Druid aoe threat

85 Tauren Druid
Im curious what other tanks think about bear aoe threat. I'm in a 25 hm guild where the dps can reach high numbers. I dont understand why swipe, basically my only aoe ability, is on a six second cooldown. Mostly its annoying when im Offtanking adds that quick spawn from portals or simular situations and my aoe is on cooldown.

Suggestions or comments?
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
It's balanced around having thrash too (level 81)

The streaming adds situation is annoying. Here is how I try to deal with it in a raid (eg heroic gunship)

1. Tell the DPS to keep it in their pants
2. Ask for misdirect as new adds are coming in.
3. Do not swipe early
4. Melee/mangle the first guy out
5. Lacerate the second guy out
6. maul + lacerate the 3rd mob
7. If you have them under control still single target hit the 4th guy too and hold swipe till the 5th is out. If your starting to lost any of them swipe here.
8. Chain your swipes on CD mixed with mangle lacerates and mauls. Be sure to use your free mangle procs.
9 As your tabbing around stop on any mobs that the dps are creping up on your threat for a extra hit.

At level 81 it will get easier as we will have a second AOE for "The Mythical Streaming Adds" (™ Ghost crawler)
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Well I have found aoe tanking on my druid to be somewhat tiresome now, it simply requires more active work. Swipes damage was increased dramatically to compensate for the cooldown so its essentially doing the same amount of threat, its just less reliable at any given second. Now you just need to keep tab targeting and lacerate, the threat is heavily invested on the initial attack now, and the dot helps continue to generate threat while your attacking others. Naturally glyphed maul is still very nice, but I find rage to be more of an issue now, although that might be because I outgear heroics.

Thrash should help with aoe threat in cata, but by then mass aoe tanking will be a thing of the past (until you out gear the instance anyway).
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
If you are pulling trash quickly enough, casting Thorns with vengeance still stacked is highly effective threat glue.

On my alt ICC run last night I was seeing Thorns hitting for upwards of 3.5k (in fairly terrible gear).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Thorns is nice, but you have to remember we need to shift out for it. Therefore, we either have to blow our enrage or go in with our 10 rage from furor (not enough to swipe).

On the topic of AoE tanking, I like it much more now that we actually have to time our swipes properly. The tab mangle/lacerate feels a lot more BC-like. Good change imo.

I've also hardly seriously raided since Ulduar/early ToC, so I don't know how well this works out in an ICC hard mode environment.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Im curious what other tanks think about bear aoe threat. I'm in a 25 hm guild where the dps can reach high numbers. I dont understand why swipe, basically my only aoe ability, is on a six second cooldown. Mostly its annoying when im Offtanking adds that quick spawn from portals or simular situations and my aoe is on cooldown.

Suggestions or comments?

Welcome to my world. You are just 4 years late.

Now, my Thunder Clap is worst than your swipe and it probably always will be so be happy IMO.
Edited by Thorgalls on 11/16/2010 10:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
Welcome to my world. You are just 4 years late.

Now, my Thunder Clap is worst than your swipe and it probably always will be so be happy IMO.

Druids have Cleave and Shockwave now too?!? OP hax bull**** and I demand immediate nerfs.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Druids are missing an AoE ability. Just like Paladins are missing a defensive cooldown.
Reply Quote
i usually dont have a problem with threat in many encounters...no matter how many mobs are involved. on the trash pulls just before sindragosa i might lose 1, or 2 of the small whelps per side...which isnt that bad. one of them gets taunted back, the other usually dead before it gets to where its headed... thats a pretty good measure of generating AOE threat...

the problem right now that run into more often than not is that the changes that came with 4.x have just really unbalanced things to a point that they are kind of ridiculous... mages are pulling upwards of 40k tps if they really try...when i lose one of those small whelps, its to the same kind of thing. someone that can do massive burst damage to a single target is doing just that... or someone with a lot of AOE dps is just going at it hard before the whelps are on me and glued.

i have wondered a lot what i can do to rectify those things, but if the claim for cataclysm is to push back into harder raiding than we have had in recent times, then dps is just going to have to learn to keep it in their pants until its safe to whip it out and go crazy.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Some insightful posts here thank you
Reply Quote
75 Undead Warrior
If you are pulling trash quickly enough, casting Thorns with vengeance still stacked is highly effective threat glue.

On my alt ICC run last night I was seeing Thorns hitting for upwards of 3.5k (in fairly terrible gear).

Quick problem jumping out of bear to cast thorn's tend's to equel u going splat really really really fast.
Reply Quote
I tank with a Druid and he has the same problem warriors do, dps needs to wait a few seconds before opening up. Don't know if pallys or DK's have this problem but for their sake I hope not.

Paladins also need a GCD or two before the DPS go to work. Frost DKs and Fury Warriors, I'm looking at you.
Reply Quote
also, one of the big problems i have with my druid tank right now is thorns... why do i need to be yanked out of bear form just to cast thorns on myself? that has to be one the most annoying things for me right now. i hardly use thorns because of it...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
my thoughts are they screwed up with these changes. they should have made all tanking abilities available by level 60. starting with BC is the content where you need a "tank" to do it. old world content is so out dated that everyone simply overpowers it, and many tanks "tank" in dps gear or specs or both.

this is the downside to "learn once, auto upgrade". I think that was a bad idea. I think we should have to revisit trainers to learn newer versions of the same skills so that those skills can be passed out at the appropriate levels when they are useful.

im sick of the whole game being balanced around only the end game.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I'd have liked to have had thrash be a level 80 ability. Do we need it? No. Would it have been nice to have another ae ability to finish out the wrath expansion with? Yes. /shrug
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]