How do we explain the new Priest Race Combo?

90 Undead Priest
This is your take on how to explain their change to or existence of the Priest class in a previous race and/or new race. It's more for fun :D

Worgen- Previously Human, so they sorta inherited it...they seem to have a very Gothic feel and their previous belief in the Light transcends with them.

Gnome- There's been Gnome Medics, and with the coming Cataclysm, probably scaring more of them into being "God Fearing" or trying to do all they can in a world gone mad.

Goblin- Seems backwards, considering they're all chaotic and use technology more, but then again they could see a use for the destructive powers of a shadow priest...and make Goblins pay for healing recent burns, missing limbs or any other sort of technological disaster.

Tauren- Seems weird that a nature based race would shift to believing in the Light, or for that matter, using Shadow (they sort of hate locks...and Forsaken to a certain extent(Death Knights excluded, they weren't give a choice...or free will)). I'm thinking instead of the Light, they perceive the Sun as a basis of power for Paladins and Priests, such as the Night Elves do for the Moon. They probably see Shadow as an Eclipse or Nightfall to the class, a natural part of nature.

Like to see some other speculations!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
The thing about priest is... you don't need to be of the same 'denomination' to get the same results. In the end, priests of any race can worship whatever 'holy' deity they want and unlock the powers of light and shadow.

IMO, if they let undead... excuse me Forsaken... *roll eyes* use holy powers, anyone can.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Every culture needs to have a spiritual leader of some sort.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Faith transcend races. I have a fine explanation for the new priest races: we manage to convert them to the Light and Shadow in these troubles times! Everyone know that when the end of the world is coming people flock to cults and religions muahahaa. Puts back on her doomday cardboard,Repent! the end is near!
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Priest
I always thought the Forsaken priests were explained as "bending the light"
Reply Quote
Troll priests be usin' the voodoo. Not much Light there.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
First of all we're not Holy in the sense of God or Faith or Denomination contrary to how it looks. We're just.... "good."

The only one I have a problem with is Tauren...the priests and paladins both. It's just...wrong, and wierd, and makes no sense. They're nature based, just...no...
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Undead Priests use the light as well.

It just really hurts.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Something to remember about the Forsaken is that they were once human. If they were priests in their previous life then they would have intimate knowledge on how to "wield the light" and so would know a work around for getting it to aid the undead.

Taurens I have no problem with at all. The idea behind it is a cultural shift towards a more holy existence. Having been exposed to different cultures and races over time the tauren have learned to adopt the concept of the light and teach it to their people. A race that was primarily tribal and shut off from the world until the coming of the orcs would eventually adopt new teachings and practices from the world around them.

Gnomes make more sense to me than anything. The gnomes, who already have an affinity for arcane powers have lived with the dwarves for years. The dwarves, who have always had priests could have easily passed these teachings onto their even tinier brethren.

Worgen are easily explained. Being part of the greater kingdoms in their past they would have always had priests in their society. Despite them also having druidic mystics in their midst (practitioners of the old ways) they had to of had priests about.

Goblins are interesting. Goblins also have shamans, for the purpose of exploiting natural resources. So it would make sense that the goblins would pick up any skills that they could make a profit off of. Being able to heal and resurrect people has to turn a good profit in a society that spends most of it's time nearly blowing itself up with insane new devices. I imagine the medical bills in goblin society are staggering indeed.

Anyway that's how I see it :P

Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
I always thought the Forsaken priests were explained as "bending the light"

In lore Forsaken priests=shadow priests. They can be holy/disc because of game mechanics.

My only complaint with that is according to the Lore that Sir Zeliek even after death and ensalvement because of his supreme devotion to the light he was still conscious and wielded powers of the light- despite being undead.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Gnomes finally learned of their maker, after centuries of just not giving a damn. That might have caused some to become slightly more introspective. That, or they're just plain smart enough and after exposure to the other races, have figured out how to produce the same effects through completely different means. Maybe they're healing through laser and LED effects.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

IMO, if they let undead... excuse me Forsaken... *roll eyes* use holy powers, anyone can.

Spell schools are just collections of abilities that draw from the same kind of "energy". In WoW, you do not have to be anything in particular to learn how to use that energy. In particular, in WoW, you most definitely do not have to be a fundamentalist devotee or disciple of a Holy figure in order to tap into Holy magic.

This works with all the schools. Unnatural beings can use nature magic. Nonelemental beings can learn to use elemental magic.

This is the only possible way in which it is possible to understand how Val'kyr can use Holy magic, or Sir Zeliek can use Holy magic. These are both unholy beings.

The Forsaken can make use of Holy magic because the training and teaching of priests gives them access to this energy source and these abilities. The abilities themselves do not define the nature of the being that is using them. In the universe of WoW, it is not at all inappropriate that Forsaken priests (undead priests, of course, are very lore appropriate) can access Holy abilities.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
This is the only possible way in which it is possible to understand how Val'kyr can use Holy magic, or Sir Zeliek can use Holy magic. These are both unholy beings.

I would love an opportunity to roll an undead paladin
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Also goblin shamans. "We care about the earth spirits. Now excuse me while I dump several tons of nuclear waste into the lake by our explosives manufacturing plant."

Wrong.

Everyone needs to remember Venture Co. doesn't represent ALL Goblins.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

My only complaint with that is according to the Lore that Sir Zeliek even after death and ensalvement because of his supreme devotion to the light he was still conscious and wielded powers of the light- despite being undead.

That's 1 person in all the multitudes of undead that exist in the game. It is by no means a common occurrence. It's an exception to the rule, nothing more.

There is nothing Sacrosanct about Holy magic.

Holy magic is not the same thing as the Light.

In WoW, the use of particular magical abilities does not define the nature of the being using them. The use only specifies that that being has gained the knowledge and experience necessary to access the energies that enable abilities in the particular school.

Put another way, Paladins are able to use Holy magic because their training and education enables them to use abilities that derive from the Holy school ... and not because they are righteous devotees of the Light. This fact enables Blood Elves to access the Holy school and bend Paladin abilities to their will. It also enables the sinister minions of Talon King Ikiss to similarly use certain Paladin abilities.

Sir Zeliek is able to use Holy magic in undeath not because he is a particularly righteous paladin, but rather simply because he knows how.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Gnome priests don't make any sense. They are vile little abominations without a god, a soul, or anything except their machinery. Disgusting little creatures.
Whatever you say, Ms. My-Race-Nearly-Destroyed-the-World-Several-Times-and-Yet-We-Still-Act-All-High-and-Mighty.

Also goblin shamans. "We care about the earth spirits. Now excuse me while I dump several tons of nuclear waste into the lake by our explosives manufacturing plant."

Wrong.

Everyone needs to remember Venture Co. doesn't represent ALL Goblins.
Pretty much. It's like KT and his blood elves vs the blood elves that are playable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]