Raid Professions: which are best?

85 Night Elf Druid
Do you /really/ need Rocket Boots that often however? There are other (albeit static) alternatives, such as Tuskars.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Do you /really/ need Rocket Boots that often however? There are other (albeit static) alternatives, such as Tuskars.

Rocket Boots can mean the difference between a tank's life or death when Defile and Soul Reaper coincide with one another.

Rocket Boots allow you to outrun danger faster than other healers, while then providing a few casted heals to players who are still outrunning said danger.

Rocket Boots allow you to value your own safety less in favor of keeping many other people alive in several applicable situations (Blistering Cold, for example, or sticking around in a non-ideal spot temporarily so that you can save that dps who just took a huge amount of burst damage).

Rocket Boots can occasionally make up for bad play, originating from either yourself or a fellow raidmate. Everyone makes mistakes here and there, even top-caliber players.

In any case, that extra 40/80 stats or whatever you get won't be a big difference. Gear is less important for healers than any other role in the game because skill is such a huge factor in how strong or weak our healing performance is relative to gear. Rocket Boots on the other hand, are very powerful even if situational. There's a big difference between 7% passive runspeed, and 200% runspeed for five seconds on command - and you can even utilize both simultaneously now, so that's not even a disadvantage to being an engineer now.

No, players don't really need Rocket Boots. But healers don't really need Guardian Spirit, Avenging Wrath, LoH, or healing cooldowns either in a perfect ideal world :p but we tend to use these cooldowns all the time anyways since things rarely go as planned in new/difficult content.

Just pick whatever professions you find most entertaining or enjoyable. Rocket Boots isn't "Everyone must pick engineering up or they're a terrible healer" - it's just a nice and useful perk to have, and you'll definitely find players who do not find Rocket Boots comparable to a higher passive stat bonus.
Edited by Eloderung on 11/15/2010 1:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
you can use tuskaars AND rocket boots. fyi.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
TG
Even though I have bot Alchemy and Engineering professions, I am not really on board with you saying they are the best raiding professions.

I also don't think Engineering for a healing Priest is near the top two. The haste on gloves doesn't actually do anything useful when haste is a joke as disc after a certain (very attainable level) and haste is the first stat as Holy you want to "cap" (and not by something you use 15 secs ever 1 minute.)

I think the argument that Rocket boots "saves lives" is laughable. The defile/soulreaper scenario doesn't really make any sense. Why would your healers be humping each other's legs close enough to stand where every healer would have to move for defile. That's not a profession fixer, that's a strat problem.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Personally I have engineering and alchemy for raiding.

Alchemy because I get a bonus to my pots/flasks(maybe 2 elixirs in cata, still haven't gone through the list since things might still change) and making flasks is cheaper than buying them.

Engineering because I wanted to shrink bosses mostly, but I never got around to making the cool toys on this character. Maybe when I purge some vaults of the old mats I will. The engineering gear enhancements seem to stack with enchanting now, so that's always a good thing. I can't wait to find out about the new enhancements in cata though.

I think blizz tries to make all the professions(the crafting ones at least) about equal for end game buffs.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
You're crazy if you think the haste soft-cap for Discipline Priests is "easily" attainable. I have it, yes, but I am also in full 277s/284s. The change to Enlightenment and nerf to Borrowed Time make it quite a bit challenging to acquire for new characters and it will not be easily acquired at 85.

Burst haste on gloves provides haste when you need it most -- for spells like Greater Heal or Prayer of Healing, and not for spells like Power Word: Shield or Flash Heal.

As far as boots go, think of it this way "if you get some place faster, you can begin to heal faster, which in turn lets you save lives faster".

Also, learn your god damn bosses. Spreading out for every defile is a DPS loss, which sure you can do at 30%, but when the fight was -real- and people on the cutting edge was working on it, the DPS loss was not viable. Stacking up tightly and moving quickly worked better. If you think your strat is the best, go check out Paragon's video/strat. And if you still want to be a whiney-condescending-know-it-all, make sure you check out their kill-dates for 5% and 0%.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

I think the argument that Rocket boots "saves lives" is laughable. The defile/soulreaper scenario doesn't really make any sense. Why would your healers be humping each other's legs close enough to stand where every healer would have to move for defile. That's not a profession fixer, that's a strat problem.

The 30% buff gives an incredible amount of leeway on the LK25 Heroic encounter, and as a paladin I was incapable of doing anything useful unless standing still pre-patch. Even a single second saved by Rocket Boots to begin healing can be a lifesaver, and not only in that encounter - I believe this applies to fights far less difficult than LK25 Heroic at any percent.

You have engineering - why do have the profession if you think rocket boots are worthless, especially as a priest who won't make as much use out of haste gloves as shaman or paladin? Engineering is one of the worst PvP professions now (You can't use that here! You can't use that here!), so I'm just curious what justification there is to engineering if it's not taken for PvE. The choice between 7% 100% uptime runspeed or 5s huge runspeed burst was actually quite a valid comparison, so I'm just curious as to what your justification is for or against engineering now.
Edited by Eloderung on 11/17/2010 5:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
Alchemy tends to be the best profession since you get flexible stat bonuses equivalent to the other professions and then you also get superior mana regen via alchemist-only potions. This will probably remain the case in Cataclysm.

Tailoring in WotLK tends to be fairly weak for healers since it only gives intermittant boosts to spellpower. In Cataclysm, whether or not tailoring is good really depends on your stat weighting of Spirit vs. Int. If Spirit is worth more than about 63% of Int, Tailoring is great. If not, Tailoring is weak.

Engineering isn't really directly comparable to the other professions, especially for Cataclysm (where the information is a bit sparse).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Engineering isn't really directly comparable to the other professions, especially for Cataclysm (where the information is a bit sparse).

I'd still consider engineering one of the most useful professions in Cataclysm even if absolutely nothing was given to the profession, now that the tinkers stack with regular enchants. In entry level raid gear, you would be missing +80 int by not running a passive stat profession, when you're running 90k mana / 6.5k spellpower self buffed with heavy spirit enchanting/gemming.

Of course it isn't directly comparable to other professions, but healer performance can not be dictated by a spreadsheet as dps often are.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I have never based my profession for a toon on what is good in a raid, and no one has every complained about it. Unless you are min-maxing for your guilds attempts at World-First achievements, I dont think that anything you choose will cause you to suffer for it.

My professions usually just end up assigned to whatever toon they seem to fit best, or whoever has an open slot when something new comes out.

Warrior- blacksmithing
Druid, Shaman- alchemy
Priest, Warlock- tailoring
Hunter- engineering
Paladin- jewelcrafting
Death Knight- inscription
Rogues- leatherworking
Edited by Drelnu on 11/17/2010 5:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Alchemy tends to be the best profession since you get flexible stat bonuses equivalent to the other professions and then you also get superior mana regen via alchemist-only potions. This will probably remain the case in Cataclysm.

i completely disagree with this. Alchemy only offers slight bonuses on existing potions, and everyone will be using a flask/elixir to begin with.

You get 16 additional itemization points when you use an elixir. I get the same elixir, minus 16 itemization points, but get 2 additional gem slots from my BS.

Alchemy is a profession who's perks are about making life easier for the alchemist, not so much raw power.

Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
i completely disagree with this. Alchemy only offers slight bonuses on existing potions, and everyone will be using a flask/elixir to begin with.

You get 16 additional itemization points when you use an elixir. I get the same elixir, minus 16 itemization points, but get 2 additional gem slots from my BS.

Unless they've changed it recently, Mixology grants the same marginal stat bonuses as any other profession (corresponding to the elixirs/flasks used). If you've got two identical characters except one has Blacksmithing and one has Alchemy, they'll have the same stats when Flask'd/Elixir'd.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I use alchemy and jewel crafting. They have been close to most optimal the entire expansion and they are also the two highest money professions in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

Unless they've changed it recently, Mixology grants the same marginal stat bonuses as any other profession (corresponding to the elixirs/flasks used). If you've got two identical characters except one has Blacksmithing and one has Alchemy, they'll have the same stats when Flask'd/Elixir'd.

Correct. The only downside to alchemy is that it's inflexible - you can only choose a bonus in int or spirit, but not any other stat unlike blacksmithing or jewelcrafting. Statwise, however, a blacksmith with two extra int slots will equal an alchemist with Mixology (when both players are flasked) or an alchemist with his reusable flask (when neither player is flasked).
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

Correct. The only downside to alchemy is that it's inflexible - you can only choose a bonus in int or spirit, but not any other stat unlike blacksmithing or jewelcrafting. Statwise, however, a blacksmith with two extra int slots will equal an alchemist with Mixology (when both players are flasked) or an alchemist with his reusable flask (when neither player is flasked).

one gem is only 8 itemization points?

how much of a bonus do you get to Int from mixology?

Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

how much of a bonus do you get to Int from mixology?

The same exact number as the bonus you get from socketing two epic +int gems.

If you have three characters of equal gear and spec - one a blacksmith, one an alchemist, one a jewelcrafter with all three stacking int - the following statements are true:

If all three are flasked, then they all have the same stats after profession bonuses.

If none of the three are flasked, then they all have the same stats after profession bonuses assuming the alchemist uses his free and reusable potion. This is why alchemists have a "flask" that is usable in arenas - it's simply their equivalent of two extra gem slots or three jewelcrafter gems.

This applies to every non-gathering, non-engineering profession in the game, and I'm fairly certain this will continue to apply in Cataclysm (I haven't paid attention to professions much). The only difference is that some are more flexible than others, i.e., if I wanted a bonus to spirit as an enchanter, I'm out of luck.
Edited by Eloderung on 11/17/2010 12:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Draenei Priest
Engineering tends to focus more on active abilities. But interestingly, the "Synapse Springs" of engineering appear to give 96 intellect on average, which is better than the 80 intellect given by most other professions. So it looks like engineering will be a very good profession, regardless of whether you want stats or useful abilities.

All other crafting professions give you a stat bonus of roughly equivalent value. The main difference is that some professions give you more stats to choose from. Jewelcrafting, blacksmithing, and alchemy are the most flexible in this respect. Alchemy also makes your flasks last longer, which makes it a top choice for raiding, in my opinion.

http://www.wow-professions.com/news/cataclysm-profession-bonusesperks
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=82175/synapse-springs

Synapse Springs
5 sec cast
Requires Cloth, Leather, Mail, Plate
Tools:

Arclight Spanner
Reagents:
Volatile Water (2), Electrified Ether
Permanently attaches synapse springs to a pair of gloves, allowing a skilled engineer to increase their Intellect by 480 for 12 sec. The gloves can only be activated every minute.

12 out of 60 seconds is only a 20% up time. That's a lot of 'not up time.' Would this tinker stack with a standard glove enchant?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Alchemy and here's why. Vial of the Sands Mount Alchemy Only

Pyrium-Laced Crystalline Vial Sands of Time (8) - 50g depending on the vendor
Truegold (12) - 12000 gold depending on the server economy
Flask of the Winds (8) - 800 Gold
Flask of Titanic Strength (8) - 800 Gold
Deepstone Oil (8) - 800 Gold

Being able to ask all your guildies "Who wants to ride me first"!! - PRICELESS
Edited by Hmrhead on 11/18/2010 11:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

12 out of 60 seconds is only a 20% up time. That's a lot of 'not up time.' Would this tinker stack with a standard glove enchant?

Unless something has changed on beta, yes.

Alchemy and here's why. Vial of the Sands Mount Alchemy Only

Agreed :D

If enchanting wasn't such a huge pain to level, I'd have dropped it for alchemy in a heartbeat for that mount and the gold-saving flask benefits. Maybe I still will before Cataclysm, who knows! (Much hate at how inflexible enchanting benefits are... and I could use that extra enchanting bag in my banks!)
Edited by Eloderung on 11/18/2010 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]