Tanking Idea

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Keep in mind, I haven't exactly looked up most of the Cataclysm fights yet, but I was pondering something.
With the lack of defense on gear now, and the increase in stamina on dps gear as opposed to tank gear, I was thinking of taking a ret set and setting it up for tanking for magic fights. Since there'll be a lack of melee damage incoming, it'd be an interesting way to squeeze out some more hp as well as some extra threat generation.
Thoughts?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Keep in mind, I haven't exactly looked up most of the Cataclysm fights yet, but I was pondering something.
With the lack of defense on gear now, and the increase in stamina on dps gear as opposed to tank gear, I was thinking of taking a ret set and setting it up for tanking for magic fights. Since there'll be a lack of melee damage incoming, it'd be an interesting way to squeeze out some more hp as well as some extra threat generation.
Thoughts?

How would ret have more stam? Stam on gear is going to be in line. Protection spec gives you another 15% stam just for specializing in it. Also, WoG overheals would be better magic mitigation than anything Ret has, unless of course the boss can be interrupted.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Guess I'll reword it.
Take dps plate gear for example. Notice how it has more stamina on it than tank gear. Socket / enchant a set of dps plate gear for stamina, and you have more stam than your actual tank gear.
And I'm not saying to go in ret specced, you would still be prot specced.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I'm currently using 2 ret pieces in my tanking set (for the ret set bonus, and stamina), and it seems to be working decently. I definitely hold threat great, and have more HP than I would in the prot gear, but it was more of an experiment than anything. I'm not entirely sure it was worth the trade off for the avoidance on the prot gear.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Guess I'll reword it.
Take dps plate gear for example. Notice how it has more stamina on it than tank gear. Socket / enchant a set of dps plate gear for stamina, and you have more stam than your actual tank gear.
And I'm not saying to go in ret specced, you would still be prot specced.

Prot gear socket bonuses are making up the stam difference on gear.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Looking at just the T10 ret to prot, adding the socket bonus, the prot set is still falling short on stam compared to the ret set.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]