Why do Ret Paladins have the longest ramp up?

90 Human Warlock
Longest ramp up time in the game? Sorry, I almost fell over laughing. Btw, I play affliction as my main spec. Play an aff lock then cry to me about ramp up time.

It only took me ~3.5 seconds to get every debuff up when I played a UA lock on the TR without any external buffs, how does that compare to my 17.7 second ramp up?

Ummmm. no. Just to get SE up takes 6.13 seconds, no dots just SE (assuming you have bane because you should). That also doesn't include CoE

.... that also dosen't include the fact that because BOA is rear loaded we don't reach our average DPS until 24 seconds after that is cast.

I have a Pally as well both have ramp up, but affliction is hellish and has to start all over for
any new target and long arm of the law and pursuit of justice helps on movement. Frankly both need work.
Edited by Cryptwind on 11/13/2010 7:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Longest ramp up time in the game? Sorry, I almost fell over laughing. Btw, I play affliction as my main spec. Play an aff lock then cry to me about ramp up time.

It takes at least 18 seconds to apply all 5 stacks of the Censure debuff from the Truth seal. This also assumes that the seal isn't resisted, doesn't miss, isn't parried, isn't dodged, and (if you're using a shield) blocked.

I could be wrong on the resisted part now since its a physical debuff from what I've been reading but it could be resisted before the patch when it was dispellable. The debuff also requires that the paladin be in melee range the whole time swinging, adding more time to the stacking process based on things interupting the meleeing.

I don't think it takes that much ramp up for an affliction warlock when they can stand in one place and cast their debuffs, some which are even instant cast.

Edit - Most paladins I assume are talking about just -Applying- their debuffs. You on the other hand are talking about maximizing your dps which requires you wait for your damage to do more towards the end of its uptime (your rear ended DoTs). It won't take most warlocks that long to apply their debuffs to start the cycle compared to a paladin.
Edited by Sylvaria on 11/13/2010 7:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
34 Gnome Rogue
I like how the ramp up time changed 5 times in this thread.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I like how the ramp up time changed 5 times in this thread.

Mine is based off having no haste. With haste you could lower that a second or two I believe to 16 seconds roughly?
Reply Quote
34 Gnome Rogue
Oh I see, OP was misleading when he referred to TV as ret's ramp up.

Anyway, Unholy has a 30 second ghoul damage ramp up so this whole thread is silly.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Sigh. The point being, A lock or DK can set up their damage, and basicly be ready to do full damage within about 10 seconds. Their other attacks are not weaker because they have to wait for a curse to reach full damage, or because the ghoul isn't on target yet.

With ret, thats not the case. We need 5 stacks of truth before we can get the extra weapon damage that makes us competitive DPS. To make things worse, we cant just choose to apply truth and be done with it. We have to wait for our slow weapon swings to stack up, because using a 1-hander to stack them faster is a DPS loss. To make things EVEN WORSE THAN THAT, we dont get to apply truth on our melee strikes or finishers, like rogue poisons are able to. On top of waiting for truth, we also have to wait on inquisition as well. Sometimes you will get lucky and DP will let you get rolling quickly. All too often, you have to wait for CS to cool down twice before you can get it rolling, then work on building up HP again to make your first templar's verdict. Zealotry would be great for this....if it didn't need 3 holy power to activate. Oh, and we need to be in melee to make all this happen. Just because.

So in response to your pointless competitiveness over who takes longer, we do. Ret still has the longest ramp up time of any spec I have seen. It also has one of the harshest (if not THE harshest) ramp up, with a huge difference in damage between start and finish, just so we can stay on par with other DPS. And what does it matter anyways? It sucks for ret. It sucks just as bad for affliction, BM hunters, and enhance shammies.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Rogue
OP; Ret doesn't have the longest ramp up. Combat Rogues do. Just sayin'.
Reply Quote
34 Gnome Rogue
Sigh. The point being, A lock or DK can set up their damage, and basicly be ready to do full damage within about 10 seconds. Their other attacks are not weaker because they have to wait for a curse to reach full damage, or because the ghoul isn't on target yet.

So now we're splitting the definition even farther.

I like how 10% extra damage on each strike is important, but the damage from a ghoul being increased by 50% is dismissable. You're not talking about overall DPS ramp up (which would be a valid comparison) you're specifying strike damage bonuses just so you can make your situation seem worse.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
i'm swiftly coming to the conclusion that most of my paladin peers just like to complain and will be dissatisfied with everything that happens. it is no wonder that the devs largely ignore our issues when this is how the community conducts itself. unless you can supply concrete evidence of our inferiority the devs literally have nothing to go on but here-say, and that is no basis for game design decisions.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
[quote]
So now we're splitting the definition even farther.

I like how 10% extra damage on each strike is important, but the damage from a ghoul being increased by 50% is dismissable. You're not talking about overall DPS ramp up (which would be a valid comparison) you're specifying strike damage bonuses just so you can make your situation seem worse.

No, the definition is largely the same. From a lock or DK's start point to not having to do anything else but maintain the rotation for full damage is about 6-10 seconds. For ret it is a minimum of around 12.5 with haste. A maximum of 16.5 in the worst case scenario.

Your comparing a ghoul ramp up to the ramp up of an entire class, so yes it is dismissible. I clearly outlined the whole DPS ramp up problem. And your not even trying to address the actual topic of the thread. Your just trying to rile people and spread vitriol. Go elsewhere, troll.
Reply Quote
34 Gnome Rogue

No, the definition is largely the same. From a lock or DK's start point to not having to do anything else but maintain the rotation for
full damage
is about 6-10 seconds. For ret it is a minimum of around 12.5 with haste. A maximum of 16.5 in the worst case scenario.

Your comparing a ghoul ramp up to the ramp up of an entire class, so yes it is dismissible. I clearly outlined the whole DPS ramp up problem. And your not even trying to address the actual topic of the thread. Your just trying to rile people and spread vitriol. Go elsewhere, troll.

Are you one of the players that filters pet damage separate from the player? How exactly is a pet not part of a spec's damage? It's there, it's doing damage.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Shaman
I just think ramping up damage is not a fun mechanic and all classes should be cleansed of it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]