Backing up WoW and/or patches

80 Night Elf Druid
Right after I had downloaded the 4.0.1 patch, around the beginning of November, I had fun for about a day playing the pre-Cataclysm quests...until my beloved 9800GTX+ died on 6 November, right after I'd been admiring the new sunshaft effects. I'm now using the old 8400GS that came with this computer when I got it two and a half years ago....ouch. Big difference.

After the card died, I formatted my machine to be sure that everything was clean, and to rule out any other issues. Thus, I had to redownload the entire patch over again, which took days for me due to my internet being snarky lately. Since I had patched before the card's death, all the changes had been implemented into my chars, so I couldn't play until the thing was done, a week, yes, a week later.

So my question is, is there a way to back up the game, and/or its patches, so that they can be replaced onto my hard disk in the proper location, so that I don't have to undergo that painful process again? I format 1-2 times a year, so it would be really nice to be able to back the game up somehow. I do have the discs from WoW on through WotLK(because having them on a physical medium is really nice), and will be getting Cataclysm CE in December.

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
You can literally just copy (or compress) the WoW directory, and that will be a functional backup.

WoW does not store any data (that it cannot replace) in the Windows registry hive, and all client settings are in the WoW folder itself.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]