Glass Canonitis

81 Orc Warrior
I'm now 80(about a week) and this is my first 80 ever. I've been upping my GS and I'm now at 4.1k my biggest issue I'm finding right now is that I'm a glass cannon. I've reforged all gear to hit and I put bold Cardinal rubies in my red slots on higher gear (264ish) what should I be doing to increase my survivability, I'm careful to watch my aggro so I don't pull and have been learning TONS from the Instances( I even have the first 2 bosses under my belt in ICC 10). I can explain choices I made in my talents. Some of my gems are lowish but that's bc I didn't want to invest the coin for the top rated gems for gear that is not up there(putting a +20 str into a 200 item seems silly imo). I'm still building my gear up so I'm looking for advice and suggestions of what gear to look for from vendor's or the normal heroics atm as the 10 instances are still a bit new to me and I need to learn the fights more.

Thx
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
You have to be a glass pea shooter before you can be a glass cannon.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Ignoring the fact that you seem to be a newb, you at least come outright and admit it, so you win my respect for now.

DPS warriors are glass cannons. In raids, a lot of the raid damage will be taken by you, notwithstanding the tanks. It's your job to pay attention and stay out of the fire as much as possible and to watch your threat and where other mobs are carefully. Blizzard has designed us to be like Magi, in that we are weak when attacked and are easy to die. We have high burst damage, and we have high threat with no aggro dump. That makes us dangerous. A good fury warrior will be top on AoE fights, including the Lich King. A bad one will be dead.

Some advice that will go a lot further than what most will give you:

1. Instead of learning your class for this patch, learn how to learn about your class. Look up websites like Elitistjerks.com and read their forums, ask (good) questions, be informed.
2. Practice. If you know you get hit by fire, do chain heroics and pay attention to where you are, rather than what your DPS is. Pay attention to boss mechanics, even in heroics. Set a goal to not take damage. While the damage is very low and you're probably safe from dying, it's excellent practice.
3. Take some initiative. Yeah it's a bit nerdy, but play around with the gear you know drops off bosses, and the gear you can get from vendors. Do a little bit of napkin math. Figure out what's best for you. I personally like some of the survivability talents in my spec because I have specific jobs in my raid group.

For right now, you want to hit your Hit Cap (27%), then you want to be Expertise Capped around 24-26 depending on your gear, and finally, you want to make sure you have all your gems taken into consideration. Blue sockets are now viable for Hit gems.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Blue sockets are now viable for Hit gems.

(good advice otherwise btw)

For now, even though you need to reforge 27% hit, dont put 20hit gems in your gear. you should never do that at this point as you can easily reforge/gear for that much hit. Just put 2x Etched Dreadstones in 2 blue sockets to get the meta acitvated(21%crit, 3%inc crit damage).

The best way to learn your class is to always ask other good warriors on your server how they go about it.

EDIT:

So, One thing that has ALWAYS helped me is getting Atlas Loot Enhanced off of Curse.com. That way you can see what instances drop upgrades for you so you know what instances you need to be doing for gear.

PvP gear is bad for PvE. always will be too! Get the 245 crafted Plate bracers: http://www.wowhead.com/item=47573 which are realatively cheap nowadays.

Atlas Loot Enhanced has a "crafting" section that you can look into and see what upgrades you can get from Blacksmiths. So check what you can get from there as well.
Edited by Carried on 11/17/2010 1:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I should have clarified that I meant Hit/STR or Hit/Crit by "Hit Gems".

20+ Hit can be useful if say you have reforged all your gear into hit, and you have a blue slot. If you have two blue slots, use a purple gem.

Again, this is all common sense to some of us, and it's secret knowledge to others. It's all about initiative and taking the time to learn.
Edited by Ryga on 11/17/2010 1:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Thank you for listening to me and posting here! ^_^
Reply Quote
81 Orc Warrior
^^ Ty Rogue and yes I did read Sam's Cat thread too, as for my beard...it has to be contained behind my helm or else all hell breaks loose :oP

Ryga:

[/quote]
DPS warriors are glass cannons. In raids, a lot of the raid damage will be taken by you, notwithstanding the tanks. It's your job to pay attention and stay out of the fire as much as possible and to watch your threat and where other mobs are carefully. Blizzard has designed us to be like Magi, in that we are weak when attacked and are easy to die. We have high burst damage, and we have high threat with no aggro dump. That makes us dangerous. A good fury warrior will be top on AoE fights, including the Lich King. A bad one will be dead.

Some advice that will go a lot further than what most will give you:

1. Instead of learning your class for this patch, learn how to learn about your class. Look up websites like Elitistjerks.com and read their forums, ask (good) questions, be informed.
2. Practice. If you know you get hit by fire, do chain heroics and pay attention to where you are, rather than what your DPS is. Pay attention to boss mechanics, even in heroics. Set a goal to not take damage. While the damage is very low and you're probably safe from dying, it's excellent practice.
3. Take some initiative. Yeah it's a bit nerdy, but play around with the gear you know drops off bosses, and the gear you can get from vendors. Do a little bit of napkin math. Figure out what's best for you. I personally like some of the survivability talents in my spec because I have specific jobs in my raid group.

For right now, you want to hit your Hit Cap (27%), then you want to be Expertise Capped around 24-26 depending on your gear, and finally, you want to make sure you have all your gems taken into consideration. Blue sockets are now viable for Hit gems.[/quote]

#1 ok I'll check them out.

#2 I don't watch my DPS count (I check it at the end of the runs and I'm almost always happy with the results). I haven't been booted from any groups thus far, so I'm sure my Rot. is good it was the surivability part from huge burst hits like 25k AoE's that are wrecking me, but I'm working on my ducking and weaving, I use Deadly boss mods and follow the count downs, guess I have to release sooner and head for cover instead of getting that one last HS in.

#3 So far everytime I get a new piece of gear it's a visible upgrade, but I'll start working on the math part. I was using the armory to hunt for gear and check the stats is this a bad way of looking?

To the others that replied ty also, I appreciate the info.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
No problem. Anything to help another warrior who's willing to learn to play better. If more people had your patience, WoW would be one of the most enjoyable activities on the planet, honestly. It's such a great place to meet people from different places, but for some reason people seem to treat it as a completely different world with different social norms, etc. One thing that shines through, however is common ignorance. Life goes on, however.

To get back on topic, if you want, you can hit me up in-game for some more advice. If you're on during the day today, I'll gladly invite you to my vent and we can talk about warrior stuff. If not, feel free to post back here. I'll be glad to help.
Reply Quote
81 Orc Warrior
that would be awesome Ryga but i'm with-out a mic atm i'll def. give you a shout when i get a new set of cans that have an operating mic though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]