Non Tanks queuing as Tanks..

90 Dwarf Priest
i was having this problem when i was doing BC instances. The higher levels ones, Magisters Terrace, shadow labs, are actually quite a challenge. take time and care and CC to be successful. i find it great to get these ones in the random queue, i like the challenge. but then your tank turns out to be a two handing ret pally. it doesnt go so well, all you can do is wait till you can vote kick.
Reply Quote
26 Gnome Mage
I Fury dps tank every heroic except H HOR...only heroic i can't do.

And there is no way you can pull aggro off me ..i don't care how many mobs there are.

I will also walk away with 60-70% of all damage done.

It's great that you can do that, and I'm sure it makes your ego that much bigger and improves your self esteem. But the fact is, that you are not spec'd as a tank nor geared as a tank and you are taking the spot of someone that is properly geared and spec'd to fill that roll as a tank just so you don't have to wait to get in queue.

That is my issue. And most of them can't hold aggro. And then the new players doing this throughout the entire leveling process get to the higher level instances and heroics and start wiping groups and becoming an issue instead.

My point is if as a mage I can't queue as a tank then there is a way that blizzard can make it so that certain classes if no points are in that classes Tanking Tree that they are unable to select the roll of Tank. It's possible to be done the question is will they do it?
Reply Quote
26 Gnome Mage
Okay, if non-tank tanks can que as a tank, then why cant I que as a tank? My pet tanks better than most tanks I find in randoms anyways.

It's because it just happens that they "Could" tank if they had the talents and gear.. So automatically they are able to choose the option which is the problem.

Only way to fix it is to only allow them to pick that roll if they have chosen that specialization.

Edit: This same issue can be thrown at the hybrid/healers too.
Edited by Kitally on 11/11/2010 9:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
I can generate more aggro, including multi-target, as Fury than as Prot.

I have 38K unbuffed Health.

If the Healer feels like having a good time, the rest of the DPS can just hang on for dear life and enjoy the ride.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
But the fact is, that you are not spec'd as a tank nor geared as a tank and you are taking the spot of someone that is properly geared and spec'd to fill that roll as a tank just so you don't have to wait to get in queue.

You most certainly aren't taking any tank's spot, if anything you are making everyone's queue time shorter by increasing the amount of available tanks, the limiting reagent for a dungeon group.

One of my guildies hit 80 the other day, so myself and one of our guild tanks ran him through some heroics. Our warrior decided he'd rather run in his fury spec and gear. I had to actually heal him rather than just dpsing with exorcism/holy shock the whole time, but I imagine his 9k overall dps with 61% of the damage done was probably better than my holy dps anyway.

I'm not sure how any fury warrior could have problems holding threat if they just go into defensive stance...
Reply Quote
26 Gnome Mage
Maybe Blizzard needs to put the Def cap back in then.. or take out the entire roll system since you guys think that tanking in dps form is how the game is to be played.
Reply Quote
26 Gnome Mage
I can generate more aggro, including multi-target, as Fury than as Prot.

I have 38K unbuffed Health.

If the Healer feels like having a good time, the rest of the DPS can just hang on for dear life and enjoy the ride.

I highly doubt that.. if that were true then Blizzard would have done something to tweak the game to prevent this, otherwise there is no point to have a Prot tree at all for warriors..

And all your posts are nothing but "My threat is better than or My dps is higher than" epeen posts.. so pretty much you are one of the players my post is about.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Maybe Blizzard needs to put the Def cap back in then.. or take out the entire roll system since you guys think that tanking in dps form is how the game is to be played.

If you aren't tank specced, you can be crit, but when you are running dungeons in average 264 gear that were meant to be run in average 187 gear, you out gear the content by 6 tiers... it's not surprising at all that dps with nearly double the hp, and roughly 8 times the dps of entry level tanks can tank the instances...

No one here is suggesting that dps should tank gear appropriate content.
Reply Quote
26 Gnome Mage

This is getting off topic really, it's about non tanks queuing as a tank roll when they clearly are not spec'd or geared for that roll..

It's obvious that someone that out gears any place can pretty much tank, I"m talking about Randoms before level 80 obviously.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

This is getting off topic really, it's about non tanks queuing as a tank roll when they clearly are not spec'd or geared for that roll..

It's obvious that someone that out gears any place can pretty much tank, I"m talking about Randoms before level 80 obviously.

Oh sorry, I missed that you were talking about pre 80, in which case, it's still fine all the way up until outlands where you really need to be tank specced to survive. I leveled my paladin pre 60 as ret and tanked everything just fine without healer complaints. If you get a plate dps that can't tank pre 60, they probably couldn't tank as a tank either.
Reply Quote
26 Gnome Mage
it's still fine all the way up until outlands where you really need to be tank specced to survive.

This is what I'm talking about though, new players are not learning to play as a tank but as a dps tanking. Then they get to Outlands or higher and expect to tank anything as a dps and continue to wipe groups and cause issues in instances because people just said "Hey it's ok he is fine."

Then that player wasted all his time tanking as a dps thinking it was "OK" to do and now he has no Idea how to really tank or what to spec or how to gear.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
it's still fine all the way up until outlands where you really need to be tank specced to survive.

This is what I'm talking about though, new players are not learning to play as a tank but as a dps tanking. Then they get to Outlands or higher and expect to tank anything as a dps and continue to wipe groups and cause issues in instances because people just said "Hey it's ok he is fine."

Then that player wasted all his time tanking as a dps thinking it was "OK" to do and now he has no Idea how to really tank or what to spec or how to gear.

I see people talking about all these dps tanks they get all the time, but after level 3 toons through LFD, and gearing them up at 80, I've rarely seen a dps tank from 60-80 (aside from my fury guildies out gearing heroics for kicks), except for death knights, but I've honestly just seen more down right terrible dk tanks than dps dk tanks.
Reply Quote
26 Gnome Mage

I see people talking about all these dps tanks they get all the time, but after level 3 toons through LFD, and gearing them up at 80, I've rarely seen a dps tank from 60-80 (aside from my fury guildies out gearing heroics for kicks), except for death knights, but I've honestly just seen more down right terrible dk tanks than dps dk tanks.

Well I'll just try the ignore feature then because I've had a Fury warrior/kitty druid/ret pally 4 out of the 5 last randoms.
I never knew about the ignore feature I will just have to use it and see how it goes.
Reply Quote
26 Gnome Mage
They could easily change the LFD system to only allow people to select the role of their current active spec.

Yea that's what I suggested before, it's just the point of will they implement it or not.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
I'd like to see if five 277 geared clothies could do all the 5 man Northrend heroics. I bet they could. If you kill a boss fast enough, its damage output is irrelevant. 5 shadowpriests pumping 12k+ each, and all healing with Vamp embrace could probably do the whole heroic 5-man gambit.
Reply Quote
87 Human Warrior
No, actually that wasn't obvious at all.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I agree with you, OP. I'd like to see people only allowed to join queue as their active spec. Honestly, with the clear descriptions of the talent trees and what they're for and the role selection, I wouldn't be surprised if Blizz is working on something like that now. On my healer toons, I love getting DPS who queue as tank, I know it after the first pull because they practically get two shot most of the time, and then I sit down and watch them get roflstomped the next pull. Needless to say, they don't get a rez, either.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]