Harrassing through emotes?

9 Night Elf Druid
I've got a question regarding a friend of mine. She's had some issues in the past with some people on our server, and left that guild and put all the characters in question on ignore. Yesterday, she ran into the character in question, as well as someone else from that guild, and they began harassing her using emotes. I didn't ask what emotes were spammed specifically, but she is rather upset regarding the whole situation.

So my question is this: Would this actually be considered harrassment? She claims to have ticketed this before, and been told that nothing can be done unless it's directly to her. Should I have her ticket this again?

Any and all input would be much appreciated :D
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I think I'd ticket this as bypassing the ignore filter.
Reply Quote
9 Night Elf Druid
I've told her to put another ticket in and mention this specifically - certainly hoping it takes care of the harassment, as I'd hate to see her leave over something like this.

Thank you!
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Heya Cluckaboom,
I've got a question regarding a friend of mine. She's had some issues in the past with some people on our server, and left that guild and put all the characters in question on ignore. Yesterday, she ran into the character in question, as well as someone else from that guild, and they began harassing her using emotes. I didn't ask what emotes were spammed specifically, but she is rather upset regarding the whole situation.

So my question is this: Would this actually be considered harrassment? She claims to have ticketed this before, and been told that nothing can be done unless it's directly to her. Should I have her ticket this again?

I would definitely have her open a gm ticket to report these players. She can also report spam if they are spamming the emotes, a gm will gladly investigate this problem.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
They aren't bypassing the ignore feature. Sure, the ignore feature should extend to emotes, but it doesn't. Let's not forget this is only one side of the story.

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Heya Cluckaboom,

I would definitely have her open a gm ticket to report these players. She can also report spam if they are spamming the emotes, a gm will gladly investigate this problem.

How does one do that if the players are *only* spamming emotes. Since there is no way to right click their name when they emote? >.> Yes I've tried before.
Reply Quote
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest

How does one do that if the players are *only* spamming emotes. Since there is no way to right click their name when they emote? >.> Yes I've tried before.

The ability to right-click the name on emote lines was added just before or with 4.0.1 as I recall. It was partly to address the problem of those floating and emoting stolen account toons in main cities.

Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
You wouldn't want to just right-click then choose spam. I believe that sets up the report significantly different than if you actually fill out a GM ticket.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Paladin

The ability to right-click the name on emote lines was added just before or with 4.0.1 as I recall. It was partly to address the problem of those floating and emoting stolen account toons in main cities.

This is wonderful news! :D I know I've heard of people being warned for emote spamming before if it was obviously being taken to extremes, so it's great that they added the right-click on emotes in.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
You wouldn't want to just right-click then choose spam. I believe that sets up the report significantly different than if you actually fill out a GM ticket.

I'm not the op, I was just wondering if you could right click to report spam now. I haven't seen that change yet.
Reply Quote
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest

In the OPs friend's case it is more important to use an in-game petition to report the behavior as ongoing harassment.

I don't recall from the couple of uses of the right-click [Report Spam] of emotes whether it actually ignores further emotes. For some reason, I don't think it did. (This was on one of those floating ads.) If it does ignore the emotes, it could be used in conjunction to block those.

=========

To the OP - just as a thought for your friend also: Many people don't take much time to adjust their chat windows. It is possible to move specific types of comments to a different window or change the color of them. I used that long ago to move all the LocalDefense and WorldDefense "spam" to a window I only view when I want to know where world PvP is occurring. Your friend could do the same to move emotes out of sight, preventing them from being used to make the rest of chat scroll past quickly.

Reply Quote
9 Night Elf Druid
Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone! I've told her to keep ticketing, and hopefully things will get better for her :)

To the OP - just as a thought for your friend also: Many people don't take much time to adjust their chat windows. It is possible to move specific types of comments to a different window or change the color of them. I used that long ago to move all the LocalDefense and WorldDefense "spam" to a window I only view when I want to know where world PvP is occurring. Your friend could do the same to move emotes out of sight, preventing them from being used to make the rest of chat scroll past quickly.

I'll mention this to her, but unfortunately it seems like more of a work around than a solution. She's concerned that the harassment will also affect her reputation on the server. All around an unpleasant situation for her, so hopefully some GM intervention will help :)

Thanks again everyone!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Your friend isn't elitemaiden, is she?

(google is your friend)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Your friend isn't <removed>, is she?

(google is your friend)

Who knows? But regardless, you should edit the name from your post.
This is a public forum and it cause unforseen problems by naming people in posts here.
Edited by Admino on 11/15/2010 8:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Admino, maybe you should do a bit of research before responding. Elitemaiden was a well known troll in game and on the forums...to the point that Blizz posters, especially Coreiel, stopped defending and even warned her to stop posting.

My post was meant to add a little bit of levity for the rest of us reading this thread. Once you see what Elitemaiden was and did to the forums, hopefully you'll better understand. The Encyclopedia dramatica article gives plenty of forum posts to substantiate the claims made. As a bit of WoW history, you should read the posts in question before the old forums go down for good.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I still think the rule about calling out people specifically by name would apply here, regardless of who the person is/was in the past.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I'm not calling anyone out. EM quit playing the game years ago. I'm relaying information about a similar situation and how handling it the wrong way can be counterproductive to getting people to stop. There is a lot to be learned from how both sides acted and reacted.

the official Blizz forum post: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=95399622&sid=1&pageNo=4

You can google the other.

This is relevant in that this is a discussion about harassment and the extent that both sides may go to. Learn from the event and maybe learn a little bit about some of the other aspects of WoW that have happened over the years.
Edited by Zosima on 11/16/2010 7:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
9 Night Elf Druid
While your taking the time to read and respond is appreciated, Zosima, I would just like to ask that you not make assumptions regarding the situation here. The situation in question is in no way similar to the one that you mention. Please don't make assumptions and place blame where it does not belong.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I'm not calling anyone out. EM quit playing the game years ago. I'm relaying information about a similar situation and how handling it the wrong way can be counterproductive to getting people to stop. There is a lot to be learned from how both sides acted and reacted.

the official Blizz forum post: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=95399622&sid=1&pageNo=4

Thank you for that link Zosima,
I can see know why tried to lighten the mood.
I admit that I joined wow after the incidents you mentioned took place so I wouldn't be aware of that fact.

Still, I think you still shouldn't include other toon's names in your posts for the following reasons.

The player base has expanded by quite a lot since then and as I demonstrated, a lot of people would never have heard of the person you mentioned so the misunderstanding of thinking you are calling someone out is understandable.

The possibilities that either the person you mentioned has changed over the years and is no longer the troll she once was, or that she quit/changed her name and another toon is using that name still exist.

Also, it could give the wrong impression to other people that you can post certain names or details of people in the forums.

I'm going to enjoy reading the threads you linked to as a bit of past wow history, but I think that those events should remain in the past.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]