Focus regens too fast.

90 Night Elf Hunter
I have to keep a hawk eye on my focus bar. Yes this makes the class harder on the surface, but having to focus (no pun intended) on a resource bar a whole fight is unbelievably encumbering and significantly limits raid awareness.

I would also like to point out that if you are not playing a hunter to maximum capacity you will not notice this since you most likely have tons of down time that could be filled with steadys and thus have a slower focus regen time. So before you post that it is too slow think if you fit into this category.

When we had mana we did not have to watch our resource bar an entire fight.
A DPS rotation should be difficult by having to make decisions and managing procs. Watching your focus bar to make sure you dont cap since it fills in about 5 seconds is not difficult it just requires your eyes to be on it the whole time. This is not fun.

Looking for others peoples input on this and maybe a blue will read it.
Edited by Nyctrisim on 11/16/2010 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
3 Tauren Druid
I have to keep a hawk eye on my focus bar. Yes this makes the class harder on the surface, but having to focus (no pun intended) on a resource bar a whole fight is unbelievably encumbering and significantly limits raid awareness.

I would also like to point out that if you are not playing a hunter to maximum capacity you will not notice this since you most likely have tons of down time that could be filled with steadys and thus have a slower focus regen time. So before you post that it is too slow think if you fit into this category.

When we had mana we did not have to watch our resource bar an entire fight.
A DPS rotation should be difficult by having to make decisions and managing procs. Watching your focus bar to make sure you dont cap since it fills in about 5 seconds is not difficult it just requires your eyes to be on it the whole time. This is not fun.

Looking for others peoples input on this and maybe a blue will read it.

OMG we have to watch our focus bar?!!? CALL THE ROGUES AND THE FERALS. WE MUST ASK THEM WHAT THEIR SECRETS ARE.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Probably just trolling judgeing by the level 3, but there are people who honestly use this as an arguement so I will adress it.

Rogues and ferals do have to watch their resource bar, but not nearly as much as hunters. We have to be watching it all the time (Not exagerating). We may be able to flick away for a second but then your eyes better be back on it to be able to determine if your next steady will cap you. Rogues and ferals have a slower regen and have a rotation that remains more or less constant the whole time and there regen does not change with the point in which there rotation they are in.

I don't want a system in which hunters don't have to watch their resource bar at all. I want one in which we do not have to focus on it the whole time.
Edited by Nyctrisim on 11/16/2010 11:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
3 Tauren Druid
Rogues and ferals also have to watch combo points while staying on the boss, ensuring they don't get parried, and whatever else melee have to worry about. Don't kid yourself, rogues and ferals require more situational awareness than a hunter currently does.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Rogues and ferals also have to watch combo points while staying on the boss, ensuring they don't get parried, and whatever else melee have to worry about. Don't kid yourself, rogues and ferals require more situational awareness than a hunter currently does.

^
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

EXACTLY! I am discussing the rate of resource regen being a way in which to complicate the class which is boring NOT the comparative difficulty of the classes. I would love a combo point system if it meant we could drop the broing 100% focus on focus bar system and even with combo points a rogue does not spend as much time looking at his combo points+energy as a hunter spends looking at his focus.

A rogue may be more difficult to play but this is NOT because his raid awareness is hindered by a system which he must always be looking at.
Edited by Nyctrisim on 11/16/2010 11:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
I hate focus, but I don't sit and watch my focus far either. Just follow the simple rotation of 2 specials, 2 steadies, and glance every once in a while for when you are creeping up.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Focus regenerates at a rate that is way below that of any rogue or feral druid, and they dont have to use an active ability to regenerate their resource. It does it on its own at a very rapid pace.
Edited by Gunzip on 11/16/2010 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
3 Tauren Druid
A rogue may be more difficult to play but this is NOT because his raid awareness is hindered by a system which he must always be looking at.

Except a rogue must always be aware of how many combo points he has. That's practically the same thing that you're griping about with focus. I have from a very reliable source (one of the best rogues in the game) that they have to constantly monitor their combo points. Couple that with energy monitoring as well and you have the same thing. You're asking for less complexity when there are classes that are already more complex than we are. Keeping your focus down is just as boring as watching combo points.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter

Except a rogue must always be aware of how many combo points he has. That's practically the same thing that you're griping about with focus. I have from a very reliable source (one of the best rogues in the game) that they have to constantly monitor their combo points. Couple that with energy monitoring as well and you have the same thing. You're asking for less complexity when there are classes that are already more complex than we are. Keeping your focus down is just as boring as watching combo points.

I have a friend that plays a rogue and is the top dps in his guild, he says its the easiest class to achieve top damage with.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Focus regenerates at a rate that is way below that of any rogue or feral druid, and they dont have to use an active ability to regenerate their resource. It does it on its own at a very rapid pace.

And since they don't have to generate it they do not have to watch it as closely since they can just spam certain abilities.
Edited by Nyctrisim on 11/16/2010 11:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
Focus has never hindered my raid awareness. Really all you need to do is take a quick glance. The usual two steadies and however many special shots will keep your focus down. Maybe you need to find an addon for focus and put it where you would like it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Because watching the numbers 1 2 3 4 and 5 pop up on your screen at an almost constantly constant (derivative) rate requires your eyes to be on them as much as a bar which fills at very different rates depending on what your doing and has many more units which do mater (by that I mean the difference between 80 and 90 is significant, cannnot draw a comparison 100/5 = 5 units of 20).
Reply Quote
3 Tauren Druid

I have a friend that plays a rogue and is the top dps in his guild, he says its the easiest class to achieve top damage with.

Depends on what spec you're playing. It ranges from "hardest in the game" to "medium" to "faceroll."
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Grouping your arcanes makes it so you can line up arcane spam with procs and you can still keep imp steady up.
Reply Quote
3 Tauren Druid

Because watching the numbers 1 2 3 4 and 5 pop up on your screen at an almost constantly constant (derivative) rate requires your eyes to be on them as much as a bar which fills at very different rates depending on what your doing and has many more units which do mater (by that I mean the difference between 80 and 90 is significant, cannnot draw a comparison 100/5 = 5 units of 20).

Actually the difference between 80 and 90 isn't significant. You can dump your focus before you gain the focus from steady shot preventing you from capping. There's a minor lag before you get the focus in which you can shoot off a shot before it realizes that you've gained that focus. Thus there is almost no difference between 80 and 90.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Hunter
And since they don't have to generate it they do not have to watch it as closely since they can just spam certain abilities.

Right, Rogues and Feral Druids don't have to watch their focus as closely because they also have to keep track of their combo points, something we hunters don't have to do. Sure, we have bleeds and whatnot, but so do they.

I think you're just freakin out because it's a different system, and I'm sure a lot of people are. Just give it time, and you'll get used to it. Personally, and I might be doing something wrong, I don't think it's fast enough. :P Though, my newb self is probably doing it wrong.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I have a feeling as we raid more and more we'll get a feel for a rotation and we won't be staring at the bar so much.
For now I HIGHLY recommend the addon "Stay Focused" available on wowinterface.com. It changes color to let you know you have enough focus for your main shot (explosive, chimera, kill command).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]