Unholy is Broken

85 Goblin Death Knight
So I'v been comparing Unholy and 2H Frost all day and Iv come to the conclusion Unholy is not even in the same leaque as frost right now...unless I'm doing the rotation wrong. In 2H frost on Heroic dummy I am pulling 8.1k and in Unholy I was barely pulling 6k. Hmmm.

Any thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Can't say for sure, but I think it might have something to do with you having Icy Touch's glyph.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Can't say for sure, but I think it might have something to do with you doing it wrong.

DW Frost = Unholy > 2Hand Frost
Edited by Grief on 11/12/2010 10:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Then please help me out.
Reply Quote
Then please help me out.
Change the Icy Touch glyph to Scourge Strike. I'm pretty sure that will fix quite a bit. Beyond that, not sure what you're doing that could be wrong.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Then please help me out.
Change the Icy Touch glyph to Scourge Strike. I'm pretty sure that will fix quite a bit. Beyond that, not sure what you're doing that could be wrong.

Well i just changed it and still nothing major. I barely peaked 7k. and I am able to to maintain 8.1k in 2H frost.

Whats the rotation. Because right now im just doing FS,SS,SS,SS
Reply Quote
Then please help me out.

Well i just changed it and still nothing major. I barely peaked 7k. and I am able to to maintain 8.1k in 2H frost.

Whats the rotation. Because right now im just doing FS,SS,SS,SS
Not sure if you're using the same gear between specs, but to my understanding, Mastery's pretty bad for Unholy and you've Reforged away some stats for it though not much.

There's not exactly a rotation from what I'm reading, just priority.
Diseases > Dark Transformation > Festering Strike if BBFF > Sudden Doom @ 85+ RP > Scourge Strike > Festering Strike if BF > Death Coil > Horn of Winter.

Is your Ghoul's Claw set to Auto?
Edited by Landale on 11/13/2010 12:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I think iv been doing ok this whole time. My recount just keeps breaking for some reason.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I hear that recent changes to the game now make practice dummies the best way to measure dps. Confirm/deny?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
Confirm, apparently.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Please don't start threads stating a spec is broken just because you can't get it to work right for you. First, it's kind of hard to help you without knowing how you're set up for unholy. Currently your set up for frost dps(as an above poster stated) so that would be a big reason as to why you wouldn't be performing well in unholy. even though Blizzard has made all the specs much simpler, it doesn't mean you can just pick up and play them and expect to do competitive dps. You need to do your homework as all good players do. I suggest you head over to the Elitistjerk forums and help yourself to the wealth of information that is availiable to help you.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
I hear that recent changes to the game now make practice dummies the best way to measure dps. Confirm/deny?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Unholy is fine, your brain is broken.

You think target dummies are an accurate dps test. Target dummies have always been wildly innaccurate.

If you want real data, compare parses from a 100% uptime fight like H saurfang.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
you do realize howling blast hits all the dummies where as IT only hits one right
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Textbook case of "doin it rong".
Reply Quote
98 Blood Elf Death Knight
Stop using dummies to test your DPS and you'll be good to go.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I've tried 2h frost and unholy and imo frost>unholy.

Obliterate crits for 16-20k and frost strike crits for 13+k

along with howling blast which crits for 12k

SS is still broken. Still hits like a wet noodle compared to Obliterate
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
How hard each ability is hitting on its own is irrelevant, its total dps that matters. And on stand-and-deliver fights in icc, Unholy is dominant right now.

At level 85, DW frost will catch up because it is less dependent on secondary stats and more on weapon damage. 2H Frost will fall behind with the loss of a good amount of haste at 85.

Just looking at world of logs, it looks like the top frost DPS right now on saur are pulling about 20k, while the top unholy are pulling around 25k dps.
Edited by Griefpb on 11/16/2010 1:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Comparing strike-to-strike damage is silly. Unholy also has stronger diseases, more frequent (free) Death Coils, and pet damage that affect their DPS. Frost is all about fewer, hard hitting abilities. Unholy is about more, weaker factors that affect dps.

It balances out.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Do you have everything reforged into Haste? That's Unholy's best stat by far. It's difficult to compare unholy to frost when the gear doesn't change between the two instances. Simming might give you a better idea.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]