Retribution mastery change - Intended

90 Dwarf Paladin
Don't know why y'all are going crazy over this..... aren't you going to have at least one holy power pretty much all the time? And even if you don't just CS and you have one.

Think about how the ret rotation will work at 85, you play CS, X, wait. now consider this happening:

CS -> 3HoPo
TV -> 0 HoPo
wait
CS -> 1 HoPo

If at any time during the CS GCD, TV GCD or the wait you had a HoL proc then you would be unable to use it until after the second CS (assuming no DP HoPo from the TV).

Therefore rather than TV filling the boring "wait" and just pushing the next CS back a little you still have to wait, so mastery helping with the clunky rotation a bit is gone. And more importantly our mastery is RNG and as far as I know has no ICD. There can be 2 auto attacks between two CS's therefore it is possible to lose a potential HoL proc.

I can see why they have done it, it decreases our burst in PvP as we will be less able to string multiple TVs together.

However quite why they have decided to make a bad stat even worse makes no sense.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
If the intent was to nerf our burst DPS in PvP

This makes sense and is likely the reason why. We can still do back to back TVs for BIG BURST (yeah, right >_>), only very rarely, whenever HoL and DP decide to proc back to back too.

Wait... haven't we been telling Blizzard that so much RNG is going to cause serious issues for months now? Since, say, August?
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
Burst is also an issue in PvE

tanking while dps bursts at the starts of pulls is a pain.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
This simply cannot be intended.

Zealotry not working with HoL is a non-issue as I hear it doesn't require HP to activate in Cata, it's just annoying now, but having to have one charge to use HoL?

If this is true it's the finale nail in the coffin for our Mastery, the stat was already the new arm pen for us. Now it's worse.

We are the only class with a next to useless Mastery bonus, yay.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
but having to have one charge to use HoL?

On the beta, HoL also consumes one charge of HP when you use it.

Unsure if that's intended or not. Also unsure if that's been mentioned yet.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Burst is also an issue in PvE

tanking while dps bursts at the starts of pulls is a pain.

While this is true remember that unlike with TBC SoC procs we are now in control of when to use our procs. There are times it is advisable to hold back using all the procs at the start of a fight (although I should add the caveat that I am fairly well known for completely ignoring that advice).
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
The problem with Hand of Light has been noticed and will be fixed in an upcoming patch according to a blue poster.

They just replied to a post about HoL in the bug forum.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
The problem with Hand of Light has been noticed and will be fixed in an upcoming patch according to a blue poster.

They just replied to a post about HoL in the bug forum.

That's a relief, I thought they would never fix that.
Reply Quote
Right now everything that uses HoPo is acting weird. I used to be able to spam 1 HoPo WoGs at the BG start up but now its greyed out, along with DStorm.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
If you read your Mastery tool tip, it says that it "causes no Holy Power to be consumed". Currently, in live and in Beta, it will consume a Holy Power. That's why you can't use it if you have none.

Currently, on live, it does not consume any holy power...you have to have a holy power to use it. Big deal, so you have to do a crusader strike.......I was about to do that anyway.

Mastery isn't useless, it just isn't better than haste right now. The only reason haste is so much better now is because we want the 3sec crusader strike cds. I think we will probably be seeing that we want mastery soon enough. 2x Templars Verdict for the price of one is sexy.

It's worse than both haste and crit by a very wide margin. It will not become desirable without fundamental changes.
Edited by Carmie on 11/19/2010 6:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Right now everything that uses HoPo is acting weird. I used to be able to spam 1 HoPo WoGs at the BG start up but now its greyed out, along with DStorm.

They have seen the reports about Hand of Light procs not allowing the Holy Power spells to be used unless you have 1 Holy Power available and a patch will fix it so that we can go back to being able to use the HoL procs no matter how much HP we have.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Mastery will really come into it's own once we start hitting level 85 and our armor gives us a lot more hit, haste, crit and mastery with their bonuses.

We will be able to get to the soft caps a lot easier so we can reforge into mastery and bring it into it's own.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I tried testing this on the ptr by just autoattacking the dummy and waiting for Hand of Light procs. If HoL procced, and I had no holy power, I could use any ability that works off holy power. So it seems they have fixed it.
Edited by Bravehearth on 11/20/2010 4:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Paladin
Just think on the bright side: At least it didn't go the way of Vanish; Permanently broken.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It wasnt intended. The gm didnt know what he was talking about. On the beta the bug has recently been fixed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]