FIXING-Disconnections, Lag, Log-In Issues etc

(Locked)

85 Orc Rogue
****UNHAPPY BUT IMPORTANT POST 4.0.1 UPDATE*****
Since the 4.0.1 update many many people are having massive lag and disconnection issues. This is caused by your ISP using traffic shaping or throttling and incorrectly detecting Blizzard's gaming communications as P2P traffic. Blizzard's official statement from a Blue Poster Brianl is as follows

What may or may not have been known here prior to the decision to implement new features with 4.0.0 is kind of irrelevant to the issue at hand. Even if we knew which ISPs may do rate limiting or other QoS measures, the policy map actually used by those ISPs is not public knowledge. As we are not the Customer of Record for either the local ISPs nor their backbone providers, we have no real right to request that data.

The technology being used today was available for any and all to see once we released the 4.0.1 PTR, months ago. At that time, there was no noticeable issue with thresholding, and the local ISPs could clearly see the type of traffic being transmitted via the multitude of clients logged on to our public test realms and beta servers. We would have had no reason to suppose that it seems a few ISPs (and it is definitely just a few, even if some of them may be the larger ones) would have a policy map in place that would cause drastic issues for some of our valued customers. :(

Just to be clear, our protocol use didn't change, the packet size didn't change, the packet type didn't change, and the port use didn't change. All that seems to have changed was the traffic pattern, and that was enough to evidently make some routers angry. :/

Account and Technical Services

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

If you are having those issues and my tweaks DO NOT resolve it please go to
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053250-(PRE 4.0.3 issues ONLY)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2228223686-(Consolidated latency tracking and reporting)

Figure out which category you fall under and make a post on one of those three posts. I'm sorry but there is nothing I can do at this point except to suggest you pester Blizzard, your ISP, wait out a potential fix on November 30,2010 or change your ISP.

There is one other option brought to my attention by Dkatt of the Guild Pantheon on the Arygos Realm: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
All of you having problems, find a computer you have access to at work/home that has a connection to an ISP that DOESN'T use traffic shaping. Then setup a SSH tunnel between the two. You do NOT have to pay a dime for it.

I posted a HowTo there: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1083360834

Since I have done this, no more random DC's and while latency is about the same, it's much more stable (less lag spikes, spikes are much lower).

*******END OF UPDATE******

*****UPDATE 10/18/10********
4.0.1 Patch Hell
If you have issues with the latest patch in any way shape or form, ensure you have the most up to date drivers and check the following threads:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/932784201- (Bug Report Forum)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/933034369 - (Technical Support Forum)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/933154248 - (Technical Support Forum-Common Issues)

Then go through my list of stuff and re-do any things the patch may have undone. I KNOW for most people it has required them to re-do firewall rules, re-add program exceptions and reset the "Run As Administrator" options.

Any other issues please attach a post & I'll try and help you out. Also REPORT BUGS on the Bug Report Forum and please please USE THE SEARCH function before posting to see if there is a solution for your problem.

If I can't help you check with a Blue (or make another post elsewhere on this forum at the same time) I do this stuff for free on my own time and cannot possibly help EVERYONE but I can damn well try.
****END OF UPDATE*******

****MORE 4.0.1 UPDATE*****
Low FPS fixes: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969937059 (Technical Support Forum- Low FPS after patch ... A possible solution! )

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1020802944 (Technical Support Forum- FYI- ATI CrossfireX Application Profile 10.9a )

General Graphics Issues: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/933034394 (Technical Support Forum-Graphical Issues since patch 4.0.1)
****END OF UPDATE*******

Honestly Blizzard should use something similar to what I say below instead of telling users to kill their Antivirus and any other system protection by doing selective startup. Most likely the fault lies in your Modem and/or Router. Also blame Microsoft if anyone as they shot out a stream of patches every 2nd Tuesday of each month that if you have Windows Vista/7 set up to automatically install updates (the default setting) it will install them between 11pm-4am local time (depending on your time zone).

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: DO NOT DO ANY OF THESE STEPS WHILE RUNNING OR ATTEMPTING TO RUN WOW OR ANY OTHER PROGRAM THAT NEEDS CONSTANT INTERNET ACCESS. I.E. DON'T DO THIS IN THE MIDDLE OF A VIRUS SCAN, AUTOMATIC BACKUP, ETC.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYONE FAILING TO FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS AND SCREWING UP THEIR COMPUTER, ROUTER, OR INTERNET HARDWARE.

Now that the legalese is taken care of here are some other little goodies that will probably help. If you follow my instructions you shouldn't have any problems.

*****UPDATE 5/2/10*****
Additionally when I can I have provided LINKS to the original location of help posts. If any suggestions are unclear or confusing in any way following the links may help you to understand the particular suggestion and/or complete the step correctly
*****END OF UPDATE*****

Make sure you aren't running any demanding background programs that require internet access. I.E. turn off LimeWire, BearShare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, uTorrent, or any other file-sharing program. Make sure your virus scanner (or any other scanner such as adware scanners, privacy checkers, what ever it calls itself) is not running. Make sure you aren't streaming media to someone (or somewhere) else via Media Player, iTunes, what-have-you, by ensuring that music sharing/library sharing is OFF. See your specific program's help for how to do this as I really don't feel like writing a novel here.

Clear your Game Cache:
  • 1.) Go to your WoW folder. In my case since I did a custom install (to avoid some of the usual post-patching file access issues) the path is D:\World of Warcraft. For most folks the path is usually one of the following

%programfiles%\world of warcraft

or C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft

2.) From there find your Cache folder and open it.

3.) Delete Everything (files, folders, that cute pic of your g/f's toon, etc) inside that folder

4.) Restart WoW. Prepare for a long long first load after doing this. I highly recommend doing this after EVERY patch just to be safe.

• Check Your Realm List Settings
      1.) Open the World of Warcraft folder on your hard drive

(Default Folder: C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft

or C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft for Vista users,

Applications folder for Mac users).

2.) Open the Data, and then the enUS folder.

3.)Open the Realmlist.wtf file using a text editor, like WordPad. Make sure the lines in the file match the following:

set realmlist us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com
      set patchlist enUS.patch.battle.net:1119/patch
      set realmlistbn ""
      set portal us

If you need to, you can copy and paste these lines over any that are incorrect, save the file and close the file, and try the game once more.

Ensure that UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is enabled and allowed to pass through by your computer, software firewall, router, and modem/gateway device as well as certain ports that are specific to WoW, the new Battle.Net Authentication System, and the Blizzard Downloader (don't worry I'll cover everything later)

***UPDATE***** 3/25/2010
      Q:What is UPnP?

A:UPnP is an acronym for Universal Plug and Play and is a Microsoft service API (Application Programming Interface) implemented with the start of Windows XP in 2001 as part of the Windows core services (kernel). It was originally "optional" at the introduction but as applications have started to incorporate it all versions of Windows since Windows XP Service Pack 2 (XP SP2) have had it enabled by default.

The UPnP service automatically opens any ports that the application needs without a person having to individually open ports (or create "rules" to do so) on a computer, router, or modem/gateway device.

Example:
      World of Warcraft needs the following ports for the various parts of the game to work (updater, downloader, authentication, etc):

1119 TCP, 3724 TCP & UDP, 6112-6114 TCP, 6881-6999 TCP, 4000 TCP

Many older routers & modem/gateway devices had to be "told" to allow these ports to send & receive traffic (data) and setting them up was time-consuming.

Now with UPnP you don't need to create these rules (theoretically). UPnP simply tells the router/modem/gateway device "World of Warcraft needs the following ports, etc etc"

As long as UPnP traffic is enabled/allowed/supported by your router/modem/gateway device it should require much less in the way of setting up custom rules.

****END OF UPDATE****

Before doing any of these steps go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx and run the Internet Test at that site. This test can ONLY be run using Internet Explorer (sorry folks) so you will have to use it at least this one (or more) time(s) even if it isn't your default browser (mine is FireFox so I fully sympathize).

If the UPnP Support Test results in an error keep going down these next steps until you are certain everything is enabled. If at that point you still see a negative result (and you are still experiencing problems with WoW) your Router's built-in firewall is doing its job and protecting your machine....unfortunately its also probably screwing up your WoW experience.

****UPDATE 2/23/11******
    Sorry it took so long to post this but the UPnP test can also come back negative if you don't have a Router (actually called a Gateway Device). I.E. if you are in a dorm and just plug into the wall jack or in an apartment (like where I now live) the test simply looks for a Gateway Device between you and the internet. If it can't find one, then it can't test for UPnP on the device (as it doesn't exist).
    ***END OF UPDATE*****

This might take a while and can often be frustrating so please bear with me.

Part 1-Computer Section
      1.)Ensure that all of the following are set to "Run As Administrator" if using Windows Vista/7
    • WoW.exe,
      Launcher.exe,
      Blizzard Downloader.exe,
      Blizzard Updater.exe,
      BNUpdate.exe,
      WoWError.exe,
      and Repair.exe.

• All of these wonderful programs are in your World of Warcraft folder.

Right-click on each hit "Properties" ,
      click on the tab labeled "Compatibility"
      and check the box near the bottom that says "Run As Administrator"
      Then hit "Apply" and "OK"

It is almost guaranteed that you will need to re-do this step after every major patch.

b.) Go to your favorite firewall (if it is turned on) and make sure that it allows UPnP connections through and also the following items:

• WoW.exe,
      Launcher.exe,
      Blizzard Downloader.exe,
      Blizzard Updater.exe,
      BNUpdate.exe,
      WoWError.exe,
      and Repair.exe.

• All of these wonderful programs are in your World of Warcraft folder.

If you don't have a firewall program installed and one isn't included in your "Security Suite Program" you have Windows Firewall. To configure that type "Windows Firewall" in the search bar (Vista/7) and hit "Enter"

Click on "Allow a program through Windows Firewall"

You should see an "Exceptons" tab and then click on "Add Program" and/or "Add Port" to add the programs listed above, one by one, and/or the ports listed below again one by one.

Depending on your firewall/security suite you may need to re-do this step after every major patch.

Also make sure that the following ports are OPEN and ALLOWED TO PASS THROUGH BY YOUR FIREWALL:

1119 TCP- for the new Battle.Net Authentication (Effective as of December 2009)
      1120 TCP-for the new Streaming Launcher (with 4.0.1)
      3724 TCP & UDP-for the Blizzard Downloader (TCP) and in game voice chat (UDP)
      6112-6114 TCP -for the Blizzard Downloader and WoW Data
      6881-6999 TCP -for the Blizzard Downloader and WoW Data
      4000 TCP-for the Blizzard Downloader and WoW Data

2.)To make sure that UPnP is running properly in XP or Vista go to your start menu and click on "Run" then type in "services.msc" in Vista there is no need to look frantically for the "Run" button , just type "services.msc" into the little search box on the bottom of your Start Menu. EDIT AND UPDATE 3/26/2010: The Run box can also be accessed by pressing the Windows Key and R at the same time

3.) You should see a list of services in alphabetical order. Scroll down to "Universal Plug and Play" (XP) or "UPnP Device Host" (Vista/Win7) and double click on it. In the little window that pops up set the startup type to Automatic and hit "start" if it isn't already running.

4.) Re-run the Internet test at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx.

5.) Still have "Not Supported"? Move on to the next section...

Part-2 Router and Modem Section
      Make sure that you aren't suffering from some service problems from your ISP. To be really really sure, unplug the power to your Modem/Gateway Device/Router wait about 5 minutes and plug it back in. Many times an ISP (in my case Comcast which has done this REPEATEDLY) will send a "silent update" to your modem for one reason or another. In most cases the modem immediately reboots and updates itself, but sometimes it needs a little help. ;)

1.) Locate your Router's (or Modem's) configuration page and make sure you have the most recent firmware. Firmware is simply the little bit of software on your Router that tells it what it can and can't do. Most major manufacturer's have a standard config page of 192.168.1.1. Test this first by going to your favorite web browser and typing in that string of numbers in the address bar. If you get a lovely Username and Password prompt then that is correct.

If you don't get that prompt then do the following:

• a.) XP users go to "Run" on your Start Menu and type in "cmd", press Enter, you should see a command prompt window.

b.)Vista/Win7 Users type in "cmd" in the little search box on the bottom of your start Menu. When the little list of things that are found pops-up "cmd.exe" should be at the top of the list, right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator". Take this time to thank Microsoft from trying to protect you from yourself and make you life more frustrating.

c.)When the command prompt window appears type "ipconfig" and you should see one or more network adapters and their settings all listed. Scroll around until you find something like the following (or something very similar):

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection: (<-----Type of Connection)

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxx.yy.comcast.net. (<-----Where your modem looks to for DNS (Doman Name Server) translations. This is ISP specific, in my case Comcast and I have redacted the beginning characters which are unique to each account for every ISP)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::xxxx:yyyy:zzzz:aaaa%bb(<-----The IPv6 address assigned by your router, modem or gateway device. Again I've blanked out certain portions for personal security)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.xxx.xxx(<----The IPv4 address (commonly called TCP/IP or just IP address) assigned by your router, modem, or gateway device. Almost always starts with 192.168.)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1(<---The IP address of your modem, router, or gateway device. 99.9% of the time this is also the address of the config page.)

d.)Write the Default Gateway down and type it in your favorite internet browser and hopefully you will get the prompt I mentioned earlier

e.) As for your username and password I really can't help you except suggesting you find the manual that came with your router or checking the website of your router's vendor or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

• www.linksys.com/support
      www.d-link.com/support
      www.dell.com/support
      www.belkin.com/support
      www.microsoft.com/support
      www.verizon.net/support
      www.comcast.net/support
      www.att.com/support
      www.windstream.com/support
      www.cox.com/support

Those are the major vendors & ISPs as of this writing. Find your router's model number (usually inscribed on the bottom of said device) and get a PDF copy of that little book you chucked out with the packaging because you knew you'd NEVER EVER need it. Also download the most recent firmware if you don't already have it.

***UPDATE 3/31/10****
      More ISPs &Vendor's added. If everyone could please add their ISP or Router Support website in a comment if it isn't already in this list and I will add it as they are posted. Thank You. Also anyone with a 2Wire-branded Router/Modem/Gateway Device (known to be provided by AT&T,and Windstream ISPs at this time) Please scroll to the end of this post and read Section 3.3 Before Proceeding any Further
      ******END OF UPDATE*****

2.)IF YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN YOU DO SO FROM A MACHINE CONNECTED TO YOUR ROUTER WITH A WIRE. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER UPDATE FIRMWARE FROM A MACHINE ON A WIRELESS CONNECTION. THIS CAN AND WILL USUALLY KILL YOUR ROUTER If you don't need to update your firmware (i.e you have the latest and greatest version) skip to part b.

• a.)Once you're done tracking down that info (router config page, default user name and password) and are actually able to get into the config screen look around for awhile and find one of the following sections or tabs: "Administration", "Status". Those are the most common names for where the firmware version number hides and where you can update it as well.

AGAIN IF YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN YOU DO SO FROM A MACHINE CONNECTED TO YOUR ROUTER WITH A WIRE. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER UPDATE FIRMWARE FROM A MACHINE ON A WIRELESS CONNECTION. THIS CAN AND WILL USUALLY KILL YOUR ROUTER

b.) Once you're done tracking down that info (router config page, default user name and password) and are actually able to get into the config screen look around for awhile and find one of the following sections or tabs: "Applications and Gaming", "Port Forwarding", "Port Triggering", "Administration", "Status" "Access Rules/Restrictions", "Firewall Settings". Those are the most common names for where the UPnP setting hides. Simply put after rooting around for a while you should be able to find some sort of setting called "UPnP" or "Universal Plug and Play". Check the box, hit the dial, select the drop-down option (whatever you do to change the settings in your router) to make sure that it is set to On/Enabled/Allowed . If you are really having difficulty with this step I strongly suggest you find that documentation I mentioned earlier and look up "UPnP" in the index.

c.)Also make sure that the following ports are OPEN and ALLOWED TO PASS THROUGH BY YOUR ROUTER:

1119 TCP- for the new Battle.Net Authentication (Effective as of December 2009)
      1120 TCP-for the new Streaming Launcher (with 4.0.1)
      3724 TCP & UDP-for the Blizzard Downloader (TCP) and in game voice chat (UDP)
      6112-6114 TCP -for the Blizzard Downloader and WoW Data
      6881-6999 TCP -for the Blizzard Downloader and WoW Data
      4000 TCP-for the Blizzard Downloader and WoW Data

d.) Finally look around for a setting that says "Filter Multicasting" and make sure it is set to "off", or "disabled". Disabling this allows your router to pass packets from many different machines onto your local machine at a time. (which WoW does a gigantic amount of). If the "filter" is checked than your router can and will block multiple packets per transmission resulting in a higher latency.

• 3.) After you are done tearing your hair out looking for that manual again (really makes you wish you'd kept the darn thing in the first place. Maybe there is a lesson here?) make sure you save the settings, commit the changes, and do whatever your particular router requires to get them to go into effect. Most routers will usually initiate a quick reboot to save your settings which will interrupt your internet access for a little while (30 seconds to 5 minutes). It might also ask you to reset your modem or restart your computer.
      4.) Re-run the Internet test at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx.
      5.) Repeat these steps on your modem separately to ensure that UPnP is enabled there as well.
      6.) Still have "Not Supported"? Go to www.portforward.com and pick your router and/or modem model and the game you're running (WoW of course). Follow the directions given there.

Finally a little heads up here: if my best friend who is a soldier in the U.S. Army and was deployed to Iraq for 12 months could successfully play WoW including all heroics and instances up to 10 man via the crappy satellite internet connection that he had access to on his base there in-country I strongly suggest you check your own internet setup and/or ISP prior to blaming Blizzard for lag and/or disconnection issues.

Part 3-More Tips
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER #2: If ANY part of the following section that calls for changing the Registry is unclear to you then either get someone who is more experienced to help you or simply SKIP THOSE ITEMS! Improperly tweaking the Registry can render your machine inoperable (in layman's terms: broken & unfix-able) AGAIN I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYONE FAILING TO FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS AND SCREWING UP THEIR COMPUTER, ROUTER, OR INTERNET HARDWARE.

Part 3-More Tips
      1.)------------This one I gleaned from the Ventrilo Forums-------------------

If Ventrilo causes lag in WoW or you experience some voice lag in vent try this solution. Please bear in mind that THIS FIX (AND ONLY THIS FIX) APPLIES SOLELY TO WINDOWS VISTA AT THIS TIME

http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=139277&postcount=17

Ok, I've finally solved it, and it's not a Ventrilo issue, but rather a Vista-only one.

The problem:

With the release of Vista, Microsoft added a system service to monitor the multimedia subsystem for streaming audio and video, called the Multimedia Class Scheduler (MMC). When this service detects streaming media (and a lot of applications trigger this), it throttles network traffic to ensure smooth network playback.

Unfortunately, this was conceived in the days where single-core CPU's and 100MBit LAN's were common, and their solution drastically affects gigabit speeds.

I'll explain why this problem isn't far more widespread in a moment.

MMC is nothing more than a packet limiter. When certain applications run, MMC puts a hard-cap on the number of packets which can pass over the network interface per second.

At a standard TCP/IP frame size, that's ~1,500 bytes x 10,000 packets (the limit imposed by MMC), which after overhead works out at about 11-12MB/sec.

From SP1 in Vista, you can tweak this limit via the registry. Initially I tried setting it to 30 (for 30,000 packets), but only managed half network speed. Upping it to 60 or 70 made no difference.

Instead I set it to FFFFFFFF (Hexidecimal) or 4294967295 (Decimal) which effectively sets the cap at such a high limit that you'll never hit it.

Network transfer speeds are now the same when either connected, or disconnected on Ventrilo, with no degradation to Ventrilo quality (what's 4-5KB/sec when the interface can do 65-75MB/sec =P ).

Jumbo frames:

Before I post the how-to for changing the registry, here's the reason why some people haven't noticed it.

As the MMC limit is a *packet* limit, those on a gigabit network with jumbo-frames are far less likely to see the issue. Jumbo frames increase the TCP frame size from ~1,500 to a maximum of 9,000 bytes. As you can imagine, 10,000 frames at 9,000 bytes per frame is roughly 80MB/sec after overhead.

My machines here don't enable jumbo frames by default, but I'm willing to bet that would also solve the issue.

The solution:
      So, here's how to tweak the limit yourself. Perhaps this should be added to the Ventrilo FAQ?

1) Open Regedit.exe
      2) Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
      3) In the right pane, double click NetworkThrottlingIndex
      4) Set the value to FFFFFFFF, Hexadecimal
      5) Close Regedit
      6) Reboot

Once the machine is rebooted, the limit will be removed. To undo the change, follow the instructions above, but set the value to: a (Hexadecimal), or 10 (Decimal). Reboot again and the limit will be put back.

This issue doesn't exist in Windows XP as the service doesn't exist. Apparently Windows 7 has corrected this particular flaw, so it's a Vista -only- issue.

Hopefully this will help someone who has been suffering the same problem. It's nice to finally have it solved.

2.)--------This other one came to me from my guild's forums:------------------

****UPDATE 5/2/10****
      Although this came from my former guild (which is now extinct) I have manged to track down actual discussions of this if you need clarification or would like deeper explanation of this step:

http://lifeandcode.net/2009/05/reduce-game-network-latency-in-windows-7-or-vista/
      http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3251414#3251414
      http://resurgence-eu.wowstead.com/forums/thread/322

Also note this is the same thing that Leatrix Latency Fix does except you are doing it manually and adding nagling at the windows level.
      http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html
      ****END OF UPDATE****

More tweaks (including an in-depth explanation of this one) can be found here:
      http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574

I’ve had a number of people ask me now about how they can reduce their latency in game for better performance during raids. So I decided to go ahead and type up a little guide showing how.

I’ll start off by saying that this does NOT speed up your internet connection. What this does is forces your TCP applications (WoW is a TCP application) to send out more ACK requests (short for Acknowledgment) so that you more frequently receive responses from the server. Latency by definition is the time it takes for your machine to communicate with the server that it’s connected to. As a result of receiving more ACK responses your latency will be reduced because it is receiving more communication from the game server.

Next you will go start ->(run) or (search) and type “regedit” without the quotes. You should receive a 2 pane window with folders on the left side. Follow the file path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

Once you reach this folder there will be 2 or more folders with strange file names. Search though one until you find the one that contains only one entry: "Default" of the type "REG_SZ"

Anywhere in the white space on the right pane right click and select New –> DWORD Value (appears as DWORD (32bit) Value for Vista and 7 users). Give it the name TcpAckFrequency (make sure you type it exactly as I did or it will not work) When finished right click your newly created file and select modify and give it the value “1” without the quotes.

Create another DWORD Value file and name it TCPNoDelay. Again, make sure you spell it exactly as I did or it will not work. When finished do the same as you did for the previous file. Right click, Modify and assign it the value of 1.

Once everything is done you can go ahead and close your registry and restart your machine, or if you don't feel like restarting just go into the Device Manager and then disable and re-enable your network adapter.

Press Windows Key+R and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Scroll down to "Network Adapters" (windows vista/7) or "Network Interfaces" (Windows XP) right click on your network adapter and click "disable" wait a minute or so while it is disabled and then right click on it and hit "enable"

Disclaimer: Be VERY careful when you do anything in the registry. A single wrong entry or bad change can seriously damage your system. If you followed my steps listed above to the letter there should be no problems.

Reminder: This does NOT increase your internet speed. Latency will rise during gameplay if you stream music or watch / listen to videos on youtube during raids. For best performance I recommend closing any applications that use or can consume internet bandwidth.

A side note I decided to add in here. Latency will be lower but still vary for people depending on where you live. Azshara is a CST server so if you live in a CST time zone mine your latency be lower than say someone who lives on the east [me Drunkinhik] or west coast. Also latency will vary depending on the server load as well. During peak hours it may spike over 200ms.

3.)--------From Tandramic in the Guild Klokateers on Shandris Realm----------

RECOMMENDED FOR ALL 2Wire Routers:

Hi all I spoke with an AT&T rep today and i figured out why 2wire systems have problems with WoW:

My previous scenario: after patches or any kind of download, OR even in populated areas like Stormwind or Orgimmar, I would log on, see my character and everyone else around me would be 'Unknown', with level and health. Also the others would be running in place. I couldn't communicate person to person or on any channel, as well as with /say, /guild or anything. I'd disconnect in 10 seconds, with the message saying : "You have been disconnected from the server." (NO WAY!!! thanks for telling me i didn't know :( )

Solution:

1) It is the 2wire device. Go into your network connections, by right clicking on your Wireless Connection Signal picture in the bottom right hand corner of your display, by clock and date. Open properties of the connection, and find the 'Default Gateway Address'. this number should be ###.###.#.###.

2) Open Internet and empty the address bar, and type in that number, followed by /mdc. this will bring you to your 2wire modem and device controller.

3) Scroll down, and find Firewall Settings. Click on Advanced Settings under Firewall Settings.

4) Right at the top you should see an UNCHECKED box near the following: " Strict UDP Session Control". CHECK that box. In short, this allows your internet firewall to help itself identify with activity as a bunch of individuals (i.e. other characters on server) so that it doesn't overload with the immense activity of the server.
      Hope this helps.

• Thanks Tandremic it does

• 4.)--------From Haat in the Guild The Renegades on Grizzly Hills Realm----------

I'm sure one of the tech type people can explain this better then i but here goes
      When Windows Vista and Windows 7 came out, Microsoft made a process called TrustedInstaller.

This installer has full administrative rights and can use whatever resources it wants to, this installer is somehow attached to the Windows Update Module in Services by stopping this service i was able to eliminate what seemed to be in game lag, now knowing it wasn't lag so much as processor being used

Now I'm not sure of overall bad reasons not to shut off the Update Module Service other than Windows Update won't work with it shut off so you might as well shut off that too. doing this solved my very frustrated self's problems

my computer is a new quad core hp, 6 gig ram, terabyte hard drive, nvdia9100 graphics card, "windows7"

Hope this helps other people maybe one of the tech types can figure out a better way to do this

Okay I know that "TrustedInstaller" is a hidden User (in the same way that "Administrator" is) but I don't see it anywhere in Services on my Windows Vista Ultimate machine (bear in mind I'm using the 32-bit version).

However I see no reason to disable this or the Windows Update Service, instead I suggest setting the Windows Update service to "Download Updates but let me choose whether to install them" under the Control Panel-->Security--->Windows Update--->Change Settings.

That way it will download the updates whenever your internet connection is not being used (if you have an always-on connection via a router or High Speed Internet) but will not install them randomly and lag up your game.

Again for the safety of your computer I highly DISCOURAGE turning off Automatic Updating entirely[/li]

• 5.)Notes on Windows 7's New Firewall, Blizzard's Downloader & Peer-to-Peer
      ZOMG....Blizzard's Downloader says I'm behind a Firewall! but I set everything up just like you told me. Except I have windows 7 and only set up the Firewall Rules for Inbound. Is that a problem?

INBOUND & OUTBOUND Rules must be set in Windows 7's Firewall. This is a new Windows 7 Feature that blocks both inbound & outbound....prior to this only inbound was blocked by default. All other firewall products block both inbound and outbound traffic BY DEFAULT and have done so since they started being widely available nearly a decade ago. This is simply Microsoft finally (and belatedly) playing catch-up to the industry with their built in tools.

Blizzard's Downloader uses the Peer-to-Peer (P2P) download method in the same way that BitTorrent or uTorrent do (in fact it actually CREATES a .torrent file in a folder), so if you're on a college campus (most of which block P2P traffic by default) you will get that message.

Same thing if your ISP uses selective traffic control/packet shaping (which does the same thing essentially-causes the packets it DOESN'T like i.e. P2P traffic to either be blocked or given such low priority that it causes P2P downloads to be slow)

If it is the P2P issue (and isn't resolved by setting appropriate outbound rules) then go into the Downloader Preferences (accessible from the Downloader by selecting "View" & then "Preferences" on the menu bar at the top of the program) & UNCHECK "Enable Peer to Peer Transfer" if that makes it go away ....good. If not then re-check your software firewall, router firewall, and/or move out of your college dorm.

[li]The REASON that P2P traffic is blocked is that it can consume up to 100% of available bandwith (if so allowed) and most P2P traffic is in the form of illegal file sharing. There is only so much bandwith available to either your ISP or your College Campus both of which have to PAY FOR said bandwith.

From your ISP they pay for it by maintaining & upgrading the underground lines, switching & distribution stations & hubs etc etc. That is very expensive in having to pay for materials & employee salaries and STILL see a profit at the end of the day without raising rates enormously.

Your college campus (or apartment landlord, condo owner, etc) pays for it the old fashioned way....with MONEY you PAY THEM in dorm fees, utility fees etc. They are not an UNLIMITED internet source and as such don't want YOU sucking all the internet bandwith and screwing over the rest of the CAMPUS or Apartment complex.

If YOU want UNLIMTED internet with few (if any restrictions) by all means save up and pay for a dedicated T1 or T3 line to your house (at the cost of $3-$5k US Dollars per month) other than that live with the restrictions.

• Also bear in mind that WoW itself does NOT use any sort of P2P communication in game. Having to disable P2P transfer in the Downloader Preferences will in no way, shape, or form interfere with your playing the game itself.

****UNHAPPY BUT IMPORTANT POST 4.0.1 UPDATE*****
      Since the 4.0.1 update many many people are having massive lag and disconnection issues. This is caused by your ISP using traffic shaping or throttling and incorrectly detecting Blizzard's gaming communications as P2P traffic. Blizzard's official statement from a Blue Poster Brianl is as follows
      What may or may not have been known here prior to the decision to implement new features with 4.0.0 is kind of irrelevant to the issue at hand. Even if we knew which ISPs may do rate limiting or other QoS measures, the policy map actually used by those ISPs is not public knowledge. As we are not the Customer of Record for either the local ISPs nor their backbone providers, we have no real right to request that data.

The technology being used today was available for any and all to see once we released the 4.0.1 PTR, months ago. At that time, there was no noticeable issue with thresholding, and the local ISPs could clearly see the type of traffic being transmitted via the multitude of clients logged on to our public test realms and beta servers. We would have had no reason to suppose that it seems a few ISPs (and it is definitely just a few, even if some of them may be the larger ones) would have a policy map in place that would cause drastic issues for some of our valued customers. :(

Just to be clear, our protocol use didn't change, the packet size didn't change, the packet type didn't change, and the port use didn't change. All that seems to have changed was the traffic pattern, and that was enough to evidently make some routers angry. :/

Account and Technical Services

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

If you are having those issues and my tweaks DO NOT resolve it please go to

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053250- (PRE 4.0.3 issues ONLY)
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2228223686- (Consolidated latency tracking and reporting)

Figure out which category you fall under and make a post on one of those three posts. I'm sorry but there is nothing I can do at this point except to suggest you pester Blizzard, your ISP, wait out a potential fix on November 30,2010 or change your ISP.

There is one other option brought to my attention by Dkatt of the Guild Pantheon on the Arygos Realm: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
      All of you having problems, find a computer you have access to at work/home that has a connection to an ISP that DOESN'T use traffic shaping. Then setup a SSH tunnel between the two. You do NOT have to pay a dime for it.

I posted a HowTo there: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1083360834

Since I have done this, no more random DC's and while latency is about the same, it's much more stable (less lag spikes, spikes are much lower).

[/u]*******END OF UPDATE******[/u]

6.) Miscellaneous System Tweaks
      Author's Note: Thanks for the idea behind this section goes to Roadknight of the Realm Silvermoon. While I am not repeating or quoting his posts verbatim some of the information and ideas contained within can be attempted by users with the proper guidance. I have included a link to a site I have used for such assistance for nearly a decade now that can better explain the main ideas behind Roadknight's post. The other information has been not been added and removed at my request because I felt that attempting those tweaks would do more harm than good to the majority of my readers.

To lessen the number of irritating User Account Control (UAC) prompts on Windows Vista see:
      http://us.norton.com/theme.jsp?themeid=labs_uac&header=0&depthpath=0

This is a much better and safe alternative to disabling UAC entirely on Windows Vista, by essentially adding a "Remember My Choice" button to the UAC prompts that come up when anything is "Run as Administrator".

For those of you who really want to be geeky and mess around with background services and other goodies to squeeze some more power out of your processors and/or internet connections check out:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm

For the sake of sanity and the safety of your machines please note that my standard disclaimer applies here as well.

If you don't want to or don't feel comfortable messing around with "the guts" of the Windows Services, take the time to read Viper's explanation's of what each service is and/or does.

If after having done so you don't feel like this is your ball game then don't do it. Just go on to the next step on my list that you are comfortable with. If you want to do them ensure you have a good working knowledge (provided in great depth by Viper) before you do anything and as always folks, make backups.

Neither I, nor Viper, nor any other contributors to this forum are responsible for what may or may not happen due to incorrect or incomplete tweaking of any piece of hardware.

Part 4-Common Mistakes/Misconceptions
      1.)Please ensure all of your addons are up to date before blaming any individual one.If you have addons of any kind PLEASE PLEASE keep them UP TO DATE. I have seen many many reports like the one below
    Get your guild members to disable/uninstall GearScore during raids.

Its spammy as hell, and many people can't handle raid data along with GearScore spamming you every .2 seconds (YES, every .2 seconds it scans you or someone near you, and transmits that info)

It spams EVERYONE in your guild, whether you have the addon or not, whether you're in raid or not.

WRONG: Gearscore was updated in JANUARY 2010 to address the "Super Spamminess" as this poster called it in his post on February 21,2010 and was updated AGAIN March 25,2010 (the day before this addition to the OP)

Per the author of GS himself as of early January 2010 on this page

http://www.gearscoreaddon.com/commreduction.html.

To make sure your addons are up to date visit

www.curse.com/client

and download the Curse Client which Automatically keeps your addons up to date. If you don't want to do that please manually update your addons on a regular basis and/or check for updates prior to GRIPING about issues that have usually already been fixed. Also DO NOT USE WoWMatrix. THIS PROGRAM ILLEGALLY SIPHONS BANDWIDTH FROM CURSE.COM AND WOWINTERFACE.COM It also illegally modifies the addons to remove author credentials and other bits of code usually breaking the addon in the process. On top of that it HAS been known to spread viruses rather easily.....

....Which brings me to my next item on the list

2.)
    I wanna add that it also makes a huge difference what security software you run. If you run anything from Symantec or AVG (Norton and McAfee are Symantec), you're better off formatting your computer and reinstalling everything, and delete and throw away anything that says Norton or McAfee....

WRONG: a.)McAfee is created (& owned) by McAfee Corporation which is separate from Symantec Corporation (the makers of Norton/Symantec Security Products).

However, if you have Norton Antivirus, Symantec Antivirus, Norton/Symantec Products of ANY kind they can wreak havoc with your internet connection and I STRONGLY suggest you find a different vendor. Same goes for anyone using any sort of McAfee Products. It's nothing personal it is simply years & years of observing these programs cripple online gaming.

....Those programs are made so they cannot be properly uninstalled, once you install them your Windows installation is ruined forever.

WRONG: b.)Norton/Symantec products MUST be uninstalled using the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) available from Symantec at :

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=&pvid=&docurl=20080710133024EN

******UPDATE*****10/15/10
      c.) McAfee products MUST be uninstalled using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal (MCPR) Tool available from McAfee at :

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
      *****END OF UPDATE*****10/15/10

*****UPDATE*****2/23/11
      d.) AVG products MUST be uninstalled using the AVG Removal Tool available from AVG at:
      http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools
      *****END OF UPDATE*****2/23/11

Uninstalling any other way CAN and WILL leave traces behind almost guaranteed to screw up your machine sometimes needing a full reformat of the Hard Drive to fix.

In place of Norton/Symantec/McAfee there are MANY MANY FREE alternatives including (but not limited to):

Panda Cloud Antivirus (Which I personally use)
      http://www.cloudantivirus.com

AVAST Antivirus
      http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

ZoneAlarm Firewall
      http://www.zonelabs.com

Microsoft Security Essentials (Again I also personally use this)
      http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (I have this on my machine but the first two programs usually catch everything so this is only run about once per month)
      http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Avira AntiVir Personal
      http://www.free-av.com/

For more security products and tips I strongly urge all readers to please peruse Talrenya's extensive post on Basic Security Guidlines accessible as a sticky in this forum and the following link:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/981678643

3.)
    For those folks who are confused by the UpNP statements the amazing poster above made you most likely use vista. The wonderful folks at vista renamed UpNP, which is why you can search for it all day long and not find it listed in programs to allow through your windows firewall. UpNP is renamed network discovery by the flamers at windows and is ALWAYS off by default.

Partly Wrong:In Vista's Services Panel :"UPnP Device Host" is definitely listed, however what this poster is correct in saying that "Network Discovery" is ALWAYS OFF. It is listed in the Services Panel as "SSDP Discovery" and is off by default however enabling "UPnP Device Host" & ensuring that it is set to Automatic should also (normally) turn on SSDP Discovery automatically

Part 5-ZOMG Where's MY LAG COMING FROM?!
    If you are having lag or latency issues (NOT FPS ISSUES) and NOTHING has helped you start by running a pathping
    1.) Go and download the following tools:

the TCPView tool from-http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx
    WinMTR from-http://winmtr.net/
    3d Traceroute from-http://www.d3tr.com/

2.) Once WoW is running (fully logged in with your toon in-game) open up TCPView and find the entries for WoW.exe, then look over several columns to find the Remote IP addresses that is listed next to port 3724 (usually at least 2)

3.) If WoW won't launch/connect see http://www.wowwiki.com/US_realm_list_by_datacenter for your realm's IP(s)
    4.) Write down the IP addresses xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Then
    For Windows XP:

Click Start and then Run
    Type in CMD and press Enter
    In the command window, type 'pathping [the IP address you wrote]> C:\pathping.txt' (without the quotes) and press the Enter key.
    A file will be created on your C: drive called pathping.txt that contains your Pathping information. Please be patient when waiting for the pathping command to complete, it WILL take several minutes. When you are returned to the command prompt, then the trace is complete.

Type exit and press the Enter key to close the command window.

Please attach your pathping.txt to your reply for further analysis and make sure to enclose this in code blocks so it is easier to read. That can be done by highlighting the text and hitting the "pre" button in the formatting buttons area.

For Windows Vista and 7:

Click Start and in the "Start Search" field type CMD.
    The search should find the cmd.exe program.
    Please right click on that program and select "Run as Administrator" to load up the command window.
    In the command window, type 'pathping [the IP address you wrote]> C:\pathping.txt' (without the quotes) and press the Enter key.
    A file will be created on your C: drive called pathping.txt that contains your Pathping information. Please be patient when waiting for the pathping command to complete, it WILL take several minutes.
    Type exit and press the Enter key to close the command window.

Please attach your pathping.txt to your reply for further analysis and make sure to enclose this in code blocks so it is easier to read. That can be done by highlighting the text and hitting the "pre" button in the formatting buttons area.

If necessary, repeat these tests with WinMTR (which is an infinite traceroute) and 3d Traceroute (which shows the results as a 3d image) and post those as well also enclosing them in code blocks so it is easier to read. Again, that can be done by highlighting the text and hitting the "pre" button in the formatting buttons area.

If you are having FPS issues you will need to furnish a DirectX Diagnostic (DxDiag) Report

Press the Windows key + R at the same time and type in "Dxdiag" (without the quotes) in the run box and hit Enter.

Give the tests 2-5 minutes to run (little green bar at the bottom left fills up fully and disappears) & then hit "save all information".

Open up the text file and copy & paste ALL the results into your next post for more support. Make sure to enclose this in code blocks so it is easier to read. That can be done by highlighting the text of the report and hitting the "pre" button in the formatting buttons area.

Additionally running CPUID's HWMonitor program can help give you temperature readings on all your internal hardware as many FPS drops are caused by overheating. It can be downloaded at: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

--edit--
    Changed title, stickying

---EDIT---
    3/24/2010
    Combined info from 3rd page of topic into original post

-Jonsey aka Drunkinhik

--EDIT & UPDATE---
    3/26/2010
    Added more info to help with understanding, mostly responses from the 3rd-4th pages.

-Jonsey aka Drunkinhik

--EDIT & UPDATE---
    3/31/2010
    Added more tips provided by other commenters. Keep the extra tips, tricks, and other things I mentioned rolling in in the extra comments. All I ask is that once I respond to your post as having added it that you delete it from wherever it is in the thread (to prevent redundancy)

-Jonsey aka Drunkinhik

--EDIT & UPDATE---
    6/13/2010
    Changed port list to reflect new port usage as given by blizzard on page 5 of the old forum post.

--EDIT & UPDATE--
    10/13/10
    Added "Run As Admin" tips to Part 1

--EDIT & UPDATE--
    10/16/10
    Miscellaneous additions

--EDIT & UPDATE--
    11/16/10

MOVED TO NEW FORUM

--EDIT & UPDATE--
    11/22/10
    Added post 4.0.1 Peer to Peer traffic shaping issue :( and potential fix

--EDIT & UPDATE--
    12/23/10
    Added Basic Traceroute (tracert) and DirectX Diagnostic (DxDiag) Report instructions

--EDIT & UPDATE--
    1/31/11
    Added Basic Path Ping instructions, replacing Traceroute instructions

--EDIT & UPDATE--
    2/23/11
    Added AVG removal tool instructions and UPnP test update

--EDIT & UPDATE--
    3/18/11
    Added links and directions for additional latency tracking tools WinMTR and 3dTraceroute

If this has helped you, if you would like help or if you have additional tips and/or suggestions:
    hit "LIKE" and/or leave a comment
    Edited by Drunkinhik on 3/18/2011 11:46 AM PDT
    85 Orc Rogue
    d
    Edited by Drunkinhik on 2/15/2011 6:22 AM PST
    Support Forum Agent
    Thank you for posting this again! I have added this thread to the Sticky (at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/933154288) so we do not have the insane number of stickies we had in the old forums (which we are apparently working on anyway ;p)
    Account and Technical Services || I am available 6:45AM-3:45PM Pacific
    Can't find a resolution on the forums, contact a Support Rep directly: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html
    http://www.surveymk.com/s/RZRWLCB < Show me you love me!
    The word lethologica describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.
    85 Orc Rogue
    The only problem with this not being stickied is then less people will see it, I think. I do like that you added it to the main tips sticky though. I appreciate it.

Any word on/when if we are getting forum signatures?
    80 Night Elf Hunter
    I'm having d/c problems at random periods of the day. Like today I played fine for 3-4 hours and after that I DC once and it's over. I DC everytime I join a BG/Instance or even roaming in the world.

I don't see why my game would be running fien then all of a sudden it stops. Any insight on what I should do? I know theres ALOT of tips up there but honestly the last time I tried tweaking settings to "fix" my game it made it worse.

85 Orc Rogue
    I'm having d/c problems at random periods of the day. Like today I played fine for 3-4 hours and after that I DC once and it's over. I DC everytime I join a BG/Instance or even roaming in the world.

I don't see why my game would be running fien then all of a sudden it stops. Any insight on what I should do? I know theres ALOT of tips up there but honestly the last time I tried tweaking settings to "fix" my game it made it worse.

Try again. Go through my list step by step.
    If not then re-check your software firewall, router firewall, and/or move out of your college dorm.

While I applaud your comprehensive attempt at assisting players, there seems to be a bit of a gap - unless I missed something. Regarding the p2p issue (#5 above), this is the issue that I have been experiencing since 4.0.1 and the constant d/c's are fairly aggravating. I'm pretty much just waiting for it to get sorted out, whether it be on Blizzard's end or the ISP's. My reason for posting here is that maybe there is in fact a solution that you, or someone else, may be aware of; because, assuming everything else is in order (firewall, etc.), in you're post above you only explain why ISPs limit bandwidth (in addition to offering the solution of moving, seriously?) While that's nice and all, that's not really my problem is it? Blizzard modified their end so that ISPs, understandably of course, shape the traffic now -- something which is beyond my control.
    85 Orc Rogue
    If not then re-check your software firewall, router firewall, and/or move out of your college dorm.

While I applaud your comprehensive attempt at assisting players, there seems to be a bit of a gap - unless I missed something. Regarding the p2p issue (#5 above), this is the issue that I have been experiencing since 4.0.1 and the constant d/c's are fairly aggravating. I'm pretty much just waiting for it to get sorted out, whether it be on Blizzard's end or the ISP's. My reason for posting here is that maybe there is in fact a solution that you, or someone else, may be aware of; because, assuming everything else is in order (firewall, etc.), in you're post above you only explain why ISPs limit bandwidth (in addition to offering the solution of moving, seriously?) While that's nice and all, that's not really my problem is it? Blizzard modified their end so that ISPs, understandably of course, shape the traffic now -- something which is beyond my control.

Sorry I need to update that section-yea Blizzard did make changes in the traffic patterns and ONLY the traffic patterns, but even this apparently minor change was enough to make many ISPs treat it as P2P traffic. Unfortunately the only thing I can suggest is making a post to:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053250

and then either

a.) wait it out

or b.) switch ISPs

sorry man.
    80 Dwarf Paladin
    OR

C) They could revert their traffic back to what it was before and fix the problems without tons of time and money needing to be spent on the ISP end.

This is ridiculous. That would be like gas companies suddenly changing gasoline and not telling the car companies so they could adjust, and everyone's car breaking down from it, then expecting the car companies to adjust instead of just going back to the old gasoline.
    85 Gnome Mage
    Is any of this verified, or is this just copy/paste over and over without anyone doing sanity checks...

Being a computer guy I will chime in.....

DO NOT enable Jumbo frames unless ALL devices on your network has it enabled and the MTU set the same.

ZoneAlarm Firewall = garbage, don't recommend.
    Edited by Wangfu on 11/21/2010 4:38 PM PST
    85 Orc Rogue
    Is any of this verified, or is this just copy/paste over and over without anyone doing sanity checks...

Being a computer guy I will chime in.....

DO NOT enable Jumbo frames unless ALL devices on your network has it enabled and the MTU set the same.

ZoneAlarm Firewall = garbage, don't recommend.

I have done almost every single one of these tweaks myself, with the sole exception being the 2Wire Router Tweak, as I don't have a 2Wire Router.

So yea I have "sanity checked" it as you put it. My original post was made on the old forums November 11, 2009. I simply added to it repeatedly over the last year.

Finally the Jumbo Frames tweak personally helped me out quite a bit.
    85 Orc Rogue
    OR

C) They could revert their traffic back to what it was before and fix the problems without tons of time and money needing to be spent on the ISP end.

This is ridiculous. That would be like gas companies suddenly changing gasoline and not telling the car companies so they could adjust, and everyone's car breaking down from it, then expecting the car companies to adjust instead of just going back to the old gasoline.

Actually they can't do that option. This was built into the new Cata launcher and had been for months and months (as well as the Cata Beta). It isn't something they can easily go back and undo without completely redoing an insanely huge amount of code.

And ironically what you have suggested about gas & car companies has actually happened over the past 15 or so years with the Federal and State mandated usage of Ethanol fuels in the USA.

It makes the car, especially the rubber hoses and plastic parts wear out much much faster and increases engine corrosion. Car companies have indeed "just had to adjust" as you put it.
    80 Draenei Shaman
    Ever since 4.03, I've been getting 7-10 second imput lag. Chat, Spells, Loading, everything is delayed, except RealID chat. That is still maintained at normal speed. The PC is in a computer lab, where previously to 4.03, I played every night with no lag. My PC hasn't changed. My Internet hasn't changed (friend brought my laptop and switched it over to that, with little problem) the internet seems fine here. I have no addons installed and deleted my wtf.

Any suggestions as to what could be lagging me out?
    36 Undead Warrior
    What's weird is that I have a friend in the dorms here that has been beta testing Cataclysm for some time with their special launcher. He had no problems at all until the patch was released for the whole game. Then suddenly it was like the ISP couldn't stop blocking.
    85 Orc Rogue
    Ever since 4.03, I've been getting 7-10 second input lag. Chat, Spells, Loading, everything is delayed, except RealID chat. That is still maintained at normal speed. The PC is in a computer lab, where previously to 4.03, I played every night with no lag. My PC hasn't changed. My Internet hasn't changed (friend brought my laptop and switched it over to that, with little problem) the internet seems fine here. I have no addons installed and deleted my wtf.

Any suggestions as to what could be lagging me out?

I've actually also suffered from this issue intermittently since the 4.0.3 patch I can only assume there are some code oddities that will be straightened out when 4.0.3a hits on Tuesday November 23, 2010 as I don't experience this issue on the PTR which runs 4.0.3a.
    85 Blood Elf Rogue
    Anyone have problems logging on? It won't connect to servers and keeps kicking me back to the realm lists.
    90 Blood Elf Hunter
    I was being kicked back to the realm list until I added the tcp and udp ports for wow to my firewall and router.
    90 Undead Warlock
    Fustration and Anger. Took the free server transfer off Blackrock to Nazjatar, figured it be better than a 4hrs wait in queue to get on, almost a full guild transfer. Now I can barely get on any server, it gets stuck at 'logging in to game server' from the realm list, comp crashed in deepholm when I could get on, still gotta try numerous times to get on when I go to a internet gaming place and have to pay more to play this game that was enjoyable when these problems weren't present.
    80 Blood Elf Death Knight
    where i can find account transfer becuse your profile is changeing that why i cannot find it
    85 Orc Rogue
    12/10/2010 1:27 AMPosted by Deathmist
    Fustration and Anger. Took the free server transfer off Blackrock to Nazjatar, figured it be better than a 4hrs wait in queue to get on, almost a full guild transfer. Now I can barely get on any server, it gets stuck at 'logging in to game server' from the realm list, comp crashed in deepholm when I could get on, still gotta try numerous times to get on when I go to a internet gaming place and have to pay more to play this game that was enjoyable when these problems weren't present.

Sounds like the login servers are bogged down for you buddy. That is unfortunately NORMAL during the release of a major Expansion. On the night of release it took me nearly 45 minutes to log in after 12:01am PST. Now if you could explain your problems in more depth I might be able to help you. i.e. include specs, tracerts, etc.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]