Resto Shaman question

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have been testing out a shaman on the PTR as I'm thinking of rolling one in Cata. Its pretty fun, but I was wondering what you do in an "Oh Sh--" situation?

I'm used to having 2-3min CDs to blow like Wings, Divine Favor, and Aura Mastery on this toon, and Guardian Spirit, Pain Suppression, ect. on my Priest.

Nature's Swiftness is good for one big spell, Riptide+Chain Heal is a boost, and the new Focused Insight is a nice bonus, but when things hit the fan, I've just been having to spam like crazy and then drop Mana Tide to regain some of the mana from spamming like crazy.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Reply Quote
You need to race change to Troll for any actual healing cool-downs as a Shaman. It's only one more, but one is more than nothing right?
Reply Quote
80 Troll Priest
Shaman have very weak "Oh sh--" abilities.

They really should make Nature's Swiftness empower your next heal (similar to how chakra does) in addition to making it instant so that it can compete with spells like Guardian Angel, Lay on Hands, Pain Suppression, Power Word: Barrier, etc...

Example:
Nature's Swiftness renamed Spirit's Swiftness.

Spirit's Swiftness makes your next spell instant, and empowers the spell if it is a healing spell.

If the spell is Healing Wave then it causes all healing spells to cost 50% less mana for 10 seconds.

If the spell is Healing Surge then it causes the target to receive an additional 15% healing from all sources for 10 seconds.

If the spell is Chain Heal then it affects up to 8 targets and only loses 10% effectiveness per jump.

If the spell is Greater Healing Wave then it benefits from +35% chance to crit and +35% healing.

If the spell is Healing Rain then all allies in the radius of the spell suffer 15% reduced damage from all sources.

It would be nice to have a competitive "oh sh--" ability. Until they get one they're sub-par to other healers in at least one (major) way.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
Not to put down what you said but doesn't Riptide already grant those bonuses for up to 2 spells afterwards. I know it cuts the casting time of both Greater Healing Wave and Healing Wave. And not to mention if you are Haste Capped then your spells are already being cast fast enough that those "oh Sh-" moments aren't as bad as they could possibly be.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

Nope! Shaman have no safety net. Nature's Swiftness is it. When ___ hits the fan, wind up those Surges and pray.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman

Nature's Swiftness is good for one big spell

Good? lol... It isn't even good now when GHW is cheap and heals for a fair amount of someone's health pool. In Cata it costs 6x as much mana and heals for even less of someone's health pool. It is a terrible cooldown.

Riptide+Chain Heal is a boost

It really isn't. It isn't dependable and you have to use up healing to do additional healing.

and the new Focused Insight is a nice bonus

And this is definitely not good. To do 30% more healing you have to use a GCD which could have been used towards a real heal, meaning you would almost always loose healing by shocking, unless you were moving and couldn't otherwise heal. But it's so situational that it's really a waste of 3 talent points.

but when things hit the fan, I've just been having to spam like crazy and then drop Mana Tide to regain some of the mana from spamming like crazy.

Maybe. What spells were you spamming?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
/spam healing surge
/pray tank doesnt die
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Bloodlust!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
As we level in Cataclysm we get 'Unleash Elements' too. I'm not sure if it will prove useful or not, but if it does, it could count as a short cooldown.

Unleash Elements
Instant cast
40 yd range
7% of base mana
Focuses the elemental force imbued in the Shaman's weaponry, with the concentrated effects depending on the enchantment unleashed.

For a healer, that means:

[Earthliving Weapon] – Heals the target slightly and buffs the shaman's next healing spell by 20%.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
As we level in Cataclysm we get 'Unleash Elements' too. I'm not sure if it will prove useful or not, but if it does, it could count as a short cooldown.

Unleash Elements
Instant cast
40 yd range
7% of base mana
Focuses the elemental force imbued in the Shaman's weaponry, with the concentrated effects depending on the enchantment unleashed.

For a healer, that means:

[Earthliving Weapon] – Heals the target slightly and buffs the shaman's next healing spell by 20%.

But just like the shock talent it actually uses a GCD and it isn't something you would ever use if you needed something right then and there. We have the ability to set up some decent healing, but nothing that'll get us out of trouble aside from wasting all our mana.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
If anyone goes down 10% instantly, I have a macro for Nature's Swiftness + GWH. If it's on CD, quickly riptide -> HS (x2) -> chainheal -> HS (x2), repeat.
Edited by Actua on 11/11/2010 12:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks, everyone who replied. A lot of good info.

From what I'm reading, I think I'm not utilizing Tidal Waves enough.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
FH
I wish the above responses were more than simply sarcasm, but everyone is quite right.

Shaman have nothing akin to Tranquility, Divine Hymn, Divine Sacrifice, Pain Sup, Guardian Spirit, Wings, Tree of Life, or Aura Mastery. Tidal Waves is an important buff to keep active because of its solid boost to throughput but its uptime is more a distinction between an average shaman and a good one, not between baseline healing and a panic state. If your party's HP starts to slip, you simply switch to a higher HPS/HPM "rotation" and hope that RNG is on your side.

That being said, the best way to handle those panic moments is to make sure you don't find yourself in them in the first place. Proactive healing is a shaman's best tool. (That and making sure your shields--water and earth--are always active.)

(And just to be clear, Focused Insight provides no boost to HPS. It's only a mana-cost reduction. Unleash Elements will be the other instant-cast HPS boost.)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
honestly i heal 25 icc an 10 icc herioc an reg i have no issiue healing riptide chain heall bloodlust if needed an lighting bolt lots to keep mana up other than that if your gemmed an capped healing should be no real issiue if you find your self the only one up with just the tanks heal your butt off u die rez an hope that the tanks can hold for 30 sec but that rarely happens just have fun
Reply Quote
80 Troll Priest
(And just to be clear, Focused Insight provides no boost to HPS. It's only a mana-cost reduction. Unleash Elements will be the other instant-cast HPS boost.)

How much will Unleash Elements heal for? Burning a GCD it might be a HPS decrease, not boost.

Seriously though, Shaman really need an emergency ability that is competitive. The obvious choice would be to boost their existing one (nature's swiftness) in some way.
Reply Quote
14 Dwarf Hunter
i would love something that deals with Earth Shield. similar to Pain Sup - maybe we consume the remaining charges and they get X% reduced damage for 12 seconds or something. or we can "charge" earth shield to make healing on the target with earth shield act differently - Chain heal doesn't reduce as much, mana costs reduced, instant heals, something.

oh, and throw druids a bone and make Barkskin castable on others. then all the healers have some kind of external damage reducing cooldown =)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
First of all I am a shaman on the beta, so I'd like to say a few things.

This is wrong. Focused Insight does provide an HPS boost to spells and was useful to use before casting healing rain before the healing rain huge nerf of doom. Now a days I just don't think this talent is worth it.

How much will Unleash Elements heal for? Burning a GCD it might be a HPS decrease, not boost.

Seriously though, Shaman really need an emergency ability that is competitive. The obvious choice would be to boost their existing one (nature's swiftness) in some way.

Unleash Elements heals for like... 2-3k. Most cases I just overlook it unless a big hit is coming, then it's ok unleash elements, greater healing wave, just to get a little more.

We do need a cooldown like the other healing classes have, something for an oh #%%@, situation but currently we lack that. :/ we aren't very likely to get it either.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
honestly i heal 25 icc an 10 icc herioc an reg i have no issiue healing riptide chain heall bloodlust if needed an lighting bolt lots to keep mana up other than that if your gemmed an capped healing should be no real issiue if you find your self the only one up with just the tanks heal your butt off u die rez an hope that the tanks can hold for 30 sec but that rarely happens just have fun

No one is talking about healing right now...
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I have nature's swiftness macro'd with my greater healing wave for a big instant oh crap button. Earth shield holds them a bit, but if Nswiftness is on cd (rarely the case tho)- I riptide (pray it's not in it's cd either hehe), then healing surge - which can crit for nice amounts.

Edited by Nepthyss on 11/16/2010 7:01 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]