Xayton's Tank Guide - Ehh kinda updated

85 Human Paladin
10/04/2011 01:46 PMPosted by Pierox
You shouldnt talk lol.....

Wat?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
How goes the move?

Hope you get back to the forums in full soon. We need you to help us beat some sense into Mith the second...i mean Divinara.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
How goes the move?

Hope you get back to the forums in full soon. We need you to help us beat some sense into Mith the second...i mean Divinara.

Lol, it's going well. Thanks for asking.

Right now, I'm sort of taking a little break from WoW. I'm a little burned out and my left hand fingers have been bothering me lately.

I'll be back don't worry.
Edited by Xayton on 10/14/2011 4:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
When you do get back you need to drink alot of pygmy oil and then log out so i can add your armory to my collection =D
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Xayton:

Wonderful guide, well written and very comprehensive, I send all my new tanks in the guild right to your thread rather than having them try to find everything piecemeal like I did (what are forums? lol). Thanks for giving them a good guide to go off of. We refer plenty to this thread from the tank forums as well.

Even though you're on a break, just curious if you have been reading any of the MoP changes, any initial reactions? Very early to tell but from the lively discussions in the class and tanking forums the talent choices are far from "on rails".
Edited by Jirek on 10/24/2011 3:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Xayton:

Wonderful guide, well written and very comprehensive, I send all my new tanks in the guild right to your thread rather than having them try to find everything piecemeal like I did (what are forums? lol). Thanks for giving them a good guide to go off of. We refer plenty to this thread from the tank forums as well.

Even though you're on a break, just curious if you have been reading any of the MoP changes, any initial reactions? Very early to tell but from the lively discussions in the class and tanking forums the talent choices are far from "on rails".

^^ Thanks.

Umm I'm really not a fan of the talent changes to be honest. It is still going to leave things very cookie cutter for Paladin tanks.
Edited by Xayton on 10/24/2011 3:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey guys, I switched my Ret spec to Prot a while ago now. I just came by to ask if anyone thinks I'm ready to do some heroics?

Note that I know I need to get a better belt (hence why I don't have a belt buckle on it), and finish off my enchants (low on money).

I can tank normals pretty much no problem at all.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Woah! Well thanks a lot! that pretty much covers every thing i need to know. and thanks for the eagle eye on that helm reforge. But i was wondering if i would be ready for raid healing, for example BH, BOT, BD? TOFW?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Xayton can i ask some question as i think i cant find it in your guide?

What will u choose if u have to choose between "two better stats gears two 391 but u lose 4set bonus" or "two lousy stat tiers 378s for 4set bonus"?

Is the 4 set bonus really worth that much?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
so like check me out dude ur toon is very good and i hope u reply to tis note im giving u right now allience
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
anybody on?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
hey man this is a great post. I just started tanking so its a lot for me to take in, but very helpful. I had a question not sure if its stupid but what is the block cap for us?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Well. My rotation is just AS-CS 3 times(if 2+ the HotR)- Holy Wrath- Judgement- SotR- Repeat
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I will be tanking Firelands soon, and I have a very important question. When should I use my cooldowns? Like Avenging Wrath, Divine Protection, and Argent Defender.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Xayton is in the process of moving and will be away for a while. If i catch him on facebook ill let him know he has a few questions.

hey man this is a great post. I just started tanking so its a lot for me to take in, but very helpful. I had a question not sure if its stupid but what is the block cap for us?

You are block capped against bosses and level 88 mobs when fully raid buffed your dodge+parry+block+5%miss>=102.4% Past this all block is wasted.

11/08/2011 08:09 AMPosted by Blite
Well. My rotation is just AS-CS 3 times(if 2+ the HotR)- Holy Wrath- Judgement- SotR- Repeat

Eh re-read Xaytons section on rotation. Its really helpful.

11/11/2011 06:27 AMPosted by Blite
I will be tanking Firelands soon, and I have a very important question. When should I use my cooldowns? Like Avenging Wrath, Divine Protection, and Argent Defender.

Avenging wrath is mainly a damage cd and should be used along with Divine plea and exorcism into Avengers shield on boss pulls. If your all out of other cds you can combine it with Divine plea (and a divine plea cancel macro) for an emergency cd...but this requires more than one button push.

Divine protection is on a short cd so unless you foresee an major damage event where you will need to chain cds for long periods of time you can use it on cd. Same goes for holy shield.

GoAK is good for MAJOR telegraphed damage moves or OH !@#$ moments.

AD is similar (though i personally would believe it should be considered our premiere OH %^-* Button as it effectively gives you infinite EH while its up) however, there are some encounters that you can cheese using it. For instance it allows us to survive meteor damage. This was almost a broken mechanic on Major domo in firelands.

Divine shield combine with a cancelaura macro can remove almost ANY debuff but make sure to taunt first.

WoG can be used as a quick clutch heal or you could using AW+DP->wog to create a mini bubble for incoming magic damage if your at full health.

Divine guardian-good for using during aoe damage phases of fights or if you see things spiraling out of control and your raids health dangerously low.

Hand of protection- Good for saving a dps, healer, removing certain debuffs (if DS is on cd and you dont still have forbearance) but it also shines as a way to remove bad debuffs from your co-tank. Either let them know ahead of time so they can cancel it or follow it up with a hand of freedom so they dont lose aggro....of course you could use it to force a tank swap also.

Hand of sacrifice-helps your co-tank if they are out of cds

Hand of salv-good for tank swaps too.

Hand of freedom-use it to remove any roots/snares on you or your raid members

LoH-MAJOR heal for you or a raid member. Be aware of forbearance.

I think thats it but im sure Xayton might correct me on one or two when hes back.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks Cely, I will read the rotation. Also thanks on the CD guide, it is really helpful.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
What Action Bar Addon and a CD addon shoudl I get? Also, in Grid. When I am in a raid group will the old profiles go away with only Grid left? If not is there a way to remove the profiles?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
11/13/2011 05:35 PMPosted by Blite
What Action Bar Addon and a CD addon shoudl I get? Also, in Grid. When I am in a raid group will the old profiles go away with only Grid left? If not is there a way to remove the profiles?

I would recommend powerauras and Bartender.

I dont use grid so i cant help there.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok thank you
Reply Quote
18 Draenei Paladin
What do the 3 macro's do? I tried both of the Divine and they didn't cancel the effect.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]