Low level tanking

83 Human Mage
Trying out a warrior alt and I love protection so far but tanking for pugs feels like baby sitting. It seems like every group I have to tell dps, "You pull it you tank it." and "Tell me to go again and I will vote you out of the group." Have I just had a bad run of dungions or is this the norm?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Low level, high level, it's all the same. I love tanking, but not for random groups that much. Raid tanking is a lot of fun.

Here's how you make 5-man tanking fun.

1. Switch your chat window to combat log view. (this is important if people are being annoying)
2. Move at a reasonable pace for what you think the group can handle and what you can handle.
3. PROFIT.

If they pull aggro, taunt, but don't bother taunting off pets. And the number one rule, DO NOT STRESS OUT! I can't emphasize this enough. There is no reason at all to be stressed out if someone who isn't a healer pulls aggro. The worst that can happen is they die.
Reply Quote
74 Human Warrior
Get a slow BoA weapon.

Rend, BnT, then just tab out because no one can out dps you, let alone pull off you

I do about 65% of the damage in a decent group. Back at 30/40/50 I was doing 80-90%.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I'm coming to the conclusion that low level characters are simply too powerful for their "appropriate level "dungeon content.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Stop taking low level tanking so seriously. The dps are likely alts that are bored and with heirlooms and 5 years of nerfing to the content, they can take most pulls in dungeons their level.

You only have 2 jobs in low level instance. 1) keep mobs off the healer 2) keep bosses off of everyone.
Additional note, if you are tlaking about vanilla content, even in vanilla they weren't "tanked" by tanks. They were tanked by hunter pets and dps warriors.

Just enjoy the run and stop trying to be a raid leader for a lvl 30 5 man dungeon
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I think part of the problem, Cricetz, is that people actively engage in behaviors that completely makes "2) keep bosses off of everyone. " really really unfun frequently. There are also folks out there, enough to make life miserable for people with much (strike that, any) sensitivity, who berate tanks for not "winning" a competition that they didn't even set up.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
I'm coming to the conclusion that low level characters are simply too powerful for their "appropriate level "dungeon content.

This, there is no longer a way to level and learn to tank properly or for DPS to learn to DPS in a group/raid.

wait until you hit BC dungeons, with all their tricks like mind control, banishings, chain stuns, etc. they will learn to play some there (or wipe fest)
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Full BoA's minus the ring. (shoulders, chest, the mace, and two haste trinkets with the heal) Random shield.

Charge mob. Rend. Keep running. Mash thunderclap. First mob dies. Victory rush. More thunder clap. More rend. Never stop collecting more mobs. Completely ignore the rest of your party because you don't need them. Finish dungeon. Collect random blue from bag.

Repeat.
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Death Knight

That sounds about right. Although if they tried to make it challenging it'd end up being a real pain. No, I don't mean the challenging part. I mean LFD trying to find characters that all fit inside a certain level range so the dungeon would be a challenge. Since there quite a bit fewer characters at lower levels (guessing here) the dungeon finder has to stretch the level range a bit to find a group reasonably quickly.
Reply Quote
83 Human Mage
Thanks for the responses. Turning off the party chat and just focusing on the healer has been the best advise.

I can duel spec now but I am just going to stay protection, The damage I take as a protection warrior right now is so low I can pull around 20-30 mobs at a time with a strong group and 10-20 with at a time with a bad one. Heirlooms+herbalism+Alchemy= god mode.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
Good advice so far! As pointed out the number 1 issue is not to take it serious. You will have dozens and dozens of folks scream at you for being a 'n00b' or 'phail tank' or any number of other insults your entire career regardless if you do a poor job or an excellent job. If you seek their approval every time that LFD tool pops you will end up burned out and bitter before too long.

Simply, keep a steady pace up, watch the healer mana bar and make smart pulls. If a DPS out threats you then you make the simple call of whether your willing to waste your taunt or not (sometimes you can't afford to waste it on a dps due to mechanics). If they can be saved great, if not oh well. If they keep doing it, pst the healer that you are no longer wasting time on fighting with them and see how many pulls they screw up before the healer stops healing them or vote kicks them out.

Tidy Plates as an addon makes life as a tank simple, if you dont have it, get it. Generally I can pick up an add before DPS can pull them off me with this addon because I can be aware of threat values across all the mobs in the pile at once.

Good luck! All the tard herding is worth it when you start to come across those courteous and skilled players in your travels. I have met a good portion on my guild that way and countless others from other realms in the LFD tool.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Warrior
I love leveling tanks. Tanking is just fun. For random pugs the only opinion you should moderately care about aside from your own is the healer's. If they are pulling aggro from dumping copious quantities of mana on dim witted DPS, that's their fault. I generally abide by the 1 stupid wipe per run rule when I tank and I don't taunt off the same target more than 2-3 times max.

I guess what I love about tanking at all levels is just the steamtrain, juggernaught feel of steamrolling through 5 mans. I love raid tanking too, and I love challenging content, but blitzing through dungeons is fun too. There should be time achievements for every instance in the game.

All this said, I have dps and heal toons too .. everything in moderation!
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Warrior

im leveling a priest, my 3rd. Unless the tank is good, all I generally cast is renew. If the tank is pulling "appropriate groups" I never have to cast anything else. If it's a OVER9000 GS alt, I have to cast heals sometimes. It's sad, but fun too in it's own way.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
im leveling a priest, my 3rd.

You have 3 priest toons? Why?!

On topic: Low level dungeons are a horrible environment to try to learn tanking. While it's annoying when the rogue and hunter keep pulling things, it's true that these dungeons don't really NEED a tank. A decent healer couple probably heal a magetank in the instances in Org and SW (I can't remember their names at the moment). But the higher level you get the more sorted out things are, and the less bad players you get in groups. My pally that I'm leveling is about lvl 50 right now and bad groups that try to pull are much less frequent. They are probably on par with the amount of those kind of groups you would get in heroics at 80. My biggest annoyance leveling now is running the same dungeon 100+ times for 3 level, then running the next one 50+ times for another couple levels, etc etc

tl;dr: Just try to realize that the group being jackasses aren't actually gonna hurt anything, and know that it will get better the higher you level. If you don't let it bother you it's actually kinda amusing
Reply Quote
I have a warrior and a paladin tank at 80. I am leveling my DK as a tank and am at 66 right now. (I don't tank with my 80 druid) I have taken the "totally relaxed leveling attitude" and am enjoying myself immensely. I have learned that DK tanks do not suck, it's the players that are clueless about how to play them that suck. They do take a bit more spiky damage, but are good in general. I only say that because that's what showed me that I need to just sit back and relax while tanking pugs. I pull as fast as my cooldowns allow and the healer has mana for. I pull 5-10 mobs at a time on average unless we have a sub-par healer and that seems to work rather well.

I have had the normal "You suck!! L2P!!!!!!!one!!!!!!1" idiots that feel that the only way to run an instance is at a sprint. I calmly stop everything at that point and tell them they need to leave the group. As we normally are only a few pulls in when they do that, they can't kick me - nor I them. I instead just sit there and tell them to either shut up or leave. 99% of the time they do one or the other after screaming at me for a moment or two. Once they leave and we get someone that has more brains than Jell-O, we're off again and having a grand time. We also normally make fun of the idiot that just left.

No one - and I mean no one - enjoys playing with people that always say "gogogogogo", pull when they are not the tank, or do any of the other normal things that teenagers do in groups. Fortunately pugs are easy to get as a tank, so I have the leeway in heroics or while leveling to just stop. If I stop, the whole group stops. They either leave, shut up, or kick me. Any way you go I'm back tanking in moments.
Reply Quote
18 Undead Warrior
Trying out a warrior alt and I love protection so far but tanking for pugs feels like baby sitting. It seems like every group I have to tell dps, "You pull it you tank it." and "Tell me to go again and I will vote you out of the group." Have I just had a bad run of dungions or is this the norm?

For me it is not so much that they are pulling things left and right as me not having rage sometimes before a pull. Without warbringer, I cannot charge and gain rage and it take about 2 swings to get enough to Thunderclap from 0.

I have settled for the compromise of whoever pulls stuff (except the healer) will tank it until I get enough rage to do what needs to be done. It is easy for Rend->Thunderclap but when you start at 0 rage you are forced to let the mobs run loose until you get enough. This is the most annoying part for me.

If the heals can handle it and the pulls aren't too far apart, I try to drag the last few mobs with rend to the next group so I can keep my rage going and just Thunderclap once the others are in range.

It would be nice if we had a rage generator ability at level 15 for when we start tanking things.

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Classic dungeons and mobs were not tuned to be dealt with so much player power. I have to say it's pretty trivial to enforce "proper" grouping at low levels because mobs die too fast to a point where people can't even get off a proper set-up/rotation/etc.

Back in the day Arms/Fury Warriors just put on a sword & board with defensive stance to tank these stuff.

Unfortunately this does encourage poor group behavior like attacking random mobs, not watching threat, not being organized, etc. Hopefully the incoming low level nerfs as well as new talents & dungeons will help weed out the baddies at 85.

Edited by Tournesol on 11/16/2010 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]