Divine Guardian = New PW: Barrier?

- World of Warcraft
85 Tauren Paladin
While reading the new beta notes, I've noticed that PW:Barrier is exactly what we had for DShield+DGuardian

Except They now get it on a shorter cooldown, and it's much cooler.

Just curious on other people's thoughts on this.
Edited by Practical on 11/11/2010 9:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Positional requirement trade-off.

Thematically fits the spec.

CD is long enough that fight balance won't really be a factor.

i.e. w/e.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
The big difference is that is it positional, the damage reduction only applies to those within the barrier. Have you seen how small that barrier is? Probably not because on live when someone pops one it is gone in 1 second lol.

It is comparable to Divine Guardian, but again, not as powerful due to the range and position limitation. Probably why it has a slightly longer duration. I'd support a debuff that prohibits stacking of disc priests just to abuse Barrier. You know some guilds are going to try it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
While reading the new beta notes, I've noticed that PW:Barrier is exactly what we had for DShield+DSacrifice.
Except They now get it on a shorter cooldown, and it's much cooler.
Just curious on other people's thoughts on this.

Shorter CD but much shorter range as well, and not linked to the player 40yards but under the direct control of raiders to stay in the 'bubble' or not. So its not really overpowered or unbalanced. And no cap unlike the old PWB.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
CD is long enough that fight balance won't really be a factor.

It's 10% more damage reduction and lasts 4 seconds longer than DG and while having the same cooldown.

Shorter CD but much shorter range as well, and not linked to the player 40yards

DG was 30 yards. Not 40.

PW:B is a gimmick that is going to force the hand of encounter design. The developers said the same about the substantially weaker Divine Guardian.
Edited by Lebeau on 11/11/2010 9:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Nice comparison but a lot of abilities are similar or being homogenized in Cataclysm. Like the all in 1 button to dispel magic/disease/poison that Holy Paladins get or Restoration Shaman/Resto Druids get something similar that dispels 3 effects.

But yes Power Word: Barrier is not even worth speccing into for PvE after the Absorb nerf it's exactly the same as Divine Guardian without the positional requirement.
Reply Quote
You have Divine Aegis in a better form as your mastery. Don't talk to me about stealing stuff >.>

/bitter
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
11/11/2010 9:18 PMPosted by Lebeau

PW:B is a gimmick that is going to force the hand of encounter design. The developers said the same about the substantially weaker Divine Guardian.

You seem to be forgetting the biggest restriction of PW:B and that is the requirement to be stacked within the bubble. So many fight mechanics require you to spread out that this additional positional requirement is an important one. Lets all stack under the shield to get chain lightning'd, or to have the boss put a void zone under there. Sorry, the abilities are just not the same.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
12/06/2010 2:00 PMPosted by Sacredscythe
But yes Power Word: Barrier is not even worth speccing into for PvE after the Absorb nerf it's exactly the same as Divine Guardian without the positional requirement.

I think PW:B is still absolutely worth 1 talent point. Even if one doesn't want to get creative with its usage, it's another tank cooldown that can potentially affect other people, and is on a shorter cooldown than Pain Suppression.

But, speaking practically, you'll be hard-pressed to come up with a Discipline build that doesn't include Power Word: Barrier. =)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]