Hunter melee problems

(Locked)

85 Dwarf Hunter
My 78 BM Hunter is attempting the Quest "The Drakkensryd" where a player jumps from one in flight Proto-Dragon to another and attempts personal melee. Here nearly 100% of the Hunters abilities are removed. No pets, no traps, no snakes, no quick slot commands, no ranged abilites at all allowed and no melee aspects under 4.01. In practise I use the harpoon to change dragons, start the fight, sit back and because I cannot do anything else just die. The aspects introduced in 4.01 are about movement and ranged fighting only. Using this quest as a perfect example I ask for everyones opinion about giving Hunters a melee aspect. Thanks.
85 Goblin Hunter
My 78 BM Hunter is attempting the Quest "The Drakkensryd" where a player jumps from one in flight Proto-Dragon to another and attempts personal melee. Here nearly 100% of the Hunters abilities are removed. No pets, no traps, no snakes, no quick slot commands, no ranged abilites at all allowed and no melee aspects under 4.01. In practise I use the harpoon to change dragons, start the fight, sit back and because I cannot do anything else just die. The aspects introduced in 4.01 are about movement and ranged fighting only. Using this quest as a perfect example I ask for everyones opinion about giving Hunters a melee aspect. Thanks.

Um, don't we have a melee attack? Raptor strike or something. I'm sure the cooldown is pretty minor too (6 seconds or something). I'm not sure because I don't even have it on my bars.

I did the quest you're talking about without using any special attacks, just popped a health potion when my health got below 50% (omg cheater!!).
85 Goblin Hunter

Um, don't we have a melee attack? Raptor strike or something. I'm sure the cooldown is pretty minor too (6 seconds or something). I'm not sure because I don't even have it on my bars.

I did the quest you're talking about without using any special attacks, just popped a health potion when my health got below 50% (omg cheater!!).

You're a CHEATER!!!!
Yes, it's possible to do.BUT you will be in GREAT disadvantage. Worst case scenario is that you will have to wait to be 80 geared, and take health potions. But no matter WHEN you do, it will take a LONG CRAPPY TIME to finish. Be prepared to whistle some tunes after dropping the enemy from the dragons, before jumping to the next.

I wonder if scatter shot would work? That usually does some damage and has no minimum range.
100 Goblin Hunter
This was already thought of by Blizz. Using Raptor Strike during this quest has a chance to proc the following emote: "<name>'s exotic fighting technique throws the Drakerider off-balance.", and dismounts the Drakerider.

Non-broken quest is non-broken.
85 Worgen Hunter
You can kill the riders from another drake, too. You get small windows but it should be enough to take one down as they pass by. The place I found this type of thing to be worse was the quest to protect Brann's flying machine as he flies out of the Engine of the Makers. I really hated that quest.
85 Goblin Hunter
If RS has a chance to dismount the people, then it is a ridiculously low chance or wasn't in the game when I did this quest over a year ago. It took a long time because I was waiting for potions to come off cooldown. Don't remember if bandages worked or not. I know some things that cause you to move will cancel bandages.

Anyway, its doable, but a real PITA
100 Night Elf Hunter
I believe it's a chance on hit type effect for anyone that isn't a melee type. I got a few of them when I did it, and I was dual wielding the agi swords from the Wyrmrest rep vendor.
85 Night Elf Hunter
One
It was always there.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Yeah this quest is annoying as a hunter. I did it a long time ago and it just took a while.

Far worse is the quest "The Brothers Bronzebeard" in which you have to kill the iron guys that are attacking Brann's flying machine. You can only use raptor strike (traps will fall on the ground not the flying machine and your pet is gone) to fend off the attacking mob and unlike the Drakkensryd quest, you will fail if you don't do enough damage because the mob will destroy the plane. At my gear level (everything 232+ except my 226 neck) I had to try three times before I succeeded with 1% health left on the flying machine. I can't imagine trying this quest while leveling :(
85 Worgen Hunter
Far worse is the quest "The Brothers Bronzebeard" in which you have to kill the iron guys that are attacking Brann's flying machine. You can only use raptor strike (traps will fall on the ground not the flying machine and your pet is gone) to fend off the attacking mob and unlike the Drakkensryd quest, you will fail if you don't do enough damage because the mob will destroy the plane. At my gear level (everything 232+ except my 226 neck) I had to try three times before I succeeded with 1% health left on the flying machine. I can't imagine trying this quest while leveling :(

As I mentioned above, I also hate that quest as a hunter. I had to re-do it a few times as well. Raptor + Hand Rockets + Scatter just wasn't enough damage most of the time.
85 Worgen Hunter
This was already thought of by Blizz. Using Raptor Strike during this quest has a chance to proc the following emote: "<name>'s exotic fighting technique throws the Drakerider off-balance.", and dismounts the Drakerider.

Non-broken quest is non-broken.

LOL...that explains why some of them seemed to just fall off when I did this with my Orc last month. I never had problems with this on either of my 80 hunters although when I did this last on this toon we had Mongoose Bite as well.
85 Troll Hunter
The original post mentions a melee aspect. Could they have meant Aspect of the Monkey?
80 Troll Hunter
Shoot a guy on another drake, problem solved :)
80 Draenei Shaman
If I'm not mistaken, you can eat and bandage before jumping to the next protodragon. You can try to use deterrence right after a raptor strike to wait for it to come off cd, I don't remember having that much trouble on my hunter when I did it while leveling up, but back then hunters still had mongoose bite.

(oh yes, I do remember the bit about my unique fighting style)
85 Night Elf Hunter
What about traps
85 Dwarf Hunter
Thanks for all the comments. It is clear that these two melee quests are difficult for a Hunter. I became so dependant on aspect of the Dragonhawk prior to 4.01 to get my Hunters through this quest that my mental attitude still kept on looking for a substitute after 4.01 and there just isnt any. Some Hunters will remember to use Raptor Strike but many will stumble. I stumbled. My bad I guess. I used stacks of "Indestructible Potion" to get through but given the long melee time I used it just before combat and of course that started the cooldown of the health potions. I won when my Health remained above zero when the cooldown finished and I could use a Health Potion otherwise I died. My Warrior and Rogue finished this quest in 10 minutes. My Hunter took 3 nights to kill 10 riders and my repair bill was 28 gold. Oh well. On to the future and that Brothers Bronzebeard quest but this time with Raptor Strike and lots of potions. I just wish I could warn Hunters somehow that Blizzard has changed their approach to mellee away from aspects. Maybe when they die a message would pop up "You can dislodge riders using Raptor Strike" or something. Thanks again for all the threads.
100 Night Elf Druid
Yes
100 Night Elf Druid
Maybe
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]