Wow, Account hackers got clever

85 Worgen Death Knight
I bought a card for the Epic purple shirt off Ebay, I wanted a purple in every slot and the Shirt slot was the ONLY slot i didnt have a purple for (Except my weapon but thats orange) and I also received a world of warcraft account authenticator with the sticker half falling off and one end held together by tape.

Now I already have my own Authenticator but really account hackers? you buy 2 authenticators and peel the sticker off one and try to stick it on another? So I will register that one and get locked out of my account? How would that even work anyway. You dont have my password or any other info on me other than my name and address.
Reply Quote
81 Human Mage
I bought a card for the Epic purple shirt off Ebay
I've located the problem.
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Paladin
People buying the cards off of Ebay is nothing new.

The authenticator thing, now that is interesting.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Warlock

LOL, Buying stuff for in game use against the EULA and your complaining about being hacked? Serves you right.

Buying a card is against the EULA? I see...
Reply Quote
81 Human Mage

Yeah, so you're stepping into some dangerous water by buying stuff from someone else other than Blizzard or an approved vendor. Who cares whether it's "nothing new" or not?
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Paladin

and most of those codes are useless, always been this way
I know plenty of people who have purchased them without and issue at all. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone I've ever known has had their code be bad.
----
I can't be sure, since it has been a while, but I don't think that the purchasing of the loot cards is actually against the EULA.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I didnt get hacked, Like I mentioned, I already had an Authenticator before hand, it was the method that i thought was worth mentioning.

I said I bought the card but I never registered the code. Aside the card cannot be obtained as the set that had the card is no longer in circulation.

Aside the card itself is by terms a TRADING card. The Collectible card game itself is a trading card game. Blizz meant for the cards to be traded around and eventually be worth ACTUAL money to be sold back and forth. I have dont nothing wrong, and I have NOT violated the EULA.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
when you add an authenticator you have to input a generated code after you input the serial number, so I'm pretty sure their cunning plan wouldn't work.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
I doubt anyone had any intention of trying to hack you. It was just someone else selling complete garbage on ebay. Happens all the time.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I would like to preface this post by advising folks these are the new forums and a lot of the nonsensical responses will not be tolerated by other players or the moderators. If you do not have anything of relevance to contribute, it may be best not to contribute at all.

Now with that said, let me take the time to clarify this thread before it spirals out of hand. The OP purchased a TCG card off eBay. There is nothing wrong with this sort of purchase. The main risk would be if the code had already been used by the seller, in which case the OP would have to contact that person or even address the concern with eBay.

As for receiving the authenticator along with the card, whether or not the serial numbers were switched is speculation. I have personally seen authenticators with the serial number sticker taped on. It really is nothing out of the ordinary, although I can see where the concern would be.

My advice would just to remain cautious if you plan on making these types of purchases from 3rd party sites.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I am not sure about what technology is used on the authenticators, but I am wondering if someone, somewhere, has figured out how to clone the authenticators. So they give you one, and they keep an exact copy. They wait a few weeks to see if you activated it, then they can use their copy of your activator to hack your account.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I doubt it. The keyfob authenticators are probably designed to destroy themselves if opened. You'd need to see what Vasco says.
Reply Quote
8 Orc Hunter
I am not sure about what technology is used on the authenticators, but I am wondering if someone, somewhere, has figured out how to clone the authenticators. So they give you one, and they keep an exact copy. They wait a few weeks to see if you activated it, then they can use their copy of your activator to hack your account.

Here's your [Tinfoil Hat]

See, unless they have your ACCOUNT INFORMATION - they can't do anything at all with your authenticator, or a cloned authenticator (if it's even possible to clone one)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight

Here's your [Tinfoil Hat]

See, unless they have your ACCOUNT INFORMATION - they can't do anything at all with your authenticator, or a cloned authenticator (if it's even possible to clone one)

Yeah, because hackers never know how to get your account information. That is why there are never any post about hacked accounts. I am not trying to spread any conspiricies here, but you are ignorant if you do not think there is technology out there to overcome this security measure. Yeah, it might be complicated and it might take a lot of money, I do not know, just guessing, but to think there are no thieves out there that can do this or at least working on cracking it, well, good luck in your little bubble. Though, even if they could, I would suspect that they would go after big bank accounts and not some poor schlub's wow account.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]