Taugrim's Prot Pally PVP Guide / Vids (Cata)

(Locked)

you finally got the sticky! well deserved. I refer to this often as I just switched my paladin from ret spec to prot to do some pvp. Much more fun i have come to realize
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/14/2011 4:01 PMPosted by Karmageddon
What will your guild look like after 4.1 with WOG on 20 second CD?

I have given my thoughts on the introduction of the 20-sec cooldown on WoG in this thread and in other places, so I won't repeat them here. Just read some of the earlier posts above this one, or refer to the Recent Patch Changes (Section 14) of the Guide.
Edited by Taugrimm on 3/18/2011 10:30 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/13/2011 9:40 PMPosted by Vortimosa
My 2's team runs what we've been called "Scum Cleave" which consists of a Blood DK and myself playing PVP Prot. Truth be told, he's much more difficult to kill than I am. The nerf directly impacts on our play style and viability in arena/battlegrounds in such a way that you could say it's not just crippling. The nerf ends the 2's team right there.

First of all, congratulations on getting to 2200 in 2v2.

AFAIK, you are the highest-rated Prot Pally in Cataclysm on any server. I was very curious about Prot Pally / Blood DK as a comp and you basically answered my question around viability - you two probably can outlast most other teams and cover for each other. While I played I was the highest-rated Prot Pally in 2v2/3v3 in my battlegroup, but I never cracked 2100. So props to you.

I do hope that Blizzard reverses the planned introduction of the WoG cooldown - IMO it's going to break things (such as Ret and Prot PVP) without really fixing any issues, and it's not a change that I've heard players advocate as making sense.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
This is my last post on these forums indefinitely as my sub runs out tomorrow.

I wish you Prots (and Rets) the best and I hope for your collective sakes that the WoG cooldown is removed so that balance is maintained.

If you are looking for help/advice on Prot PVP, you can continue to dialogue on this thread with your peers (although I won't be able to join in the discussion), or you can post on the Guide on my blog (which you can find via Google with "taugrim pally guide"), which already has about 800 comments to date.

Thanks for all your input and support!

Cheers,
Taugrim
85 Tauren Paladin
You'll be missed Taugrimm. Your videos helped me loads.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
CVC
First of all, congratulations on getting to 2200 in 2v2.

AFAIK, you are the highest-rated Prot Pally in Cataclysm on any server. I was very curious about Prot Pally / Blood DK as a comp and you basically answered my question around viability - you two probably can outlast most other teams and cover for each other. While I played I was the highest-rated Prot Pally in 2v2/3v3 in my battlegroup, but I never cracked 2100. So props to you.

Tyvm, our highest rating was 2292. We stopped playing and since then my partner Xferred for more serious PVP. We did the 2's initially as a joke to see how annoying we could be, it worked better than we thought so we went for it and did quite well. We could get 2300-2400 if I Xferred off to PVP full time with him but I'm raiding right now so doesn't seem like an option.

damn I thought I was lol and I had over 2100 rating(2159 I believe) but sadly lost it going for 2200 funnily enough tho our win/loss raito is around and always above 55% average of 60% but we seem to lose rating, my teams double prot.

AFAIK you have a rival.

Best of luck. Since I no longer play Scum Cleave I'll keep the seat warm for you in the meantime.

Thanks for all your input and support!

Cheers,
Taugrim

Best wishes Taugrimm, on whatever endeavours you have planned.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
CVC
03/25/2011 11:15 PMPosted by Elsaverchris
Best of luck. Since I no longer play Scum Cleave I'll keep the seat warm for you in the meantime.

I don't think I'll ever get their, we win more then we lose but only get around 9 to 8 rating change a win but lose 20+ rating if we lose. All teams we have gone against are round the 1900 to 2100 bracket with 1 or 2 higher. It really sucks when we get 6 or so wins an only have 2 losses an our rating goes backwards, the funny thing is the teams we lose against seem to always get 96 wierd.

The arena rating system was never kind to begin with. You win a game against a lower rated team, you win low points. If you lose though you will lose BIG points. That's just how it is sadly.

Again, best of luck I'm just messing around with people now even though I'm keen to try a serious 3's. No one wants me :(
85 Blood Elf Paladin
CVC
03/26/2011 9:00 PMPosted by Elsaverchris
3v3, yes I too would like to get in to that as well, it really sucks not having the best weapon an I can't get that in 2s. I honestly don't think I'll get a 3s team going before the patch let a lone get 2200 rating an like you said nobody wants a prot pally

I was actually meaning to be ret in 3's, I've got the gear for it easily. But I'm just not one of the 'known' ret paladins on the server, so no one wants me.

03/26/2011 9:00 PMPosted by Elsaverchris
PS. To all my fellow prot pally brothers n sisters never give up trying to have the viability of prot increase in pvp, Post, QQ, Troll whatever it takes, you could even do what some devs did and crash severs to get the point a cross ( seriously tho don't do that ).

This. :)
90 Human Paladin
Prot's looking pretty excellent for 4.1. I'll miss WoG, but being able to pick up Reckoning as well as having another means of getting holy power and sacred Duty more than makes up for it. While the change to WoG and reasoning behind it make me rage a little, I'm truly excited to play prot again.
90 Human Paladin
04/07/2011 02:24 AMPosted by Bezrue
Didn't see it noted but since you're spec includes Crusade in Ret tree, be sure to kill Spriest Apparitions for the 300% Holy Light buff.

Yea that's a really fun trick to use. I found out about when I would use the apparition while being kited or kiting to generate some easy Holy Power. Then, I realized it would proc Crusade too. Yum.
85 Human Paladin
Thanks for the guide. Hadn't pvp'd regularly since vanilla as ret. Prot pvp is fun!
80 Tauren Paladin
Prot pvp ftw
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]