Taugrim's Prot Pally PVP Guide / Vids (Cata)

(Locked)

85 Human Paladin
Check out my thread regarding Prot, and especially Prot in PvP (according to 2/15/2012 MoP talents and specialization spells):

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4062848608
Edited by Reckoner on 2/16/2012 12:43 PM PST
90 Human Paladin
No way am I going to read through this whole thread.. I've read/seen Taugrim's PVP guide, but since it's for 4.0 and not 4.3.. anyone suggest any tweaks on which are the better glyphs/gems to have?

I play more random BGs than anything rated or arena teams, if that matters.
90 Human Paladin
No way am I going to read through this whole thread.. I've read/seen Taugrim's PVP guide, but since it's for 4.0 and not 4.3.. anyone suggest any tweaks on which are the better glyphs/gems to have?

I play more random BGs than anything rated or arena teams, if that matters.

I know the reply is late, but there hasn't been much activity on this thread and people are still posting 'is Prot viable' threads below so it's worth an update.

In short, 4.3 prot is dead.

Between the WOG nerf, Veng Nerf and no attention at all to a (much needed) gap closer, decent DPS burst and proper heals, Prot pallies are dead and buried as far as PVP goes.

If you primarily roll with the BG scene for lulz, then it's largely irrelevent and not much has changed. Take full ret gear, a PVP Prot spec, Gem strength, strength and more strength and just go be a nuisance. You won't kill much, you'll take a slightly longer time to die and the experience will still be 'meh, whatever'

Prot CAN 'technically' carry flags in BGs and protect nodes, but other classes and specs can do it oh so much better. We can 'sort of' do most of those things a Warrior or DK (or even a Druid bear) can do, but in no situation are we the 'best' option.

In arena we're lolprot - period
. Our burst DPS is average at best, we can be CCd easily and we are little threat to enemy healers. Our 'control' is limited at the best of times, but in arena we fill no niche at all - can't really heal worth a damn, can't do good, bursty DPS and we can be kited like no other class in the game.

In all respects of the PVP side of the game, Prot Pallies are an utter embarrassment when it comes to arena now. I only do it 'for points' and pray every round gives me a double DPS team to face or peeps in PvE gear. Else it's a total waste of time.

As for the RBG scene, again we reiterate that our bad self heals, bad mobility and bad burst DPS make us not really worth a slot in any 10 man side.

If you want a flag runner a warrior, DK or druid are better. Even a Holy pally has better survivability.

If you want a node protector, then a Holy craps all over a Prot. Can outheal 1 v 1 easily and all you need to do is interrupt a flag capper until help arrives. Prot is useless for node protection against a Holy Pally.

MOP Prot is looking more defensive again with even less burst. Our output for DPS looks to be almost dead in respect to PVP with our shield slam less fearsome than a tickle me elmo on crack and our 'big hitting' abilities more related to defensive cooldowns.

WOG is being taken off the GC which is another point towards survivability as we are also getting a mobility upgrade as well.

I see Prot Pallies in MOP *PERHAPS* being more viable in the BG scene as flag carriers and maybe node protectors, but in Arena I think the Prot Pally in MOP will be pretty much extinct except below 1500 brackets.

Probably working as intended, but as someone who's played prot for PvE and PvP since BC all I can say is that it's very sad to see the 'sword n board' warrior style gameplay go the way of the dodo.

There will be no 'This is SPARTA!' 300 style sword n board epic moments looking ahead - it'll be pretty much cower behind your bubbles and shields until the 'real' help arrives.

But we'll have to wait and see.

Edit - Bolds for the TL;DR fans.
Edited by Mogràm on 5/29/2012 8:06 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
03/12/2012 12:45 AMPosted by Lienthul
Mhmm, mhmm, yup, i see.. so hows your prot PvP going post nerf? Its probly all awesome and stuff cuz UR so good, and didnt need that vengeance healing mechanic. I'm sure the plate and the 175k HP is more than enough to totally keep you viable, no?

It's going pretty well.

Prot PVP is dead to people who needed the vengence buff to kill other players.
90 Human Paladin

It's going pretty well.

Prot PVP is dead to people who needed the vengence buff to kill other players.

And yet, you've migrated over to Ret, like the rest of us. :P

5.0+ Ret looks much better and addresses a lot of the big issues ret have now in PvP. It genuinely looks like a contender for top spots and combined with the very lacklustre adjustments to prot coming for PvP, I think it's pretty much a no brainer now.

I think it's fair to say Prot is now dead and buried and MoP definitely doesn't look like there will be any form of real resurrection for PvP either (unless you just enjoy being beat upon).

RIP Sword n Board indeed, Elsaverchris.
Edited by Mogràm on 7/26/2012 10:28 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've been a hardcore Ret Palli for as long as there have been Blood Elves. (Mostly because I wanted a BE Warrior but that wasn't an option back in BC.) And I've enjoyed it for as long. Enough that when BE Warriors became an option, I shrugged and stuck with my Ret Palli.

I recently decided that I want to try a new flavor of pvp so I gave Prot a spin... The result saddened me. I don't understand why tanks can't tank in pvp. I think it would add a very interesting dimension to the game.
Tanks were crucial to pvp in Warhammer Online. (If you followed it, you know that 90% of the improvements WoW has made over the past 4-5 years were stolen from that game) And here's how they did it:
1) There was collision in pvp. No running through enemies. Therefore, tanks could physically get in the way. Most of them had knockback abilities as well.
2) They had defensive buffs that projected to friendly players standing behind them. This way they were always at the front, and depending on their facing, they could provide tide-turning bonuses the allies. (I remember as ally melee dps would trickle past, I'd turn my back to their fighting so they could get the bonuses.)
3) They didn't dps much, but they were incredibly disruptive. Their Taunt worked as an interrupt when used in pvp. They had more stuns and silences, than other classes, along with resistances to cc.

They HAD to be dealt with. I guess I'll be using Holy in pvp and tanking in pve... I'm just tired of Ret and the way it feels like it WANTS to be powerful, like the DK and Warrior, but never quite is.
85 Draenei Paladin
I like this guide. Very useful. Thank you for your post. Also Dekkar. The strategy you posted is exactley what I do. I love controling the ground and taking on the whole team.. Its great..
90 Human Paladin
WoG only has a 1.5 sec CD. I think it is safe to say Prot PVP is back =D
Edited by Eliteninja on 9/21/2012 3:29 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]