Paladin Healing in patch 4.01

With patch 4.01, I felt that I had to learn a new way to heal. Before this patch, I was a "Flash of Light" healer. I would spam Flash only mixing in Holy Light when I needed a big heal. Flash was relatively cheap in terms of Manna and I keep heals flowing literally forever without running out of manna. With the patch the manna cost for these spells was essentially switched. Paladins also picked up three new healing spells...Divine Light, Light of Dawn and Word of Glory. I started out by making a chart containing all of my spells with the manna cost, casting time and healing done for each. I used this to come up with a rotation...although to be more accurate, it is more of a web than linear. Healing under patch 4.01 was more of an art then the old system. Paladins can no longer simply spam one or two spells. You need to have more of a rotation that can be modified in reaction to game situations. Taking advantage of the 4 piece set bonus of the Lightsworn armor, I decided to use Holy Shock as my first spell, I follow this with an almost instantaneous Holy Light. Next you have lots of options...If things are generally Ok, you can cast a slow Holy Light. If you need something larger, you can pop either Flash of Light or Divine light. Light of Dawn is another option. After three Holy shocks, you will also have the option of casting a Word of Glory costing no manna. Essentially you have a 5 spell rotation with only the first two set to take advantage of the set bonus. The last three spells in the rotation can be modified to meet your needs.

Healing is a lot of fun and a lot more interesting with the new patch. I like the responsibility.
Edited by Preditorr on 11/14/2010 11:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I have to admit that I was surprised to see many paladins after 4.0.1 clamouring for a return to the pre-4.0 style of healing. I always thought it was almost universally reviled as boring. I'm glad to see that there are a fair number who are enjoying the changes (minus the brand new rough edges).
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Paladin
One of the consistencies of the human condition is to experience change as loss. Or, to put it another way, when something changes, we first focus on what we have lost before learning to appreciate what we have gained.

With such a large shift in healing, and Paladin healing in particular, an initial resistance to the changes is only natural. It will only be after spending enough time for the new style to become "natural" will we start to see more Paladin's posting about the positives in the new system.

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Flash of Light Paladins unite! (albeit now that it doesn't matter...)

Yeah, healing is a lot better, and I imagine that the major QQ about returning to the old style comes from the avid defenders of Holy Light spam. I feel that I was already prepared for this change, and the update just jostles which spells need to be used when.

I try to lead pulls with Judgment for the haste bonus, then throw a Holy Shock at either the target or tank (whoever takes more damage first). From there, I mainly try to time Holy Light and Holy Shock when they are needed, swapping to Word of Glory when Holy Power maxes. Flash of Light for healing big damage quickly, Divine Light generally gets saved for out of battle, unless I REALLY need a BIG heal during a boss fight.

Paladins were always good at throwing big, fast heals, and this patch does a lot more with that, allowing for a little more spread of the healing for raids while still allowing for really big heals directly to tanks. I'm looking forward to the new HoT and seeing how that changes things, but post-4.0.1 healing is definitely more fun, and arguable easier than before.
Reply Quote
We all know that many see every wipe as our fault. It is hard to give up a system where you are effective for a new one. It doesn't matter that if you took the time to learn to work under the new system you might be even more effective. I like the flexibility of our new spells gives us basically two tiers of heals. If we stick to the smaller heals, our manna easily last through long fights. We have flexibility in casting time too. We can also burn through manna cranking out huge heals in emergencies. Our choices give us a lot more to think about.

With this flexibility comes the possibility of making mistakes...Burn through manna, you might not have enough when you really need it. Go to small and your target can die...Find the right balance and you are a great healer. Your greatness comes from you, not your gear or your level. Your mastery of your tools makes you great. That's fun!

PS: Is there anything cooler than popping a light of dawn in a 25 man raid?
Edited by Preditorr on 11/11/2010 3:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Nope.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I also have enjoyed the changes for paladin healing. I feel like I have much more utility and it's actually quite fun to use more than one spell now, and with the change of mp5 to spirit (along with the nerf of Divine Plea), I've found it much easier to manage my mana now than I had before: Mindlessly spamming HL, popping DP with cooldowns (and sometimes keeping it on cooldown without popping anything else) to keep my heals efficient. On top of that, I actually keep an eye on the dps who do take damage, unlike before where I would mainly be focused on healing the tanks. Someone else took damage? Holy shock/quick Holy Light and going back to the tank or: Raid took some damage? Light of Dawn will help fix that (coolest looking spell ever!) Though it did take some time for me to get used to. I do hope a portion of those who QQ about the changes at least give it a chance.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't dislike the new healing model for paladin's exactly, but I do wish that Cata would hit so I can adjust to a style of healing that's slightly more... relevant.
Reply Quote
I don't dislike the new healing model for paladin's exactly, but I do wish that Cata would hit so I can adjust to a style of healing that's slightly more... relevant.

Patch 4.01 basically morphed everything to the way things will be in cataclysm so we can all get used to the changes. Rock on and keep your feet on the ground!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Nope.

Disagree.

Go into Alterac Valley and while 39 of your friends are standing in the tunnel prior to the start, pop it then. It has a +14 coolness buff there. ;-)
Edited by Hmrhead on 11/14/2010 10:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Paladin healing has changed so much since Vanilla wow. I believe this is the best system to date for Holy Pallys. It's probably the most fun spec for me to play out of me 5 toons.
Reply Quote
My biggest gripe is that they changed Holy Light to a slow small heal and added Devine Light as a slow big heal. Now the only choice I have between the 2 is small or big heal, casting time is the same. They could have left Flash of Light and Holy Light alone and added Devine Light as a fast huge mana big heal spell. I will get used to the new cast times but I have seen my HPS drop by about a third. My raw healing numbers have dropped to. Each Holy Light cast is now 1 second slower than my Flash of Light used to be. I am not competitive with the top non-pally healers anymore. This bothers me.
At least they say we will be up near or at the top at 85. I hope so because if the other healers scale the same as a pally then we may not have a place in a raid as a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Now the only choice I have between the 2 is small or big heal, casting time is the same.

Burning Crusade. Holy Light, rank 4 says hello.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Rogue
Welcome to holy priests for the last 3 years.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Welcome to holy priests for the last 3 years.

KEEP
YOUR
BLOODY
PRIEST
QQ
OUT
OF
HERE (KYBPQOOH) <--- new acronym

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
My biggest gripe is that they changed Holy Light to a slow small heal and added Devine Light as a slow big heal. Now the only choice I have between the 2 is small or big heal, casting time is the same. They could have left Flash of Light and Holy Light alone and added Devine Light as a fast huge mana big heal spell. I will get used to the new cast times but I have seen my HPS drop by about a third. My raw healing numbers have dropped to. Each Holy Light cast is now 1 second slower than my Flash of Light used to be. I am not competitive with the top non-pally healers anymore. This bothers me.
At least they say we will be up near or at the top at 85. I hope so because if the other healers scale the same as a pally then we may not have a place in a raid as a healer.

Well im not sure exactly where you stats lye at currently or what gear you do have since a wow heroes is down and also the armory lol. But never the less I can just try to help with anyone having these issues. FOL is now a situational heal via if a tank or raid member is taking a @*%! ton of damage fast this is when FOL should really be used.

To fix the cast time tho really a good haste rating would be advised somewhere in the 900+ range so about 27-percent. While in raid you should be casting around 1.7sec for HOL and DIVINE LIGHT. But holy shock and word of glory are going to be your new main spells along with HOL. With a good haste rating it is easier with keeping up with the other healers in raid. Due to most healers getting there haste cut. I was already stated into the haste rating so for me it was really not a problem. But a lot of issues I have run into and why Holy Paladins do so bad via before patch and after was because of there haste. They just didn't have the right speed to keep up and were only good for tank healing. But i have been healing raid for quite some time and my HPS which i find to be a waste stat to focus on. Due only to the fact it is based on if your heal land then it gets counted as HPS and well with two healing icc with a holy priest we usually share the same healing done and hps. So really i dont find that to be a useful thing to watch out for. But you should be sharing the same healing done per fight via percentage wise. Via HOL/Holy Shock/Word Of Glory and your FOL here an there if needed.

Light of dawn is good for a bigger raid like 25m but in a a ten man where you like to be spread out for encounters isnt really a good spell to use. But mainly again make sure you have a good haste rating and adjust to the new spells and you should see your numbers go up. From what I have experienced ive noticed i have had a increase in healing done so maybe I would just try to focus on those things and see if you like it. There are different things you can try tho but this was just what I found for myself and figured I would share.
Reply Quote
My biggest gripe is that they changed Holy Light to a slow small heal and added Devine Light as a slow big heal.

I will lead off by saying that my healing mentor thinks this approach is for wimps, but I think it is a case of the student becoming the master. this works!

Try leading of with Holy shock, then follow with Holy Light. If you have 4 pieces of lightsworn gear, that holy light will be almost instantaneous. Then pop a flash and repeat this rotation. If you want to replace the flash with something else, you can...If the cooldown on holy shock isn't over pop something else. Build a rotation of your fastest heals. That will get your heals per second up. Even if you don't have the set bonus, there you have some options in you specs to improve the casting time of the Holy Light after Holy shock. To get your heals per second up, you need to use more of your fast heals. I totally agree with the other comments about haste...I even used the level 245 haste trinket for a while (still use in in pvp). Popping that puppy brings my haste up to like 1200.

Before your healing was a matter of level and gear, with patch 4.01, your skill become more important. Get a rotation that works for you and you heals per second will improve.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Nope.

Disagree.

Go into Alterac Valley and while 39 of your friends are standing in the tunnel prior to the start, pop it then. It has a +14 coolness buff there. ;-)

Did LoD waiting for one of the elemental invasions to start in SW for 45 min with at least 150 peeps all on their mounts in one big mount pile.

Happened yesterday. Ridiculous.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
My biggest gripe is that they changed Holy Light to a slow small heal and added Devine Light as a slow big heal.

I will lead off by saying that my healing mentor thinks this approach is for wimps, but I think it is a case of the student becoming the master. this works!

Try leading of with Holy shock, then follow with Holy Light. If you have 4 pieces of lightsworn gear, that holy light will be almost instantaneous. Then pop a flash and repeat this rotation. If you want to replace the flash with something else, you can...If the cooldown on holy shock isn't over pop something else. Build a rotation of your fastest heals. That will get your heals per second up. Even if you don't have the set bonus, there you have some options in you specs to improve the casting time of the Holy Light after Holy shock. To get your heals per second up, you need to use more of your fast heals. I totally agree with the other comments about haste...I even used the level 245 haste trinket for a while (still use in in pvp). Popping that puppy brings my haste up to like 1200.

Before your healing was a matter of level and gear, with patch 4.01, your skill become more important. Get a rotation that works for you and you heals per second will improve.

I wrote for good 10 min for this idea, then my window closed... /sigh...
Summary:
Good post pred!

Consider:
Holyshock grants holy power for WoG,
ergo holy shock redesigned from emergency instant cast to crucial part of healing rotation.

Only concern is FoL's mana consumption. Will add more later, must go now.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]