New 80 Prot Pali here

80 Human Paladin
Hey guys this is my first prot pali, ive been tanking as i lvled of course, but i wanted to know what glyphs, Gems And Enchants i should be aiming to get as of now...Can anyone help... Thank you for your Time =)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Glyphs:

Prime - Seal of Truth, Shield of the Righteous, and something else you like...I chose Crusader Strike. Judgement is a good (better) choice for single target threat.

Major - Ascetic Crusader if you want (not mandatory), Holy Wrath (this one is fun), and Focused Shield for boss fights, but for non bosses you can pick whatever you want. There are a lot of interesting glyphs here. I like Turn Evil for trash, instant fear for undead and demons!

Minor - I like Lay on Hands, Truth, and Insight

Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just look at my Profile on here, you can see my spec/gems/enchants and Glyphs... Not only would it be a great place to get an idea from a end game tank, but give you something to base off of.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Paladin
So prot pallys do not need any expertise what so ever?
Edited by Vivied on 11/13/2010 11:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Just some input for weapon enchant, I use Mongoose, it is an old but good one as the proc served (and to my knoweldge still servs) as a triple tank ideal increas. The proc is agil which boosts armor (EH) dodge (avoidance) and crit (threat)
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Paladin
Don't. enchant. armsman.

Just get all the stam stuff you can get your hands on, I'd guess titanweave is still the chant of choice for cloaks since it has dodge now.

So prot pallys do not need any expertise what so ever?

The majority of our threat is made by Holy damage, but it does not hurt to have expertise.

I'm not trying to be mean. I just see a lot of pallys, with good gear, with little to no expertise.

The only reason I ask is because I die a lot to really good geared healers, or my health dips down very fast. So I'm at the reforge to see what stats I do need and use them for mastery.
Edited by Vivied on 11/14/2010 10:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

The majority of our threat is made by Holy damage, but it does not hurt to have expertise.

Actually, expertise is our number TWO threat stat, right after hit (up to hit cap).

The damage type doesn't matter. ShoR for example does holy damage, but it can still be dodged or parried.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I'm not trying to be mean. I just see a lot of pallys, with good gear, with little to no expertise.

Well, if we have the Seal of vengence(truth) glyph, that is 10 expertese while it is active, so we can fudge a little on it. Next time you look at a prot paladin, see how much they have with SoT active as most good ones will aim for the ammount needed with the glyph.
Edited by Hengist on 11/14/2010 1:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Paladin

Well, if we have the Seal of vengence(truth) glyph, that is 10 expertese while it is active, so we can fudge a little on it. Next time you look at a prot paladin, see how much they have with SoT active as most good ones will aim for the ammount needed with the glyph.

I did, most of them did not have the glyph.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

I did, most of them did not have the glyph.

Any paladin tank who doesn't have glyph SoT is doing something wrong. Even if you reach the soft cap without it Expertise is still good.

Woo I am not suspended on these forums.
Edited by Xayton on 11/14/2010 1:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Yet!

I agree with you though, 10 free Expertise SKILL is hard to pass up. It's not just rating. Expertise is still about on par with strength, even past the dodge cap. The only reason not to have the glyph is if you're hard capped on Expertise, which is not easy to do.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

Yet!

I agree with you though, 10 free Expertise SKILL is hard to pass up. It's not just rating. Expertise is still about on par with strength, even past the dodge cap. The only reason not to have the glyph is if you're hard capped on Expertise, which is not easy to do.

That's a bit of a different story. People wearing ICC gear probably are not at the hard cap.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
So for those of us just reading this, the re-cap is Pump hit to the 8% cap. Then Expertise to soft? Sorry for the stupid question here, but I took the summer off because...well I have a social life. For those of us who don't know, What is the soft cap for Exp?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
pallys really need expertise, horribly, i just hate it when i dont land with shield of the righteous and i tank with a lot of agro !!*@*s lol so missing with SotR can hurt my threat, just feels like a waste of a GCD and a waste of a potential holy power the next time you hit
Edited by Ivilaa on 11/15/2010 1:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
pallys really need expertise, horribly, i just hate it when i dont land with shield of the righteous and i tank with a lot of agro !!*@*s lol so missing with SotR can hurt my threat, just feels like a waste of a GCD and a waste of a potential holy power the next time you hit

ShoR doesn't consume holy power if it doesn't deal damage. It only wastes a GCD, but yeah, get your exp and hit up so that doesn't happen as much.

@Discordium: With 4.01, the hit and expertise 'caps' are now shown on your character sheet! Just mouse over the stat. It should tell you what your current chance to miss, get dodged, and get parried by a boss are. It's about time Blizzard did this and I'm glad they did.
Edited by Dekkar on 11/15/2010 1:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Okay now i know I'm missing something. What is GCD?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Okay now i know I'm missing something. What is GCD?

Global Cooldown.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin

Actually, expertise is our number TWO threat stat, right after hit (up to hit cap).

The damage type doesn't matter. ShoR for example does holy damage, but it can still be dodged or parried.

This and bosses with parry haste. After I capped mastery and hit I went after expertise at the expense of about 85 stam. Which is big especially for Vengeance but tbh Im noticing a huge dps and thus tps increase stacking expertise.

The point at which expertise actually hits a DR wall for prot is 55 so its viable if you intend on doing Hardmodes in ICC or RS. If you don't you would want to stack stam after the other prerequisites of Mastery ( block to 102.4- or as close as possible ) then hit then stam /armor then dodge /parry then expertise .

EDIT: Of course things will change in about 3 weeks time , getting block capped will be almost impossible in T11 , expertise drops back to soft cap ( 26 ) and hit will be less of an important stat since taunts got changed ( but STILL IMPORTANT!)

Im tanking in BoT / BWD & CotFW on beta and have stacked mastery pretty much ignoring all other stats and Im only hitting 74.44 % avoidance with HS up with hit sitting at 7.95% and my expertise at 30 or 32 i can't recall. Rocking around 189k stam in full T11 gemmed /enchanted and reforged - these are probably the numbers most of us will have in the first raid tier of content.
Edited by Faecroll on 11/15/2010 10:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]