Zelfrax of Witch Hill

100 Human Paladin
A quest in Dustwallow Marsh sends you to Swamplight Manor, where the current owner has been driven mad and the previous owners have disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

It's revealed that everyone who ever lived on the land was corrupted by some evil force. When their undead forms are defeated, their spirits relate the following:

It was... terrible... the demon...
The darkness... the corruption... they came too quickly for anyone to know...
The darkness will consume all... all the living...
It is too late for us, living one. Take yourself and your friend away from here before you both are... claimed...
It is too late for Jarl... its hold is too strong...
Go away, whoever you are! Witch Hill is mine... mine!

The demon they spoke of is a creature named Zelfrax. It uses the model of a gargoyle, and is the only demon to do so (all other gargoyles have the undead type). When it appears, it says:

"This land was mine long before your wretched kind set foot here. All who venture here belong to me, including you!"

I was wondering what sort of creature this might be, but I couldn't find any additional information on it. One person was speculating about it on its Wowpedia talk page:

This NPC bugs me; not in the sense that I don't like it, but I get the feeling there is more going on here than we know. Where else do we see a "gargoyle demon"? This combination of model and race seems to me more a kludge used to stand in for some other idea that we shouldn't take at face value.

The way I see it, it means two things:
1) It's some kind of reference that has, so far, flown over our heads
2) It's a standin for some other kind of creature that appears so infrequently that it doesn't have its own race type set.

Personally, I think Zelfrax is some kind of minor troll loa. Look at what it says: "This land was mine long before your wretched kind set foot here. All who venture here belong to me, including you!" That could basically be a line out of the Gods of Zul'Aman trailer. As well, we have to look at this "demon's" powers; they're fairly nonstandard, focusing on possession, animating dead spirits, and madness. We don't see a lot of Burning Legion demons which do that. Food for thought, and it will probably be meaningless when Cata hits, but oh well.

What do you think it is? A Burning Legion demon? An independent demon? A troll loa? A reference to some other story? Something else?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
A quest in Dustwallow Marsh sends you to Swamplight Manor, where the current owner has been driven mad and the previous owners have disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

It's revealed that everyone who ever lived on the land was corrupted by some evil force. When their undead forms are defeated, their spirits relate the following:

It was... terrible... the demon...
The darkness... the corruption... they came too quickly for anyone to know...
The darkness will consume all... all the living...
It is too late for us, living one. Take yourself and your friend away from here before you both are... claimed...
It is too late for Jarl... its hold is too strong...
Go away, whoever you are! Witch Hill is mine... mine!

The demon they spoke of is a creature named Zelfrax. It uses the model of a gargoyle, and is the only demon to do so (all other gargoyles have the undead type). When it appears, it says:

"This land was mine long before your wretched kind set foot here. All who venture here belong to me, including you!"

I was wondering what sort of creature this might be, but I couldn't find any additional information on it. One person was speculating about it on its Wowpedia talk page:

This NPC bugs me; not in the sense that I don't like it, but I get the feeling there is more going on here than we know. Where else do we see a "gargoyle demon"? This combination of model and race seems to me more a kludge used to stand in for some other idea that we shouldn't take at face value.

The way I see it, it means two things:
1) It's some kind of reference that has, so far, flown over our heads
2) It's a standin for some other kind of creature that appears so infrequently that it doesn't have its own race type set.

Personally, I think Zelfrax is some kind of minor troll loa. Look at what it says: "This land was mine long before your wretched kind set foot here. All who venture here belong to me, including you!" That could basically be a line out of the Gods of Zul'Aman trailer. As well, we have to look at this "demon's" powers; they're fairly nonstandard, focusing on possession, animating dead spirits, and madness. We don't see a lot of Burning Legion demons which do that. Food for thought, and it will probably be meaningless when Cata hits, but oh well.

What do you think it is? A Burning Legion demon? An independent demon? A troll loa? A reference to some other story? Something else?

I personally choose not to look too much into it. When i did that quest I kinda thought it was interestinf and odd but minor demons have been coming to Azeroth for generations. It's possible that he came here a long time ago and occupied that particular patch of land.

There are also demons unaffiliated with the Burning Legion.

As for being a loa, they are nature spirits who are stronger than elementals. Zelfraz doesn't seem to fit the bill, and it's stated that he is, in fact, a demon. I do think it's possible that Blizzard simply didn't want to create a unique model for such a minor quest that most players would gloss over, but it's interesting.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Probably some war of the ancients leftover that didn't get yanked back into the well of eternity with all the other demons.

Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
That demon reminds of a vampire. It flies around on bat-like wings in a dark and dreary land, using the dead as slaves.

I think it merited a more in-depth story, perhaps hints of its presence throughout the area, and a long lead-up questchain where you catch glimpses of it, until you do the quests to summon it and draw it out.

It should have more abilities, and during the fight the sky should darken, as it does in the Tethyr fight.

Reply Quote
80 Undead Warlock
Probably some war of the ancients leftover that didn't get yanked back into the well of eternity with all the other demons.

Doesn't really make sense if it was say a Night Elf player is doing it. Or a Tauren or Troll ( can Horde do the quest? )
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Doesn't really make sense if it was say a Night Elf player is doing it. Or a Tauren or Troll ( can Horde do the quest? )

Yeah Horde can do it also. The questgiver is that neutral redneck in the crappy, rundown shack.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]