Prot PvP - Need some help

85 Tauren Paladin
Ok, so I just spent the last few days trying to decide what toon I will be focusing on as my PvP toon. I have decided after much debate to roll with the paladin. Why? Well because my hunter is more fun in PvE content than anything else I have, I do not enjoy healing and I would need al lnew gear to make it up for my Shaman and Druid; plus I do not enjoy the PvP aspect of a Shaman (Druid is fun as feral, but I like being a Boomkin), and finally my DK, Mage and Warlock are not level 80 yet.

So my goal is to continue on as PvP for the Paladin - pre 4.0.1 I was a Ret Paladin in PvE and some PvP, but found I enjoyed the whole shield/main-hand instead. So I rolled Prot back in 3.3.3 and found it lovely. However, with the new patch I am having trouble figuring out specs, gemming, reforging and enchanting. I just leveled up my Engineering to a respectable level (427/450) solely because of all the utility it offers in PvP (parachute, missiles, turbo, frag grenades, mind control - who wouldn't want it?!).

So, could someone experienced take a look at me and let me know all I am doing wrong? I have done most of this myself so I know it needs work (spec, gem, enchant, reforge, glyphs, etc).

Just an FYI, I remember back pre 4.0.1 Spell Pen was necessary to override MotW (at least for my hunter it was necessary as Syrvival) and I assume with most of our spells being "holy" based, is Spell Pen still necessary?
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
PUG
No spell pen needed for paladins as there is no way to resist Holy magic. I gem Strength but it is a matter of preference. If you want to sit in the middle of a BG and eat damage from 3 different players at once while spamming WoG then gem resil but I'd rather take the extra damage from strength because the 3pt-SotR crits need to count against players in Wrathful.

Prot makes people rage (allows you to win) through its insane self-healing. You want 3 points in Protector of the Innocent to maximize this. For the same reason, you also want Eternal Glory instead of Judgements of the Just which is more a PVE tank talent. I'd also suggest you don't need Hallowed Ground in pvp, drop it for Guarded by the Light which boosts WoG even more. I took Divine Guardian because it is a very strong support ability. It's up to you in terms of what you want from the Ret tree. I took the 30 yd judge because it allows me to regen mana from almost anywhere, but some might prefer the extra damage from Eye for an Eye or Crusade.

Buy your 1800 weapon asap and even though it'd be better to have a shield with +strength, the wrathful glad shield is superior to your current shield because it adds a ton of survivability and only costs 70 honor.

Enchants look ok to me. I would switch out Glyph of HoW for Glyph of Turn Evil. Warlock and DK pets are undead. You can dominate a warlock by controlling their pet. You'll dominate DKs anyway :P but fearing an Unholy DK's ghoul as he tries to set up a full cc chain on you (only way for a DK to kill you or uh make you bubble) can be crucial. I use Crusader Strike, Word of Glory, and SotR for my prime glyphs.

Keep in mind that this spec/self-healing playstyle will only be viable for less than a month. PotI was nerfed on beta and WoG scales like crap. Prot is quite OP at the moment if played well, especially 1v1, so enjoy it while it lasts. You probably won't experience the full (ridiculous) potential of prot unless you have full welfare wrathful though... Prot is all about patience and survivability.
Reply Quote
FWIW, prior to 4.01 I was able to outmelee about 90% of even the hardcore pvp'ers while in my ICC 25 PvE gear... 4.01 changed that quite a bit.

I hated my prot pally for pvp'ing... hated it.

Then I invested all of the honor I'd saved up into buying a few wrathful pieces and have been enjoying him since. (frost mages still give me fits, though). I'm a bit concerned about the nerf to POTI, though. Not because I don't think it doesn't deserve to be nerfed but because other classes have equally overpowered self heal abilities that, imho, will eclipse our self heals post nerf by a fairly large margin.

We'll see how everything pans out, though, after the nerf/buff session (seems like we've gone way too many of these over the years)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
@Averdys

TY, TY, Thank you.

That was a great post, I needed some help and you really spelled it out for me. I just checked it today for the first time, and wish I would have seen earlier as I have just found out that I can get the shield (stupid tooltips online!) which will be gotten this morning after work.

I will take into advice your comments on the spec; I knew it wasn't right, and after playing all weekend in BG's on this guy I noticed some things I needed to do, such as spec into Guarded by the Light for the awesome flash heals. I like getting down to 10k hp then critting a WoG for 10k, more would be nicer. I already am sitting at 37k hp, so the boost in stam from that shield looks good. I will also spec into PotI (what change is being made now?). Thank you also for glyph help. I have switched out my HotR for Crusader strike since I spend a major amount of time in 1v1 in BG's.

I wasn't sure about the Spell Pen, so I will drop them for Strength (got the gems, just need to get them cut).

I am currently saving honor points for the shield, the necklace, and a ring; also hoping for either the DPS or Tank ring to drop off the event bosses as well. Some of that will help in the DPS field. Currently, I am facerolling people in BG's, and I usually get a healer to follow me around and can easily own 3-4 people at once with all this AoE I have. It hurts in a nice way.

Thanks again, I appreciate the great feedback. Anyone else, feel free to comment or argue!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
So my goal is to continue on as PvP for the Paladin - pre 4.0.1 I was a Ret Paladin in PvE and some PvP, but found I enjoyed the whole shield/main-hand instead. So I rolled Prot back in 3.3.3 and found it lovely. However, with the new patch I am having trouble figuring out specs, gemming, reforging and enchanting.

I migrated my guide to this forum from the current WoW forum:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1020864251

It covers all of the above areas you asked about.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Prot PvP really doesn't work anymore since they ruined the mastery. I really only go Prot now to duel other melee classes if I actually don't want to lose.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Prot PvP really doesn't work anymore since they ruined the mastery. I really only go Prot now to duel other melee classes if I actually don't want to lose.

Mastery for Prot has very little relevance in PVP.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Mastery for Prot has very little relevance in PVP.

This
Edited by Belryn on 11/17/2010 1:54 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]