Cairne and Baine Bloodhoof

100 Tauren Shaman
...are how totemic warriors SHOULD look.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
yah hes a badass what yah gonna do :D
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Shup, not all of us can/want to be ten feet across.

Hey, speak for yourself.

Oh... we were talking about our characters? Very well, carry on then.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I would love to have my totem appear on my back like 2-handed weapons do, would have to be worked around with interfering with other weapons on your back, but definitely worth it =)
Reply Quote
I'm a fan of Gavan Grayfeather.

Sweet ink, brah!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman

Draenei would have obviously prettier, more graceful, and lighter totems on their backs.

Orcs would just have big-ass axes strapped to their back. They <3 axes after all.

Trolls can have their silly little sticks.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

Draenei would have obviously prettier, more graceful, and lighter totems on their backs.

Orcs would just have big-ass axes strapped to their back. They <3 axes after all.

Our silly little sticks are quite possibly the most fashionable totems around, thank you very much.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman

Our silly little sticks are quite possibly the most fashionable totems around, thank you very much.

Isn't that what the ugly stick-thin girls say about themselves?!
Reply Quote
I agree.
Also tauren totems are best.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Cairne and Baine are ACTUAL warriors, they have nothing to do with Shaman. Cairne's wielding of a totem in game has always been a bit odd - The Runespear is an actual spear. He does wield the same Totem-looking-thing in WC3 though if I recall. So, I dunno, perhaps its one of those Retcons that no one talks about too much. Baine seems to be wielding an actual Spear in WoW through LK. Of course post LK he wields Magni's Mace that Anduin gave him, but from what I've heard he also has some sort of totems now like his father had before... so, I dunno. Perhaps it's some mark of station for Tauren rather than a practical weapon.

But they're definitely not Shaman.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Cairne and Baine are ACTUAL warriors, they have nothing to do with Shaman. Cairne's wielding of a totem in game has always been a bit odd - The Runespear is an actual spear. He does wield the same Totem-looking-thing in WC3 though if I recall. So, I dunno, perhaps its one of those Retcons that no one talks about too much. Baine seems to be wielding an actual Spear in WoW through LK. Of course post LK he wields Magni's Mace that Anduin gave him, but from what I've heard he also has some sort of totems now like his father had before... so, I dunno. Perhaps it's some mark of station for Tauren rather than a practical weapon.

May not be a Shaman, but he does look like what a totemic warrior should be.

Both Cairne and Baine now properly have models showing them carrying totems on their back, for seemingly no reason.
Edited by Matuk on 11/16/2010 7:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman

The totem is used in lore to record history. Its passed from father to son and each owner carves their history in it. At least i think that's what it is.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
lol... my apologies to the OP, I seem to have geeked up your thread =D

I just think it's an interesting lore aspect to delve into is all =p

The totem is used in lore to record history. Its passed from father to son and each owner carves their history in it. At least i think that's what it is.

You could definitely be right here... but again, Cairne's Runespear has the EXACT same job....

This spear has been handed down through many generations of the Bloodhoof line, and is currently in the possession of Cairne Bloodhoof. Each owner carves his own major history into the shaft before passing it on to the next generation.[1]

I'd note that, from the descriptions I've read - primarily in the Shattering, the Shaman Totems that we 'drop' in game are actually quite small, small enough to palm.

I'd also agree with the OP that, Shaman or not, Cairne weilding the giant tree-totem is frigging cool. I did make a mistake in my earlier post though - I had to go back and look. But Cairne is indeed weilding the Runespear and just wearing the 2 totems on his back. The Tauren warriors though actually use Totems as weapon.
Tauren have a lot of culture centered around these totems. It's also interesting that the Tauren have actual Native-American style totem poles all over the place, in addition to these more WoW-stylized Totems that have been adopted as both weapons and Shaman... elemental icons I guess. (I think at this point we have to just accept that the Orc usage of Tauren-style totems in-game was just one of those game mechanics done for the sake of normalized styling instead of an actual direct usage.)

I wonder if this topic has ever really been explored before... whats the difference, if any, and the significance of the big Native American Totems, the smaller decorative totems worn on the back, that depending on what art or game your looking at can look like - again - either classic native american totems or what looks like a shaman's fire elemental totem...and the giant, rune-covered tree-flail like weapons that look like totems.

...alright I'll go back to my corner now

Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
lol... my apologies to the OP, I seem to have geeked up your thread =D

I just think it's an interesting lore aspect to delve into is all =p

You could definitely be right here... but again, Cairne's Runespear has the EXACT same job....

This spear has been handed down through many generations of the Bloodhoof line, and is currently in the possession of Cairne Bloodhoof. Each owner carves his own major history into the shaft before passing it on to the next generation.[1]

I'd note that, from the descriptions I've read - primarily in the Shattering, the Shaman Totems that we 'drop' in game are actually quite small, small enough to palm.

I'd also agree with the OP that, Shaman or not, Cairne weilding the giant tree-totem is frigging cool. I did make a mistake in my earlier post though - I had to go back and look. But Cairne is indeed weilding the Runespear and just wearing the 2 totems on his back. The Tauren warriors though actually use Totems as weapon.
Tauren have a lot of culture centered around these totems. It's also interesting that the Tauren have actual Native-American style totem poles all over the place, in addition to these more WoW-stylized Totems that have been adopted as both weapons and Shaman... elemental icons I guess. (I think at this point we have to just accept that the Orc usage of Tauren-style totems in-game was just one of those game mechanics done for the sake of normalized styling instead of an actual direct usage.)

I wonder if this topic has ever really been explored before... whats the difference, if any, and the significance of the big Native American Totems, the smaller decorative totems worn on the back, that depending on what art or game your looking at can look like - again - either classic native american totems or what looks like a shaman's fire elemental totem...and the giant, rune-covered tree-flail like weapons that look like totems.

...alright I'll go back to my corner now

Well, I've just *always* thought that Shaman should be able to do something similar, and thus we could do away with the buff totems from our current "lol i'm dropping totems!" mechanics.

Ever since I started playing this game, I was confused why we couldn't get to just carry the totems on our back the way Cairne does.
While not all Tauren are Shaman, all Tauren are deeply tied to the earth in an almost shamanistic way. They all are tied to their ancestral spirits and the power of the Earthmother (practically worship her) so I always felt that all Tauren *everywhere* had some grasp of Shaman abilities, if not necessarily the ability or inclination to use them.

Hence how Cairne, back in WC3, could have an Endurance Aura - I always saw that as some shamanistic ability that he channeled through the totems on his back.

I hate the current totem system... but only as it applies to our buff totems. As far as Earthbind and Searing and Grounding are concerned, as far as any of our utility totems are concerned, I'm perfectly fine with the current setup - my beef is with the immobile, short-range buff auras, and the fact that we have literally no reason to use them in a 25-man raid anyways.
Edited by Matuk on 11/17/2010 1:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Cairne and Baine make me feel inadequate
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]