Curiosity about Being a Healer and Looting

85 Night Elf Druid
I'm not QQing, I'm just curious. I haven't been healing for very long. Only a few weeks, actually, and I am happy that I am pretty good at it for the most part. BUT... one thing that I've noticed is that I don't often get a chance to loot the mobs with the rest of the group. Most often, the tank loots, the DPS loot, and since I am standing just a little bit back (for safety reasons) and am sometimes throwing the last heals on the group once out of combat, by the time I get to the mob, the tank is often running to the next set of mobs and pulling. Sometimes, he or she gets out of range or LOS before I can quickly loot like the rest of the team and catch up.

I'm not complaining or putting down tanks or DPS. I have tremendous respect for all the roles in a group, but I am merely curious if any other healers feel this way and/or if they have any tips for me to loot the mobs and not put my party in jeopardy because I want to loot the cloth, etc too.

When I have DPSd or tanked, I have never run faster than the healer can catch up and always waited for the healer to loot/replenish any mana he or she may need, but I have noticed since I started healing that most people don't do that.

Anyone else experience this, or am I doing something wrong?
Reply Quote
Let them die, tell them that if they want to outrun your healing range, then sucks for them.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Rogue
It's pretty common, to be honest. Most tanks try and go as fast as they possibly can. Many of them completely disregard the healer.

Sometimes you may find that you'll just to have to tell the tank to hold his horses and let you regen, or let him learn the hard way that you get to loot too.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
on all of my healers, I have some variation of
"I need you to be within range AND visible to me to get heals. Don't run off while I'm looting, please." macrod.

You're heals, they're NOT heals. Don't let them die, but if you're running a dungeon for the same reason that most people do (fun, loot, and it's more enjoyable than running dalies on your own/grinding on your own), then you shouldn't let the other players deny you loot/stress you out(thus denying you fun). Just give them a heads up if you're having trouble keeping up. Most tanks don't realize they're doing it, and the ones that do will learn quickly after a few splats.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Warrior
I've had this problem on my healers as well.

As a druid healer it is the easiest to deal with, since I just throw a couple HoTs on the tank as he runs off, and it usually holds him until I've looted and caught up with him.

Also, feel free to not top off dps at 80% or more health. They'll be fine.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Death Knight
Mallary, I'm not sure if you have seen, but on the new Engineering Items, you can make an item called a Loot-a-rang, usable once every 10 seconds which will fly out to the mobs and grab the loot off it and bring it back to you.
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Priest
Same happens to me. Usually if I am not looting for quest items, and I see my normal everyday looting is slowing the pacing of the rest of the group, I just for go looting and heal. If I really want the loot that bad, I usually just stick around after the finally boss and back track the instance. You also get full coin reward too doing that way also, lol.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Warlock
Give it a month. When Cata drops, tanks will quickly learn not to be in such a hurry.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Hunter
I loot everything before i heal the group back to top :D

And if the tank decides he wanna go without a healer... well, thats a hard lesson to learn.

never pull without the healer :D

i'l do my best for him not to die, but if someone decide its "HIS/HER" group... well, it's wrong.

Tanks think they carry the group, because there are not so many tanks but most of the time is the healer that compensate for the faults of the tank and the dps.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
These are all very good points. Thank you! And thank you for confirming that it can be an issue.

I usually do throw a HOT on the tank as he/she is running. The biggest problem is if he/she runs out of range or LOS. Then we have trouble.

I recently had a tank throw out profanity when he ran LOS while the rest of us were trying to loot and regen mana. He got upset. I told him he was LOS, and he quieted down after that.

I don't have the no loot experience every run, and many tanks and DPS I run with have been polite, but I've noticed that often I run into the groups that forget the healer is there with them.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Prior to 80, I agree. Tanks should slow down a smidge because people need to loot quest items. At level 80, sorry, those Fur Clothing Scraps are just gonna rot. If you insist on looting every damn thing in the instance because 42 silver means that much to you, then stop standing at max range.

Give it a month. When Cata drops, tanks will quickly learn not to be in such a hurry because impatient dps won't be screaming "GOGOGOGOGOGO" while facepulling half the instance.

Fixed that for you, and yes, I am looking forward to the change.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I've had this problem on my healers as well.

As a druid healer it is the easiest to deal with, since I just throw a couple HoTs on the tank as he runs off, and it usually holds him until I've looted and caught up with him.

Also, feel free to not top off dps at 80% or more health. They'll be fine.

One thing I love about healing on my disc priest. Bubble/renew everyone as they run off, then loot things and generally dawdle until the bubble drops off and I have to actually hit a button.

My wife is usually the tank so I like her reaction when she's about 20% health and then half a penance heals her to full.

I can't tell if disc priest is really really boring or just really really relaxing yet, only 61. Recently specced my 64 druid's offspec to resto, but haven't given that a go yet, so we'll see how that goes.
Edited by Yukale on 11/11/2010 3:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Hunter
Prior to 80, I agree. Tanks should slow down a smidge because people need to loot quest items. At level 80, sorry, those Fur Clothing Scraps are just gonna rot. If you insist on looting every damn thing in the instance because 42 silver means that much to you, then stop standing at max range.

Give it a month. When Cata drops, tanks will quickly learn not to be in such a hurry because impatient dps won't be screaming "GOGOGOGOGOGO" while facepulling half the instance.

I like to pick up gold from the floor... usually a lvl 80 gray staff worth 4g at vendor, and i AH everything white.

Is not your group... you are 1/5 of it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

Never said it was, pick up all the junk you like.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Hunter

Never said it was, pick up all the junk you like.

Tnx ^^, some of us have many many alts to feed...

i'll loot as fast as i can i promise, auto-loot and all. i even promise to pass on tank/healer loot if one of them hit "need", i will HoT you all that i can so u can run as much as you can...

Just if you don't mind, it may take 1 more minute after the whole dungeon and you can make your healer really really happy :D

If u want some action, pull 4 groups at once, let me loot and pull 4 more groups.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
You have a nice attitude, Aleriax! I like it! :)
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Warlock

I was going to mention something about DPS AOEing everything, but you said it better.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]