out on a few stat points for a healing class - especially now that engineering enchants stack with regular enchants.

40 more int will rarely save someone's life. Rocket Boots will quite often.

Past that, the most useful profession is probably Jewelcrafting or BS for the versatility in how you receive your stat bonus.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]