Xayton's Tank Guide - Ehh kinda updated

(Locked)

100 Blood Elf Paladin
11/15/2011 04:15 AMPosted by Creseli
What do the 3 macro's do? I tried both of the Divine and they didn't cancel the effect.

Macros execute top-down, so it's a simple order of operations.

Divine Shield Cancel Macro
#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cast Divine Shield

You'll see that the /cancelaura is listed before the /cast. If you were to reverse that and have the /cast followed by the /cancel, you would activate and instantly de-activate DS by hitting the macro.

The /cancelaura is included so that you can activate the ability and quickly de-activate it with another touch of the macro. Historically, this was done to clear DoT's and fear effects.

Here's how a double-click would go:

/cancelaura Divine Shield --> No such aura at the moment, does nothing
/cast Divine Shield --> Divine Shield activates
/cancelaura Divine Shield --> Divine Shield cancels
/cast Divine Shield --> Divine Shield is on cooldown and cannot activate, you'll get an error

Does that clear it up? You have to hit the macro twice to activate and cancel the effect. The macro is written this way to give you flexibility in when to cancel the effect. There are times when you don't want to instantly cancel Divine Shield or Divine Plea.
Edited by Baneoftruth on 11/16/2011 9:59 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Just curious if your going to do a 4.3 guide? I think you should do one. Is it selfish i want you to do it just for me?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
11/17/2011 05:48 PMPosted by Weirdone
Just curious if your going to do a 4.3 guide? I think you should do one. Is it selfish i want you to do it just for me?

In what way have things changed to warrant a 4.3 guide?

Rotation is the same.
Talents choices are the same.
Glyphs are the same.
Gems are the same.
Enchants are the same.

What more would Xayton add?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have been in afghanistan since march 2011, and wont be coming home until march 2012.

If nothing has changed in a year ( and im sure it has ) Then dont write one.

but the OP was for update to 4.2, so i would be happy, to come back from a mision someday before i come home and see...update to 4.3.

I tried pally tanking before i left and was horribad at it, just from reading this i am armed with some amazing knowledge. i feel more confident in my tanking without being able to log in haha.

Maybe i should have explained myself a little better?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I dont think you'll have much to worry about. The changes our spec need look like they are all being pushed back to the next expansion.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
O.K. sweet!!!

Its so hard playing catch up after a year long deployment, and this is the 5th time i have had to do it. Maybe by time i come home Brady games will have the new dungeon manual out, the one they did for Wrath was amazing and really helpful.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
My gear needs enchants, like REALLY needs enchants. And my professions are Mining and Skinning, none which are capped. My gold is only 2k, so I am poor. Do you think I should take Enchanting, or keep both gathering professions and farm good by getting skinning or ore or what?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
11/28/2011 06:40 AMPosted by Blite
My gear needs enchants, like REALLY needs enchants. And my professions are Mining and Skinning, none which are capped. My gold is only 2k, so I am poor. Do you think I should take Enchanting, or keep both gathering professions and farm good by getting skinning or ore or what?

Drop skinning for JC.

JC is an awesome tanking proff and though its hard and expensive to max, afterwards its pure bank.
90 Human Paladin
Xayton is temporarily without internet--posting this on his behalf:

my guide is for the most part still 100% accurate for 4.3 and as soon as I am able to play again I will make any adjustments and changes.
Edited by Esteemed on 11/29/2011 10:47 AM PST
90 Human Paladin
11/18/2011 02:26 AMPosted by Celyndrashad

Rotation is the same.
Glyphs are the same.
Gems are the same.
Enchants are the same.

There are a few minor differences:

-The DPS values for the talents have shifted around slightly thanks to the Judgement buff. That's a fairly trivial issue though, since the ordering hasn't changed.

-The rotation has actually changed in a few minor ways.

The Judgement buff has increased its priority. In general, SotR>CS>J>AS (>Cons>HW) is going to be preferable to the AS>J prioritization prevalent in 4.2. Xayton's guide still has J>AS in the Beginner rotation as a leftover from 4.1, I think, so that's fine, but the Intermediate rotation should probably be updated.

The intermediate rotation should probably introduce the concept of Grand Crusader prioritization; in other words, casting AS>J when Grand Crusader is active and the AS will grant Holy Power. I've denoted that as "AS+" in my sims, so the ideal filler ordering would be AS+>J>AS>Cons>HW. I think it's probably best to leave that detail out of the beginner rotation though, just for simplicity.

The advanced rotation still uses the conditional SotR prioritization, but the filler priority has changed (again, due to the Judgement buff). SotR(if Inq or SD)>Inq>CS>AS+>J>AS.

-The new 2-piece bonuses (both Ret and Prot) have some impact on things. The Ret bonus is primarily of interest for people parse-hunting, because it's a pretty huge DPS increase (~1k DPS or so last I checked).

The prot bonus raises some interesting questions about glyphs and talents (buffing Judgement to get more absorption from the bubbles). In my opinion it's all superfluous because the effects are so tiny, so I don't see Glyph of Judgement or Arbiter of the Light being any more attractive now than they were two weeks ago. But people will argue about it anyway. /shrug

Again though, these are mostly minor differences - clarifications moreso than corrections. A tank that's starting out would still be well-served by following the guide in its current form.
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Rotation is the same.
Glyphs are the same.
Gems are the same.
Enchants are the same.

There are a few minor differences:

-The DPS values for the talents have shifted around slightly thanks to the Judgement buff. That's a fairly trivial issue though, since the ordering hasn't changed.

-The rotation has actually changed in a few minor ways.

The Judgement buff has increased its priority. In general, SotR>CS>J>AS (>Cons>HW) is going to be preferable to the AS>J prioritization prevalent in 4.2. Xayton's guide still has J>AS in the Beginner rotation as a leftover from 4.1, I think, so that's fine, but the Intermediate rotation should probably be updated.

The intermediate rotation should probably introduce the concept of Grand Crusader prioritization; in other words, casting AS>J when Grand Crusader is active and the AS will grant Holy Power. I've denoted that as "AS+" in my sims, so the ideal filler ordering would be AS+>J>AS>Cons>HW. I think it's probably best to leave that detail out of the beginner rotation though, just for simplicity.

The advanced rotation still uses the conditional SotR prioritization, but the filler priority has changed (again, due to the Judgement buff). SotR(if Inq or SD)>Inq>CS>AS+>J>AS.

-The new 2-piece bonuses (both Ret and Prot) have some impact on things. The Ret bonus is primarily of interest for people parse-hunting, because it's a pretty huge DPS increase (~1k DPS or so last I checked).

The prot bonus raises some interesting questions about glyphs and talents (buffing Judgement to get more absorption from the bubbles). In my opinion it's all superfluous because the effects are so tiny, so I don't see Glyph of Judgement or Arbiter of the Light being any more attractive now than they were two weeks ago. But people will argue about it anyway. /shrug

Again though, these are mostly minor differences - clarifications moreso than corrections. A tank that's starting out would still be well-served by following the guide in its current form.

This is all true, i just dont think those are big enough changes to warrant a new guide.

But since your here, since the 2nd point in reckoning is now simming to be a 100-200 point gain in dps would you agree that the 1/2 GrC spec now surpasses 1/2 Reckoning?

At least for single target tanking =P
Edited by Celyndrashad on 12/8/2011 10:38 AM PST
100 Human Paladin
Great Pally Tanking Info! Thanks!

I have read practically every guide to Pally Tanking and have applied many suggestions. With my current enchants/gear/gems/stats I am sitting at 93.88 CTC. Aside from flasks, food & other consumable items - how can I get to 102 CTC???

Doesn't seem likely attainable with the current setup I have.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Great Pally Tanking Info! Thanks!

I have read practically every guide to Pally Tanking and have applied many suggestions. With my current enchants/gear/gems/stats I am sitting at 93.88 CTC. Aside from flasks, food & other consumable items - how can I get to 102 CTC???

Doesn't seem likely attainable with the current setup I have.

Your main issue is your trinkets. The first trinket is a dps trinket and should not be used for tanking. Mastery procs are NOT good for pally tanks and str is nearly useless for anything other than increasing your tank dps.

Veil of lies is not a bad trinket but not the type of trinket you should be using to reach the CTC cap.

You should get the mastery/resist trinket from TB and you should try and get the valor mastery trinket. This combo WILL block cap you.

Also this is how you should reforge for max Damage reduction

If it has threat stats on it reforge them to mastery if you can, avoidance otherwise.
If it has two unequal quantities of avoidance, reforge the larger one to mastery
If it has equal amounts of two avoidance stats, reforge the one that you have too much of to mastery

This is how you reforge for max CTC:

Same as above BUT If it has avoidance/threat and the avoidane is 3x greater than the threat stat reforge off the avoidance.
I

How to tell what avoidance stat to reforge off on gear with equal amounts of dodge/parry:

You want your UNBUFFED dodge RATING to be about 200 RATING higher than parry.

So to get slightly more damage reduction and CTC out of your gear you should reforge all the parry on your mastery/parry gear to dodge. But things like your bracers would be fine reforged the way you have them.
100 Human Paladin
@Celyndrashad, thanks much. Will take into account the info you have given.
86 Blood Elf Paladin
PowerAura's works also to know the debuff you have? for example fading light from Ultraxion?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
About to get Fire of the Deep, and it's showing me at 102.39% CTC. Just wanted to make sure that was correct.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/11/2011 10:51 AMPosted by Paladín
PowerAura's works also to know the debuff you have? for example fading light from Ultraxion?

It should. So long as you have the correct debuff name.

About to get Fire of the Deep, and it's showing me at 102.39% CTC. Just wanted to make sure that was correct.

By my math that puts you at 101.23% CTC unbuffed. With raid buffs you should be way over the block cap.

My rule of thumb: If using mastery food/elixirs/and full raid buffs add 4.7% to your unbuffed CTC to get your raid buffed CTC.

You could probably trade out the mirror for a stam trinket on fights where you dont need the mirror's clicky.
Edited by Celyndrashad on 12/21/2011 11:53 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
That's great, actually. I have Soulshifter Vortex too, but everyone talks down about it.

Edit: Also have Veil of Lies, Darkmoon Card: Earthquake, and Brawler's Trophy, on top of what I have on now.
Edited by Lilynette on 12/21/2011 9:23 PM PST
100 Human Paladin
Finally hit CTC of 101.38 <unbuffed>!!!

Thanks to Xayton for this perfect tank guide & to all other tanks/players who helped paved the way for true tanking players to kick @$$ in this game!
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Stupid Indomitable Pride.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]