Quests gold reward reduced?

85 Gnome Warrior
Has anyone noticed that daily quests in Icecrown that used to award 13g now only award 7g? Argent Tourney dailies look fine.

Could this be a bug?
Edited by Hightower on 11/18/2010 4:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Priest
I'm curious too....
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
they have definately been cut. i just did all the argent dailies and got from 2 gold and change to 7 gold from them. this definately fails
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Interesting. I looked in my quest log and saw the full reward for the Argent Tourney daily and when I turned it in, the amount was actually less.

I don't recall dailies being nerfed prior to an expansion. Does anyone remember if the Isle of Quel'Danas were nerfed before or after WoTLK hit?

Oh well. Guess I won't be spending time grinding dailies. :(
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
im hoping that its just in preperation for the lvl cap to be raised. maybe they will give xp and reduced gold untill 85, that would at least make getting less gold more palatable. if not ill still do them as i need hundreds more of the champ seals for all the goodies there.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Possibly they don't want level 85s coming back and farming them for even faster gold? Who knows.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Problem with this is that quests already scale to your level. If you can get xp off of them your gold reward drops quite a bit. We shouldn't be taking a hit like this on gold until cataclysm comes out. Not all of us play the AH and depend on these quests for our income.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
7g is the actual gold reward for those quests. You used to get 13g by being capped and having exp turn into gold. I am guessing that they have turned off exp for these quests to demotivate half the playerbase from saving up a log full of Tourney quests to turn in the moment Cata goes live.

I will try to check with a sub-80 player today, unless somebody else can do that quickly.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Hodir dailys are changed as well, im willing to bet ALL of then have been, it seems that the XP-gold conversion was turned off for all dailys
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
7g is the actual gold reward for those quests. You used to get 13g by being capped and having exp turn into gold. I am guessing that they have turned off exp for these quests to demotivate half the playerbase from saving up a log full of Tourney quests to turn in the moment Cata goes live.

I will try to check with a sub-80 player today, unless somebody else can do that quickly.

the problem is some of the in Arget quests are being reduced to 2g like Threat from Above.

Anyway there is still 20 days before Cata is out, so you are still level capped and it should reward the money for level capped unless Blizzard reduced the xp reward from those dailies.

i can get like 3k~5k on those 20days in the old reward but now it is kinda useless to do dailies for 60g per day reward that will go to repair.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Yumekado, that was exactly my plan. But I think Thrugg hit the nail on the head.

The Champion Seals are still the most convenient/affordable way to get the BOA gear for alt leveling. Cuts off about 30 mins from my daily grind.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
OK I went out with a level 80 and a level 79 to see what I could work out.

Dalaran Cooking daily - still gives 5g80s and 16350 exp to the 79 as before. Only gives 5g80s to the 80. Interestingly, in the quest log it still said the 80 was going to get 9g93s like it used to, but in the dialog where you accept the quest and also when you turn it in it does say you will only get 5g80s.

Regular quest (at Argent Vanguard because they were close by) - still gives 6g80s and 21600 exp to the 79. Only gives 6g80s to the 80 while it used to give 12g96s.

Same story for the Skybreaker dailies. Couldn't do them on the 79 yet but for the 80, 7g40s down from 13g23 previously.

So I think I can see what is going on. The way exp to gold works is that you earn whichever is highest out of the usual quest reward, or 6c * the experience the quest is worth.
The Argent Tourney quest "Taking Battle to the Enemy" gave the answer - previously it didn't have a gold reward at all, if you do it at 79. You just get 22050 exp (plus the bag and the seal etc). Which meant at 80 you got 6c * 22050 = 13g20s. But now we get 2g20s50c - and that number is pretty recognisable. We are only getting 1c per exp now instead of 6c.
And since 1c per exp is almost always less than the normal gold reward, we are just getting the normal gold reward for all the other quests.

The question remains is this an intended change for Cata - can't see how it would be, exp rewards and gold rewards seem to be going up about the same amount, which means gold per exp will be just as useless at 85 as it suddenly is now.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
One possible reason for the change is they may have meant to switch the way it works from rewarding the higher of (normal reward, 6c per exp) to giving normal reward plus1c per exp... that was closer to how it worked in BC. But maybe they forgot to change the "plus" bit.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
it's not only the dailies, just doing normal quests on my 80 in Icecrown that i haven't done yet. The "go talk to so & so" quests that normally give 3g+ now only give 1g maybe 2g. and the harder normal quests(non elite/group quests) that normally give 13g-23g at lvl 80 are only giving 7g-11g + change. this is totally screwed. i know blizzard normally reduces gold exchange in return giving exp but that's only when the expansion has been released. i have no idea why they're doing it 2+ weeks early. they are messing with the current economy on the servers, this isn't a good thing at all.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
i did the dailies before the shutdown yesterday, and till then it worked normally, after servers went up again, i did them on my Mage and noticed the changes.

but on my server it shows it rewards 7g for Almost every daily and 2g for Threat from Above and Battle before Cathedral

well one explanation is that the quest returned to give you the normal reward money like Thrugg said and EXP reward to level to 81 (Maybe BLizzard Added Level 85 as Cap in this maintenance) but since you still can't level up it doesn't reward the EXP to you and they are not being converted to gold like they should be since system doesn't see level 80 as cap, but the thing i don't understand is why Threat from Above reward 2.5g, unless the previous gold reward was based on EXP you gain from the quest and the actual money reward is 2.g5. (well at least bags rewards 12g like always)
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
the thing i don't understand is why Threat from Above reward 2.5g, unless the previous gold reward was based on EXP you gain from the quest and the actual money reward is 2.g5. (well at least bags rewards 12g like always)

Threat From Above rewards no gold to people below 80, only exp. This is how we can tell what they did.

The way exp to gold works is, they calculate how much 6c per exp is worth, and they compare that to the quest's basic gold reward. Then they give you the higher of the two. Most level 80 quests give about 22000 exp and have a base gold reward of 7g. 6c per exp times 22000 exp is about 13 gold, so we have until now been getting the 13g.

The change we just received is that they dropped that 6c down to 1c. So now a level 80 quest is only worth about 2.2g - less than the base reward, so we are getting the base reward now.

Threat From Above is interesting because it has no base reward, just 22050 exp. It used to give 6c * 22050 = 13.23g, but now it only gives 1c * 22050 = 2.20g - which is still higher than the base reward of zero, which is the only reason we can see what happened.

If they had taken away exp to gold altogether then Threat would not reward gold (apart from the bag) at all.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Thrugg - thank you for your replies. I have learned much about the questing/rewards from reading them.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Hunter
PS: Regular quests aren't rewarding the expected extra gold either. Not all quests are effected. Thrugg has given me something new to think on the reason for that, but I still reserve the right to be skeptic on what is exactly happening.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

i went around asking the non 80s about the quest EXP and Money reward for some areas and checked them myself.

as Thrugg said, the reward money and exp didn't change. but 80 now only get a little more g than non 80s
normal Argent dailies give you 5~6 gold and around 25k EXP. besides:
Threat from Above
Among the Champions
Taking Battle to the Enemy
which reward only 2g 20s 50c
all other quests give around 7g 40s.

so it seems like Thrugg said "The change we just received is that they dropped that 6c down to 1c. So now a level 80 quest is only worth about 2.2g - less than the base reward, so we are getting the base reward now"

so the question now, did Blizzard do this intentionally or it was and error ?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Could it be possible they actually lowered the experience you get for completing these quests once you hit level 80 by 5/6ths?

Edit: Actually, I just did a quest, wowhead lists it as:

Jormuttar is Soo Fat..
Rewards
You will receive: 7g40s (or 13g23s if completed at level 80)

The quest told me it would only give me 7 gold 40 silver, and that's what I got.

So.. either they completely turned off the exp to gold conversion accidently (prematurely, if you will), or they completely turned it off because they don't want level 80s to get ANY experience from Northrend when Cata hits.

However, that theory could be shot because I also did some Icecrown quests, for example,

Coprous the Defiled
Wowhead lists the rewards as:
You will receive: 14g80s (or 16g53s if completed at level 80)

My reward is listed as 16g53s if I were to turn the quest in. So.. I guess I'm unsure.

Further edit:

Well.. after a bit more digging I'm seeing that my quests that aren't affected by the gold reduction all seem to be group quests.. so maybe that can help someone figure this out.
Edited by Lunasea on 11/18/2010 12:42 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]