Launcher cannot obtain patching information.

85 Troll Warrior
Bump with a link to my blog which details my annoyance...

and a picture of a lovely fish....

http://www.kokojesta.blogspot.com/

hey i had this same problem downloading patch 4.0.

my downloader doesnt know there is a patch.... i open the launcher, hit play, logon, it tells me i need a patch. hit restart, downloader opens, tells me warcraft is up-to-date. <this repeats intself over and over.

last time i had this issue i coulndt DL the patch for two days, and the download took almost three days to download.

do the math, i may AGAIN lose a week of payed playtime.

i have read the sticky and tried all that is suggested to no avail.

ROFL WTF! i have tried EVERYTHING (every known "solution") to fix this issue and NOTHING works. It is not us, it's blizzard. $15 a month for 31 headaches a month! *!%! this bs, and *!%! you too blizzard.
Changing everything as you see "fit", every freaking patch these days.
oh so what if we have 12 million subscribers, if we want to change anything in game, we willl! Am i out of line? NO! AT LEAST FIX YOUR %**!.

PS, did a blizz tech really tell us to keep retrying it AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN until it works? LOL WTF!! IS HE INSANE? DOES HE THINK WE ARE?? ahahah WOW /golfclap

k time to move on. too many bugs with this game now, every day.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I am currently experiencing this issue myself. The solutions posted are not working for me, and I know I am behind a controlled internet connection (University connection). Contacting my network administrator and asking them to allow this to download will not resolve the issue for me as I have attempted this in the past and they will not bend policy despite the fact that many on campus experience the same problem.

I'd also like to note that I am attempting to use the mirrors to update my WoW install since I have now done a fresh re-install in an attempt to fix the issue. One of the mirrors (the one for 4.0.0 - 4.0.1) contains an .MPQ file as well as the wow.tfil file. When I attempt to run the launcher after placing these files in my WoW directory, the wow.tfil file is deleted. Only the .mfil file remains, and deleting that doesn't help. I was able to find a .exe off another mirror that resolved this issue.

What I need is a patch mirror for 4.0.3 to 4.0.3a. There are mirrors up for every patch but this. Please, please get this posted ASAP for those of us suffering from this error.

*edit* I'd like to direct folks to this link for those that are still having problems - replacing your .tfil and .mfil files (BOTH, make sure you have a current .tfil file!) resolves the issue.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1104141181

The links to the files are in that thread.
Edited by Auronaki on 11/23/2010 8:03 PM PST
63 Tauren Warrior
I finally got it, but none of the above steps fixed it. My netbook connected to the installer no problem, but not my main PC. I resolved it by copying the core game files (Launcher.exe, WoW.exe, etc) to my main computer. It loaded no problem after that.

I did notice the Launcher.exe versions when I did this. The older version of the launcher was 4.0.0.1807. The new version on my netbook was 4.0.0.2072.

In addition, I found difference with Blizzard Downloader.exe (ver 2.2.1.1302 vs 2.2.1.1402), Blizzard Updater.exe (4.2.0.4429 vs 4.2.0.4623), Repair.exe (4.0.0.642 vs 4.0.0.742), WoW.exe (4.0.0.12911 vs 4.0.3.11329), Battle.net.dll (1.0.0.23346 vs 1.0.0.22365), and Scan.dll (2.2.65.28 vs 2.2.64.27). The mfil/tfil files go without saying, but changing them out had no effect.

When I did this, I started by updating the mfil/tfil files. After, I copied over the files in the Updates folder. When that failed, I copied the patches over from the Data folder. And, after all that failed, I copied the core files. Only after I downloaded the core EXE and DLL files did I have success.

Blizzard, thoughts on this finding? Any chance you can review the changes between these two versions and why some are having difficulty?
Edited by Mignus on 11/23/2010 10:10 PM PST
90 Draenei Shaman
NOTE: Please make sure that you have the most current version of Internet Explorer, even if you do not normally use it to browse the web.

This worked for me. In the process of updating IE from version 6 to 8, windows also required me to run windows update... 85 updates later, including IE8, the launcher works. I can't say for sure that that IE was the exact problem but something in those updates fixed the this launcher problem. Best of luck to everyone else.

Either that or I just needed to restart my computer which happened a few times during the updates.. haha. Guess I'll never know.
Edited by Ciarra on 11/23/2010 11:02 PM PST
90 Human Priest
Okay, so every major patch i get some sort of issue. Unfortunately I've tried all the solutions here bar applying the patch in safe mode, the link seems to be broken.

Honestly not what i need after a long a** day at work.

Running windows 7 and avg anti-virus... Anymore solutions out there? This is seriously frustrating.
85 Troll Death Knight
I can't even acess the support site, I'm running windows 7 and my firewall is turned off, I have rebooted many times. It just doesn't want to work haha. I get the same message as the title of this threat as you could guess. I've tried everything up there as best I can, I'm on a wireless connection. It only just started, I was almost finished the patch too and was playing the game for like an hour or so.
84 Dwarf Shaman
Ive tried everything on my iMac even tried doing a time machine restore on the game files last night, with no result this is very frustrating!
100 Tauren Hunter
Alright this is the issue I'm having. I start up the launcher and it says:
"Failed to download information about the next patch. Check you network."

The thing is, I'm in college and our school likes to block stuff....a lot of stuff. This has happened before but I've just waited it out, but it's not happening this time. I'm guessing I have to go onto another network in order to download.

Oh, I'm on a MAC btw.
Edited by Silvarus on 11/24/2010 2:10 AM PST
90 Human Priest
Okay, been playing Dr. FixBlizzIssues for about 5 hours now and have not been successful. Just tried opening wow.exe and I've got a new error: Your login interface files are corrupt. please reinstall the game.

Should I really? I am totally at a loss with this issue.

Blue posts please, at least let us know your there o.O

BTW still getting same error message from the launcher, oh and my repair tool doesn't connect....

Edit: Tried using the downloaded game client.. it doesn't connect...
Edited by Rheine on 11/24/2010 3:44 AM PST
90 Night Elf Warrior
I am also having this problem. My patch is fully downloaded and installed, yet my Launcher keeps saying "Launcher cannot obtain patching information. Please check your internet connection and try again.". The launcher itself doesn't even launch.

I can use the WoW.exe file to enter the logon screen, but I cannot get past "connecting" at all. Half an hour ago I could connect to the server Dalaran (and no other server), but now I cannot even do that.

My repair tool keeps telling me "Repair is unable to connect to the Bilzzard servers. CPlease check your internet connection and try again."

I have tried every solution privided (bar the 'take ownership', which I am about to try), and nothing works.
90 Night Elf Priest
I am also having this problem. My patch is fully downloaded and installed, yet my Launcher keeps saying "Launcher cannot obtain patching information. Please check your internet connection and try again.". The launcher itself doesn't even launch.

I can use the WoW.exe file to enter the logon screen, but I cannot get past "connecting" at all. Half an hour ago I could connect to the server Dalaran (and no other server), but now I cannot even do that.

My repair tool keeps telling me "Repair is unable to connect to the Bilzzard servers. CPlease check your internet connection and try again."

I have tried every solution privided (bar the 'take ownership', which I am about to try), and nothing works.

This is exactly my issue as well. I played all day after the servers came up, logged out for dinner before raiding and can't get back in. I've tried everything listed in the blue post and nothing has resolved it.
85 Draenei Hunter
my issue is all by itself.....my launcher will open get to around 10% and say lost connection to downloader.....well...the problem that makes it unique..is that there isnt anything blocking this...Nortan antivirus has the downloader/launcher on allow (pc upstairs has it on allow and it worked first time, and not ports forwarded) i forwarded the ports for my PC, and still loses connection... :\
1 Undead Mage

This is exactly my issue as well. I played all day after the servers came up, logged out for dinner before raiding and can't get back in. I've tried everything listed in the blue post and nothing has resolved it.

I am having the same EXACT problem. I have tried literally everything. Not sure what to do now. I really would like to play..
I am having huge issues regarding this. I cnnot connect at all to anything cant even use any of the support websites either coz every address given doesn't load. WTF is going on... Launcher.exe cannot obtain patching information, repair cannot connect to the blizzard servers, wow.exe unable to connect....
This is friggin stupid... how are we suppose to get help to use a product we are paying for when no one answers us and non of your friggin support websites work... where's a F**King phone number to ring and abuse someone... oh wait you dont even provide that!
90 Night Elf Priest
I've yet to find a resolution for this issue. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
90 Night Elf Warrior
I have resolved my issue!

It was my new modem that the family bought despite my old one being fine. I had internet troubles with it, too, and as soon as I disconnected it and reconnected my old one, everything works fine. I can use the Launcher, run Repair.exe, even connect.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]