Trap Launcher, for the love of god...

85 Draenei Hunter
How many times are we going to go back and forth over this - how many iterations of tunnel vision on the stupidly clunky manner in which it is presently implemented are we going to see - before we can get some developers to finally concede that the way they're trying to brute force the ability now completely pales in every way imaginable to just making the damn thing a toggle aura that adds a focus cost and range to traps?

The latest patch "fix" to the way it works in macros (and subsequent utter failure of said fix) just highlights the ridiculousness of the launcher button -> trap button fiasco. We've given you an easy way out of this - you could probably wallpaper the offices with printed out posts about how a toggle aura would work better. Can we finally come to terms with this and drop the notion of leaving it as an activated ability every time we want to trap?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Easy, big fella.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
what is this brute force you speak of I still cannot get it to work in macros at all. I'm probably making them wrong but who knows.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
Having read the fix list again it appears that there existed a problem, other than the horrible way in which trap launcher is coded to fire. The changes to the macro system addressed that other problem, which most of us probably don't know about, or haven't had issue with. Unfortunately we were reading "and so this should magically transform trap launcher from a steaming pile of sheep manure into a useful, more manageable ability." I think we were so shocked to see anything in the patch notes that mentioned hunters that we got our hopes up by mistake.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
Having read the fix list again it appears that there existed a problem, other than the horrible way in which trap launcher is coded to fire. The changes to the macro system addressed that other problem, which most of us probably don't know about, or haven't had issue with. Unfortunately we were reading "and so this should magically transform trap launcher from a steaming pile of sheep manure into a useful, more manageable ability." I think we were so shocked to see anything in the patch notes that mentioned hunters that we got our hopes up by mistake.

Reading it i though it was fixing it so you could do like

#showtooltip Freezing Trap
/cast Trap Launcher
/cast Freezing Trap

and it would work like the old ice arrow i guess i was sorely mistaken.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
what is this brute force you speak of I still cannot get it to work in macros at all. I'm probably making them wrong but who knows.

Just referring to the way that every iteration of trap launcher since its conception has been an attempt to just kind of force the idea of hitting it as an activated ability before every trap - i.e. the devs are just trying to brute force the activated ability idea into working form.

And I apologize if the OP came off as a little harsh, but come on... the hunter community has been giving up the same tired critiques of Trap Launcher since the ability was announced. We love the idea, we hate the keybind/macro clunkiness of its implementation. And yet, every new iteration of trap launcher just keeps pounding the same square peg of clunk through a round hole.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter

Reading it i though it was fixing it so you could do like

/cast Trap Launcher
/cast Freezing Trap

and it would work like the old ice arrow i guess i was sorely mistaken.

That was exactly my impression when I read it too. Then I realized that the problem with Trap Launcher is that it's an aura, which creates the requirement that it be present when you select your trap. What that seems to mean is that the commands have to be presented in order. Requesting them simultaneously results in failure. This suggests that there is no way, in its current state, that Trap Launcher can be reduced to one button press to select, one button press to place. It will always need to be three button presses.

The reason this is so important to me for very specific PvP reasons. In PvE Trap Launcher is perfectly acceptable as is. It can be pre-cast at any convenient and practical moment prior to use with little impact on your primary task. For example, a few seconds before Lady Deathwhisper casts Dominate Mind you can prime your trap launcher and continue to dps until you need to throw out your trap. If for any reason you don't launch your trap the 20 focus you wasted probably won't be a critical loss.

On the other hand for PvP pre-casting Trap Launcher is not always a luxury, one that's directly related to cost. Not only do we have to ensure that we have the focus available to cast at a moment's notice, but we have to be so frugal with our focus that spending 20 focus on something that you might not use makes it a costly gamble. The problem is the fact that you pay 20 focus to apply a short-duration passive aura. It does nothing in and of itself, and yet costs a 1/5 or our base resources. That 20 focus is so precious you dare not spend it unless you know you're going to use it. That makes the ability to macro this down to two button presses absolutely mandatory.

As a possible solution the costs of traps should be tied to the use of traps, not trap launcher. If you arm trap launcher there should be no cost until you have clicked the mouse button to deploy the trap at the reticule location. Trap Launcher should be a 30 second, or even one minute buff, one that we could apply at no focus cost. Any traps selected while the buff is present will activate the reticule for placement.

At the very least we could pre-cast with some reliability, since launching a trap is very fast if you eliminate the Trap Launcher step of the activity. This would lead to the need for a /cancelaura Trap Launcher, /cast Ice Trap, type macro in case you wanted to manually lay traps at your feet. I would however trade what we have now, for 5 macros with modifiers.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
What I also don't understand is that if they gave us a little toolbar for your pets that opens and closes why couldn't they give us something like that for the rest of our masses of spells. With the flexibility of being able to drag single spells onto your toolbar but for the most part just collect everything on one button. Traps, Aspects (the few we have anymore).
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
You know you can't use that while disarmed, right?

The regular traps are pretty important.

ergo the idea of a toggle-able aura, much like the way our aspects work. Hit it once and you have a semi-permanent aura that adds a focus cost and a range to your traps. Hit it again and you can drop traps at your feet for no focus cost.

It's still an extra keybind, admittedly, but at the very least it's one that isn't competing for the limited space around the ESDF keys and doesn't take another button press mid-fight when you're trying to scatter-trap someone.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
Trap Launcher as an ability should really still just be removed at this point, with the effect baked into all traps by default. Traps should also be usable no matter what our weapon or silence status is. Should also have either no focus cost, or a cost 10 or lower for each trap.

It just doesn't make any sense to have this as an active ability. At best it should be passive @ w/e level we get it, if not baseline. It completely goes against the simplifying key binds concept we were lead to believe was happening. Volley and Multishot are redundant... well so is trap launcher honestly.

What is the argument against just giving trap launcher to all traps by default? Why hasn't this happened? It's not a question of skill, you still have to know when to use a GCD and where to place the trap. It's purely a question of quality of life at this point, and it would make things a hell of a lot better for hunter quality of life if it were changed.

If the only reason this hasn't been changed is because you don't want us launching traps at bosses as part of a rotation, then there really isn't that much to worry about considering the low damage values the things already have. IMO explosive trap is just as redundant as multi shot, and fire trap is just as redundant as serpent sting. Where's the development thought into traps? Why don't we have oil trap for SV that gives bonus damage to ES when it hits the target? Why do we even have two fire traps when they could be baked into one? And black arrow taking up trap CD... come on.
Edited by Dyse on 11/17/2010 10:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Thanks blizzard, 4 more keybinds is EXACTLY what I needed. Glad to see you are looking out for the hunter class.

I have over 50 keybinds, and have already mapped out the extra I need for cataclysm abilities.
Get over it and learn to use the modifier keys.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
@ Dyse:

There are a couple of schools of thought on the best alternative. It seems the majority, myself included, wish to retain the ability to lay traps at our feet. I would personally be satisfied with 10 traps at this point. 5 launched and 5 laid, which I could condense to 5, probably 4 macros.

I don't think the devs are oppossed to us launching traps at all, I just think they railroaded themselves into a design and are trying everything in their power to make it work (could be doing nothing at all, we wouldn't have any clue.)

Launching traps on trash, and even bosses isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can significantly boost your damage, and being skilled with your launcher will probably be a very valuable asset. Sadly it's PvP quality right now is atrocious.

As far as why we have 2 fire traps, the technical explanation is obviously one is single target and one AoE. One does large ticks to single target, the other does multiple smaller ticks on multiple targets. Combining them would probably require them that it do neither job particularly well and you would avoid using it.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
@ karamok
While I understand the desire to be able to lay traps at your feet, and I had cold feet (lol pun) about the original incarnation of Freezing Arrow, after using Freezing Arrow it quickly became awesome and replaced freezing trap on my bars entirely. There was no need to ever have Freezing Trap on my bars anymore because Freezing Arrow did it all, including laying traps at my feet, better than Freezing Trap ever did. Did you keep Freezing Trap on your bars/keybinds throughout Wrath or did you remove it in favor of Freezing Arrow like I did?

As for launching traps on bosses or trash, I agree that'd be great. I was just mentioning that perhaps Blizz didn't want that, since I remember early in Wrath they didn't, but that was a rather silly paragraph of mine considering obviously they don't care if we do it anymore because we do have trap launcher as activated. So my bad.

I don't see why they don't just combine both fire traps into one though. It would save space, they share a cooldown anyway, the mob that triggers the trap can take the big dot, and then the aoe portion remains as well for everyone. Easy combination, one less keybind.
Reply Quote
@ Dyse: personally i kept both Freezing Arrow and Freezing trap on my bars. When you see a warrior running up to you its much faster to lay a trap at your feet than target a trap at your feet.

I believe that the ability to choose to lay a trap at your feet is very valuable, and as such it is hard to consider a way for trap launcher to either not require 2 button presses or create 5 whole new trap launched traps to keybind/macro.

It would be nice for Trap launcher to be able to be macroed with a simultaneous trap cast into a launch circle, however I don't see that as possible considering ping times and with the server needing to be able to que the abilities in order. Only way to work around that is to get Freezing arrow back + a version for all other traps.

Finally, i also think it could be argued that properly using trap launcher is a new measure of skill for hunters. Requiring a hunter to do some preplanning or act in anticipation of a coming use.
Reply Quote
92 Dwarf Hunter
Can you not use a castsequence macro to do it in 2 presses? I would suspect something like the following should work:

/castsequence reset=10 Trap Launcher, Freezing Trap

I know it's still not possible to do it in one press in the current state.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
Can you not use a castsequence macro to do it in 2 presses? I would suspect something like the following should work:

At the present time, that macro will not work. It will just repeatedly charge you the focus cost of trap launcher without ever allowing you to fire your trap.
Reply Quote

At the present time, that macro will not work. It will just repeatedly charge you the focus cost of trap launcher without ever allowing you to fire your trap.

No, that macro does work. at least for me it does.

The problem the patch just fixed was that tap macros would work ONLY if you activated trap launcher. Without trap launcher they said "you cant do that yet." This also could be seen by looking at the tooltips of trap macros, in which it would show the tooltip of the launched version.

That bug has been fixed and that is no longer the case. a cast sequence macro does work, however.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]