Launcher cannot obtain patching information.

1 Gnome Rogue
When I try to go to the launcher it loads a small bit stops and then automatically closes serveral minutes later. If I close the launcher and then open it again it close as soon as I open it.
I am having the same issue on a Mac - downloader timing out. I checked the logs... why is the launcher trying to connect to warcraftchina.com? My realmlist.wtf is as it should be for the US.

#-----------------------------------------------------------
# System started at 2010-12-04 16:27:23.3295
# system: iMac
16:27:23.3309 User's computer cannot find IP address for cn.version.warcraftchina.com. User's Internet connection may not be working.
16:27:27.6803 Downloader running hidden.
16:27:32.7972 Downloader has shut down.
1 Undead Warrior
12/04/2010 8:34 AMPosted by Wizzle
I am having the same issue on a Mac - downloader timing out. I checked the logs... why is the launcher trying to connect to warcraftchina.com? My realmlist.wtf is as it should be for the US.

# System started at 2010-12-04 16:27:23.3295
# system: iMac
16:27:23.3309 User's computer cannot find IP address for cn.version.warcraftchina.com. User's Internet connection may not be working.
16:27:27.6803 Downloader running hidden.
16:27:32.7972 Downloader has shut down.
Could be caused by wrong information on your realmlist.wtf.

Do you have any folder in the data folder other than 'Cache', 'enUS' and 'Interface' ?
87 Goblin Mage
THESE UPDATES MAKE ME CRAZY.
Once again, I had to go a wild goose chase to find those damn mfil and tfil files and it always seems to work.
RAGE
85 Human Warrior
I was in the middle of game play when I DCd, tried to log back in and got the message
"Launcher cannot obtain patching information...ect"
I have tried all the suggestions above as well as reinstall the entire game.
Now I cant even get the game to reinstall properly
Since the problem occured mid-game I know its not my fault, no settings were changed

I PAY YOU GEEKS SO AS NOT TO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS GET IT F@#$#$% FIXED!!!
85 Blood Elf Priest
I was suddenly having this same problem and found none of the provided solutions worked. I noticed that when I opened IE that it showed a very old news page. Refreshing this page told me that it was set to 'work offline.' Changing this to online fixed the problem. So another possibility is to check the file menu in IE and make sure that 'Work Offline' doesn't have a tick next to it.
12/04/2010 8:45 AMPosted by Barthus
Could be caused by wrong information on your realmlist.wtf.

Do you have any folder in the data folder other than 'Cache', 'enUS' and 'Interface' ?

My realmlist.wtf is as it should be for the US.
58 Night Elf Death Knight
"applying non-critical updates" wtf cant resolve issue!
85 Troll Mage
Hi folks, I have a problem to start WOW.
I tried many things and read more but still walking.

the error I get is this:

This application has Encountered a critical error:

ERROR # 134 (0x85100086) Fatal Condition
Program: C: \ WoW \ WoW.exe

Failed to open archive Data/wow-update-13164.MPQ. Missing or corrupted data.

Can someone tell me how to fix it?
thank you very much.
1 Undead Warrior
12/05/2010 7:28 AMPosted by Risitas
Hi folks, I have a problem to start WOW.
I tried many things and read more but still walking.

the error I get is this:

This application has Encountered a critical error:

ERROR # 134 (0x85100086) Fatal Condition
Program: C: \ WoW \ WoW.exe

Failed to open archive Data/wow-update-13164.MPQ. Missing or corrupted data.

Can someone tell me how to fix it?
thank you very much.
You're probably missing the wow.mfil, just run the game through the launcher.
90 Tauren Druid
No, I have that file and the game will run on the launcher and I get:

"Can not Obtain Launcher patching information. Please check your Internet configuration"

Needless to say, never changed the settings because I had no problem

If I run the wow.exe i get the above error, the # 134
Edited by Pelado on 12/5/2010 9:34 AM PST
90 Tauren Druid
Solved, I found this in another post. that I get for not using Internet Explorer! lol

NOTE: Please make sure That You Have The Most current version of Internet Explorer, Even if You Normally Do Not use it to browse the web. Also, double-check That it is not set to run in offline mode.

Thank you all!
85 Orc Death Knight
I was having the same problem and it definitely worked for me TY SOO MUCHH
83 Draenei Warrior
Having the same issue as well, extremely annoying. Please keep looking into it and fix it blizz.
80 Undead Priest
Just want to say Thanks to Valenus! I started up IE after ignoring it for over a year. It was on "offline Mode" reconnected to the internet. Cleared the cookies, browsing, etc. Now WoW runs with no problems.
ok i have trying everthing i have seen and them some and i can not get wow to fully install the pach so i can play what am i missing
14 Dwarf Shaman
11/21/2010 7:20 AMPosted by Selmy
This method has worked for me every time I've had the problem:

1. Open your WoW Folder
2. Delete WoW.mfil and WoW.tfil
3. Open Launcher Again

The two files you deleted will be recreated in the folder, and any patch should then start downloading, be applied, or the game should start. I've done this at least 10 times since the patch (likely more), and it has never failed me.

This is what I have to do. Pre 4.0.3 I never had an issue. Now, I have to do this almost every day just to log in. It's really sad. Please fix this Blizzard. This is not on our end.
ok cool thanks
ok sdo i pay 15 bucks a month tyhe a nother 15 bucks a month and i still cant get the game to work what is with the idont think this is right and then when i call in for trc help they tell me there are to meany people and thay cant even put me in the cue this is bull i have tryed everthing that i have been told thiss is bull thay need to fix this soon this is bull
56 Blood Elf Paladin
I just got an installed WOLK an i click on the WOW icon the launcher pops up saying. Launcher requires write permission to the world of warcraft Registry key to successfully locate and run the game. Please enable write access to the registry key using an administrator account. Im the owner of the computer an the administrator i have tried all i could think of an Im getting no where. Help Plz
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]