Switching Specializations

90 Night Elf Hunter
  • Background

• Switching Specializations

• What Happens When Unlearning a Specialization (see near the end about skill points)

• Background

The situation regarding profession specializations has changed over the course of WoW evolution, from 23-Nov-2004 to the present. As of this writing, two professions have specialization options:

Engineering: goblin, gnomish
    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/professions/engineering.html

Alchemy: elixir, potion, transmutation
    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/professions/alchemy.html

Up until Patch 4.0.1, three other professions had specialization options: blacksmithing, leatherworking, and tailoring. With the release of that patch those three professions are no longer specializable.

At game launch, when a character completed a specialization quest, the result was permanent -- as the quest text indicated. There was nothing that the character could do to change specializations in that profession. Even unlearning, re-learning, and re-leveling the profession did not allow such a switch.

Patch 1.10 (Storms of Azeroth, 28-Mar-2006) introduced the ability for engineers and leatherworkers to switch specializations. The method required was extreme -- unlearn the complete profession and start over from scratch -- but the capability was nevertheless appreciated. A bit later, the same option became available to blacksmiths, though this was never mentioned in any official Blizzard patch notes.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_1.10_%28Release_Notes%29

Patch 2.0.3 (The Burning Crusade, 9-Jan-2007) changed how blacksmiths and leatherworkers could change specialization. The fee-based method was born. Also introduced with this first WoW expansion were all-new abilities for tailors and alchemists to specialize. (As with engineering, the ability to switch specializations required a complete unlearning and re-learning of the tailoring or alchemy craft.)
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_2.0.3_%28Release_Notes%29

Patch 2.1.0 (22-May-2007) added a fee-based mechanism for tailors and alchemists to switch specializations.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_2.1.0_%28Release_Notes%29

Patch 3.2.0 (4-Aug-2009) added a fee-based mechanism for engineers to switch specializations.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_3.2.0

Switching Specializations

You must first unlearn your current specialization, and then you can obtain another one.

• Engineering

• Read the book Soothsaying for Dummies which is on a table in Narain Soothfancy's house. He lives in the northern part of Steamwheedle Port, on the northern coast of Tanaris (western continent of Kalimdor, Azeroth). Pay the 150 gold fee to unlearn your current specializaiton.

To learn another specialization, two different techniques seem to be needed, for different players. One is to read the above book a second time and you will be offered a choice. The second is to do the quest sequence (beginning in Rachet) for the specialization you desire.

• Alchemy

• Speak to your current specialized trainer, and pay the 150 gold fee to unlearn the specialization.

To learn another alchemy specialization, seek out the appropriate specialized trainer and ask to be taught their branch of knowledge. No quest required.

What Happens When Unlearning a Specialization

• After you have unlearned a given alchemy specialization, you simply no longer have a chance of a multiple yield when crafting items of the school from your prior specialization. You lose no formulae (because there are currently no specialized alchemy formulae). You will not lose any alchemy skill points.

For engineering:
    • There are schematics who's tool-tips indicate that they produce specialized items (e.g., Goblin Rocket Launcher). You will lose all such specialized patterns when you unlearn the corresponding specialization. (Patterns which were directly learned via a trainer can be re-learned if you ever re-acquire the specialization. Patterns which are quest rewards will be gone forever.)

• You will also lose the ability to equip any items that you might have crafted from those now-lost patterns. If you have any such items equipped at the moment that you unlearn the required specialization, the item will lose all durability. The next time that your character encounters a game loading screen (login, entering a continent or dungeon, etc.) such specialized items will be auto-unequipped into your bags.

• For engineering, you will not lose any skill points.

If you re-learn a specialization, you will be able to re-equip and fully use any items that you had previously crafted under that same specialization.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Hunter
    The above post just barely fits into the quota for one forum entry. If you find any errors or have suggestions, please let me know! Thanks.
    Reply Quote
    This was a sticky from the other profession forum. Can we get a stick again, please? I've already clicked the Like button :)
    Reply Quote
    Read the book Soothsaying for Dummies which is on a table in Narain Soothfancy's house. He lives in the northern part of Steamwheedle Port, on the northern coast of Tanaris (western continent of Kalimdor, Azeroth). Pay the 150 gold fee to unlearn your current specializaiton.

Narain Soothfancy's house got destroyed with the Shattering. He is now located at the camp north of The Gaping Chasm, and so is the book.
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Death Knight
    i have a hunter wit BS profession. how can i change my profession to tailor? anyone kno how?
    Reply Quote
    I recommend changing your Wowwiki links to Wowpedia as Wowwiki is no longer being updated. The articles and contributors from Wowwiki.com have moved to Wowpedia.org.

01/26/2011 10:24 PMPosted by Tankurun
    i have a hunter wit BS profession. how can i change my profession to tailor? anyone kno how?

If you open the professions sections of your spell book (deafult keybind K), there should be a small red "no" symbol next to your Blacksmithing. Click this to unlearn Blacksmithing completely. After doing this you will be able to train Tailoring. Once you unlearn a profession, you lose all learned recipes and skill associated with it.
    Edited by Choonster on 1/26/2011 10:35 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Hunter
    Thank you all for the insight on this matter
    has I too am considering changing my skinning skill
    to Blacksmith and keeping my Mining. I feel strongly
    about this cause I believe they go hand and hand you gather
    minerals and gems and some cloths and you have the ability
    to make some nice stuff to trade or sell to vendors in different
    areas you journey too and I remember when I had skinning and
    leatherwork; seems that the stuff being made was just worthless
    it may have been cause I was lower lvl hunter and had not got
    to get to the better places to kill and skin and now that I like the mining
    and have seen some of the stuff I can do with Blacksmith; especially the
    sharpen tool for my axes and swords just makes them more valuable to me
    in times of real duels and I do appreciate some of the more knowledgeable
    players given good advice to move up in this wonderful game
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warrior
    I do not have the "unlearn" crossed out circle. I have removed all mods, have tried repairing the game and finally, even re-installed the game via client download.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
    Reply Quote
    The book is there, but... when you read it, you'll find that "The pages of this book have been destroyed"!!! I've looked at the other Narin Soothfancy location in Tanris as well, and there's no book there at all.

So, unless someone knows any differently (I hope?), there is no longer a way to switch engineering specialties (save restarting the profression)
    Reply Quote
    90 Tauren Death Knight
    The book is there, but... when you read it, you'll find that "The pages of this book have been destroyed"!!! I've looked at the other Narin Soothfancy location in Tanris as well, and there's no book there at all.

So, unless someone knows any differently (I hope?), there is no longer a way to switch engineering specialties (save restarting the profression)

you talk to the trainer in the main capital city to unlearn then start the quest to learn the new specialization
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]