Raid Professions: which are best?

85 Blood Elf Paladin
If enchanting wasn't such a huge pain to level, I'd have dropped it for alchemy in a heartbeat for that mount and the gold-saving flask benefits. Maybe I still will before Cataclysm, who knows! (Much hate at how inflexible enchanting benefits are... and I could use that extra enchanting bag in my banks!)

Dont forget Mixology. You get added benefit from all flasks you can make. I don't know if the math is exactly double, but I do know that the Lesser Flask of Toughness which gives everyone 50 resilience gives me 100. Then Flask of Distilled Wisdom which gives 65 Intellect gives me 93. So there's some funky math going on for them, I just don't know what it is. But all flasks give the alchemist added benefit over and above what's advertised.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

Dont forget Mixology. You get added benefit from all flasks you can make. I don't know if the math is exactly double, but I do know that the Lesser Flask of Toughness which gives everyone 50 resilience gives me 100. Then Flask of Distilled Wisdom which gives 65 Intellect gives me 93. So there's some funky math going on for them, I just don't know what it is. But all flasks give the alchemist added benefit over and above what's advertised.

it's because the bonuses are equal.

you get a bonus of 28 int from the flask, which is exactly the same bonus you get from using a 2 JC int gems instead of regular gems. (each gem is 14 more int than a normal epic gem)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

you get a bonus of 28 int from the flask, which is exactly the same bonus you get from using a 2 JC int gems instead of regular gems. (each gem is 14 more int than a normal epic gem)

So how do I then get 100 resilience out of a flask that gives everyone else +50?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

So how do I then get 100 resilience out of a flask that gives everyone else +50?

Most likely because double effect on normal flasks would be overpowered.

The Mixology benefit varies depending on what is consumed, in the name of balance. As said earlier the "weird" bonus is so that the flask+mixology bonus is exactly equal to a flasked jewelcrafter, or flasked blacksmith if they are gemming the same stat as the flask.

Alchemy is indeed a better healer raid profession than enchanting even without the cost-saving benefits of mixology, thanks to the choice between int or spirit from mixology. Enchanting as always is still stuck with a single stat in Cataclysm: +int.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

[/quote]

i'm not sure - but as Elo said, if they doubled the amount that EACH flask gave you from mixo, every raider would be a alchemist.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

i'm not sure - but as Elo said, if they doubled the amount that EACH flask gave you from mixo, every raider would be a alchemist.

Wow. +130 Intellect in Wrath instead of +93 (which was Distilled wisdom with Mixology). I could have put a diving board on my mana pool.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
So it seems fairly well accepted that alchemy is going to be a leading edge raiding profession for healing, or possibly casters in general.

And engineering seems to be very attractive, ESPECIALLY if it stacks with regular enchants.

But would engineering for +int tinker be better than the +int shoulder from Inscription?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
So it seems fairly well accepted that alchemy is going to be a leading edge raiding profession for healing, or possibly casters in general.

huh?

lol, if anything, we've determined over the course of this thread that there's not a real difference between professions for a healer.

What makes you say alchemy is the better leading edge profession?

And engineering seems to be very attractive, ESPECIALLY if it stacks with regular enchants.

this is fairly true, but really it depends on how much you value rocket boots, as they are they only engineering item that will see any lasting value.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

huh?

lol, if anything, we've determined over the course of this thread that there's not a real difference between professions for a healer.

What makes you say alchemy is the better leading edge profession?

The fact that a lot of posts suggest alchemy. If it is in fact equivalent in terms of itemization, and provides the two buffs we'll likely need most of as healers (int &/or spirit,) and includes numerous other benefits (endless mana pot?) specific to healing, then yes, I would venture to say it seems to me to be a leading raiding profession.

this is fairly true, but really it depends on how much you value rocket boots, as they are they only engineering item that will see any lasting value.

And you base this on what? The int tinker looks very nice as long as it does indeed stack with regular glove enchants.

Also, you ignored my question about inscription.So here's your (#)
Edited by Nestarielle on 11/18/2010 1:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

The fact that a lot of posts suggest alchemy. [quote]

i'm reminded here of my mother, and something about "if Joey jumped off a bridge..."

[quote]If it is in fact equivalent in terms of itemization, and provides the two buffs we'll likely need most of as healers (int &/or spirit,) and includes numerous other benefits (endless mana pot?) specific to healing, then yes, I would venture to say it seems to me to be a leading raiding profession.

Except it ONLY provides a buff to int or spirit. If you want/need haste, or crit, then you're out of luck.

The endless mana pot is nice, but every profession has perks like that. They kind of wash out. JC has it's own dailies, BS has creatable items that can be sold, Inscription has an extra hearth, etc.

I guess I can see how you could say that an endless mana pot is more healing conducive than the others, but to me, short of direct stat bonuses, everything is kind of a wash. That's why i look at stat bonuses directly more than anything... and they all seem to be equal across profs.

And you base this on what? The int tinker looks very nice as long as it does indeed stack with regular glove enchants.

The Tinker is not an item - and i was referring to the fact that the haste to gloves offers a very low rating conversion, agi to cloak doesn't really help a healer, and cobalt bombs out of your belt the same.

Also, you ignored my question about inscription.So here's your (#)

that's because i didn't know the answer... especially considering i can't find jack squat about engineering short of the above mentioned glove, belt, cloak enchants.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Endless Mana potion is a convenience, like the Looterang for engineering or the +1 hour on flask duration from Mixology. It does not stack with normal mana potions so it doesn't actually give you an advantage over other healers in an encounter. A longer flask duration doesn't help you perform better in encounters, it merely helps your gold count up over time.

Alchemy is more flexible than, say, Leatherworking or Enchanting. And its perk of +1 hour duration to flasks tends to save raiders gold. If you're only going for int or spirit, alchemy can function as well as JC or BS for a raider. If you ever need any other stat (and healers have in the past wanted to stack something other than int, sp, or spirit), then you're out of luck unless you're BS or JC.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Leatherworking can be the best since there's no stats enchants on wrist, so if int is your best stat you get the profession bonus plus the difference between int and whatever the rating enchant you would have used. For example, +130 int from LW versus +80 int +65 haste from enchanting. If 50 int is better than 65 haste for you then LW is better.
Edited by Polaro on 11/18/2010 10:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
And its perk of +1 hour duration to flasks tends to save raiders gold.

I'm wondering how frequent the use of the flask cauldrons is going to become. If a guild is using a cauldron once an hour, it seems the +1 hour bonus for alchemists is kind of a waste (at least in that scenario).

Also, does anyone know how exactly the cauldrons work? Can you choose what kind of flask you want from it, or is your flask relegated to you automatically based on spec? I'm mainly wondering if healers will have a choice between int and spirit from cauldrons.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
And its perk of +1 hour duration to flasks tends to save raiders gold.

I'm wondering how frequent the use of the flask cauldrons is going to become. If a guild is using a cauldron once an hour, it seems the +1 hour bonus for alchemists is kind of a waste (at least in that scenario).

Also, does anyone know how exactly the cauldrons work? Can you choose what kind of flask you want from it, or is your flask relegated to you automatically based on spec? I'm mainly wondering if healers will have a choice between int and spirit from cauldrons.

The flasks will add the stat that is most ment for you like the feasts how it s currently working is your highest stat is what is added so if you got more int you get the int flask if u got more spirit you get the spirit flask.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

excellent point - didn't think of ths.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

The flasks will add the stat that is most ment for you like the feasts how it s currently working is your highest stat is what is added so if you got more int you get the int flask if u got more spirit you get the spirit flask.

Don't fish feasts just give you everything (ap/sp/stam)?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Nobody mentioned the fact that if you're offspeccing caster dps, JC is currently a very bad profession for you. The reason is because the Chaotic Meta is basically impossible to activate if you use 3 red gems, and if you use them on yellow slots the bonus is much less effective. I'm not sure about the math for other classes, but Chaotic even with the annoying difficult requirements is still BiS for Booms.

Most flexibility right now = Alch/BS.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
o.O

2 blue gems is impossible to get if you socket 3 reds?

If you're BS, you get 2 extra sockets. Just throw some purples in their and you're good to go.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
o.O

2 blue gems is impossible to get if you socket 3 reds?

If you're BS, you get 2 extra sockets. Just throw some purples in their and you're good to go.

If I recall correctly, the chaotic xxx meta in cata has an obnoxious requirement like more blues than reds :(
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

If I recall correctly, the chaotic xxx meta in cata has an obnoxious requirement like more blues than reds :(

ok, just looked this up, can't believe they changed it, and wow that's retarded.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]