New 80 Prot Pali here

85 Blood Elf Paladin
SWC

The ones I always have equipped are Seal of truth for prime, HoW for major, and my minors but the only one that matters there is loh. HoW isn't really a must but i like having a free spell if for some reason i end up using a lot of consecrations.
If you want to focus more on self healing and will only use Sotr a few times at the start to solidify your threat lead WoG is a nice option for prime. If you don't want to play that way with only minor WoG usage Sotr is a good prime glyph that you can leave in about all the time.
The third prime will vary. For trash and aoe boss fights Hotr is a good choice. For single target fights I use Judgment. I believe at some gear levels cs can provide higher dps but it's not much and requires hard capping expertise.
Aesthetic Crusader is a decent major, but from my experience it's isn't needed for end game raiding. I use it a lot when soloing old dungeons/raids where there are increased mana cost debuffs that i cannot cleanse and mana burns. Overall it's a decent glyph, but you can use it or not and you won't notice a huge difference.
Divine Protection is worth having for the heavy magic fights around. Not much to say about that, replace aesthetic crusader when you do need this.
Focused Shield is a must have major for boss fights, and a must remove for trash/aoe fights.
HoJ is cool to have around too. I found this one useful for heroic saurfang. Since it allowed the blood beasts to get far enough away to not cause issues with the tanks or melee and gives your range a few more seconds of not having to kit them.
Edited by Tuesday on 11/16/2010 12:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
As of right now, for gems, stack stam in every slot. When Cata comes that may change. And yes expertise is a must.

Also make sure you are hit capped.
Edited by Sinnegorth on 11/16/2010 6:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
You NEED to be expertise capped. Period. Saying it isn't important is wrong because when a boss dodges your ShoR 2 times in a row that mage pulling 11k dps is gonna pull off you and its a wipe.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I just hit 80 on this toon, also, and I have a question. I am having *really* bad mana problems. Now, I can't figure out if I am doing something wrong, or if it's just my gear. I'm under the impression we don't really choose gear with Int, right? Just normal tanking gear? I have tried keeping my casting to a minimum, just enough to hold aggro, which is great if I run a normal. However, when I run heroics, I am running with Kingslayers and other well-geared toons and find myself spamming abilities because the group is used to going balls-to-the-wall on everything they attack.

Besides the obvious "get better gear", what can I do?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Besides the obvious "get better gear", what can I do?

You are likely using Consecration too much. The mana cost is too harsh to use on cooldown unless you have a bunch of mobs attacking you (for extra mana from avoids).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Actually, I rarely use it anymore since its duration is so short and mana cost so high. I pretty much spam CS though to make sure I have enough HP to cast WoG often. My HP is still pretty low so I tried to find a spec that would allow some self-healing so healers don't vote to kick all the time lol
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
However, when I run heroics, I am running with Kingslayers and other well-geared toons and find myself spamming abilities because the group is used to going balls-to-the-wall on everything they attack.?

Dodge and Parry will help you a lot as you can get better gear from Sanctuary. As fas as running with Kingslayers, they can probably realize that you are a new tank, and if they pull off you and wipe the group, its not your fault. Just do what you can til your gear catches up, and try your best to keep the mobs hitting you. Groups need to try to help new tanks out, and know not to go balls out trying to kill everything as quick as possible.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah you'd think that. If you look at my achieves you'll see I didn't finish UP yesterday. Why? Because a healer sat in Grauf's frost stuff, died and then %*!#!ed because I couldn't rez him between Skadi flying past. I was kicked from the group for that.

I was pleased earlier that day, though, when someone complimented me on how well I tanked for my gear level, so that was nice.

But I still am not sure what to do about my mana usage. My normal rotation often goes something like AS to pull, CS a few times for HP charges and then either SotR or WoG depending on what my health is, using AS when it's up again and repeat. If multiple targets it's more or less the same except I use HW and HotR alternating and then using SotR or WoG. Sound about right?

Just trying to see if I'm doing something wrong or if these problems I'm having are just a reflection of my gear.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
My normal rotation often goes something like AS to pull, CS a few times for HP charges and then either SotR or WoG depending on what my health is, using AS when it's up again and repeat. If multiple targets it's more or less the same except I use HW and HotR alternating and then using SotR or WoG. Sound about right?

Make sure you keep your judgement up as well. That grants 30% over 10 sec (Judgements of the Wise Passive). If you aren't judging, use that between some of your CS's, and it should help with your overall mana regen.
Edited by Fizix on 11/16/2010 12:26 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]