Sounds really low quality, everything echoes

81 Draenei Paladin
The new patch has broken the sounds for me, every sound has some weird staticy echo, and is really low quality, it's annoying, I have every sound option the highest it will go, it wasn't doing this yesterday when we were on 4.0.1... what did you guys at Blizzard do to the sounds? Seriously?

Really this is getting annoying, it's hard to describe, it's like there's metal scrap-ing in the background on EVERY SOUND.
Edited by Voltii on 11/16/2010 11:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I noticed this on the PTR as well, some sounds are ok but some sound REALLY low quality like a really bad mp3 very "tinny" like when I loot gold or summon my demons on warlock. its very annoying. Very disgusting to my ears.

Oh and all my sound settings are at they're highest quality lvls. Also I have Cata beta and the same annoying sounds are on that too. Almost makes me not want to play it.
Edited by Alazurian on 11/16/2010 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Paladin
Yeah I had it on the PTR too, I hope it's fixed soon, it really makes the game unplayable.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I can play it but I'm cringing the whole time... ugh
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Paladin
So this is still happening, are any blues even watching the bug forum?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I asked people in game about this and no one said they noticed... and only 2 people reported this so far so I'm guessing its not gonna get alot of attention. Even though it really needs some.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
This is the first time I hear about this bug, and I am having this one too, right after I patched to 4.0.3. Any other links to blizzard acknowledging this one??? It's painful to play...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Sounds like someone re-encoded the sound effects at 64kbps or even lower apparently no audiophiles work at Blizzard.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Hey, I unchecked use hardware in the sound options and the sound went back to normal... give that a try.

Edit: well maybe not totally normal but way better.
Edited by Alazurian on 11/16/2010 2:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I definitely notice it, too. Just patched to 4.0.3 and everything sounds very "tinny" and shrill. One of the guys in my random dungeon group agreed with me.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
And I thought I was going crazy...definitely happening to me as well, Sound Blaster X-FI sound card.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
i have no sound at all after the patch. nothing... doesn't even show my sound card anymore. updated every driver and still nothing...
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Paladin
Hey, I unchecked use hardware in the sound options and the sound went back to normal... give that a try.

Edit: well maybe not totally normal but way better.

I'll try that, thanks.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
I have this problem as well, I turned up the sounds quality slider to max and it helps a bit but I can still hear the staticy grainy sounds.

EDIT: Actually turning the sounds quality to max has seemed to fix it for the most part.
Edited by Khrosis on 11/16/2010 3:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Paladin
Unchecking use hardware helped a lot, but it's still there.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Unchecking use hardware helped a lot, but it's still there.

Ya atleast i don't want to stab my ear drums out now.
Reply Quote
94 Draenei Death Knight
I am an audio engineer and it took me a whole 3 seconds to notice the difference in sound quality. The problems seems that in the new patch the Middle and High frequencies are much higher on the scale than they should be. This results in the very "tinny" sound. Since there is no in game equalizer, you would have to go to your cpu equalizer and lower the Higher and Middle frequencies to make it bareable. You will still notice that it will sound lower quality because the problem is with the games sound output. Lowering the frequencies should alleviate the eardrum pain though. I hope they do make a hotfix for it because it is really ruining the game experience.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
I have the same problem with my sound now
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Audacity recording of Use Hardware Enabled/Disabled:
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9207/distortion.png

The distortion is pretty clear. Hope this gets fixed.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Looting gold/silver is painful.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]