Long time clicker wanting to change

85 Gnome Mage
I've been a Clicker since the beginning and feel like it's time to change. I'm fairly casual so I don't get a whole lot of time to raid and whatnot because my gaming hours vary all the time....

which is why I wanted to test out my fresh 80 in some pvp to see how I enjoyed it. Well, I absolutely loved it, even with being pretty under geared. One thing I noticed is I couldn't get spells out quick enough with managing icy veins, mirror image, barrier, ect.....

As of right now, I mouse turn and do not use any macros/keybinds.

I still raid, but seem to be doing bg's more with the time I have. Arcane pve/frost pvp....

I was also thinking of changing my UI to lui since it seems pretty rad!

Well, would it be easier to half click (cooldown spells) and half keybind, also using my mouse wheel?

Just looking for some ideas as it would be nice to get the layout down before Cata.
I don't know anything about keybinds, hand placement, anything...

Thanks for any info!
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
If I was Fire, that could possibly be one option.

I'm just trying to get a feel for BG's and to get better and The only way to do is set up successful keybinds with a 'non-click' UI....

I wont utilize my side buttons, only mousewheel... And I also don't have the largest hands so that could be a problem..

Any help please?
Reply Quote
Just go with what you feel is a good setup to you. I personally changed to a edsf vice wasd and changed s,f to the strafe key's as well it free's up a lot of room imo.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Honestly...you'll be better off finding your own way of keybinding things. There are not a lot of things you'll need to keybind for PvE honestly. As arcane you aren't going to use much outside of Arcane Blast, Arcane Missiles, Arcane Barrage, Evocate, Arcane Power, and Mirror Image.

There are a few utility things like blink and ice block too, but finding places to put those 8 things is easily manageable. If you want...you can get rid of the 'q' and 'e' keybinds and make 'a' and 'd' strafe since no one in the right mind keyboard turns anyway...but walking around in cities will feel kinda weird at first.

Like I said though...just take the stuff you use regularly...and bind them on the number keys and other keys near your movement keys. It'll take a small bit of time to get used to not clicking...but it's a lot smoother play style.

I mean...if you're all that interested...as for the spells I listed, my keybinds would be:

Arcane Blast - 1
Arcane Missiles - 2
Arcane Barrage - 3
Evocate - F
Arcane Power - ` (Tilde)
Ice Block - Tab
Blink - Middle Mouse Button
Mirrors I actually click

I've got all sorts of other crap bound everywhere else...but I'm in no mood to list everything.
Edited by Glacios on 11/15/2010 11:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
wut
You're going to have to mess around with it and find a range of keys that works for you. Personally, I use:

1-6
Shift 1 - Shift 6
X
F
Shift T
Shift C
Shift X
Shift G
Shift F

Nothing is going to feel right when you first start with bindings, but once you've gotten the keys memorized, you'll be hitting them faster than you can imagine.
Reply Quote
Go buy a razer naga.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Get bartender4 and make a new keybind every day. Then go into a bg and just use it all the time to get used to it. Like when you make a bind for polymorph, go ride into combat and just sheep the hell out of people, randomly if possible, so you get the muscle memory for it.

Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
To a degree there will be always buttons you might click for instance I still click my Battlemaster's Trinket/Invis/Mage Ward.

Everything else that is used on a constant basis are keybound 1,2,3,4,5,6,`,T,F,E,F1,Z,V,Mouse 4/5, Middle.

There's a lot to get used to. I know from the beginning I only used 1-6 and clicked the rest. It sort of evolved from there. Based 100% off comfort

P.S HAI GLACIOS

Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
i rebound q and e but did NOT rebind a and d to strafe. I have no strafe button. When combat starts I pretty much hold right click and don't unclick right click until combat is over (sans target switching, some other random none actual combat related things, well besides targeting reticules, but I got those down too)

If I could reset my muscle memory I might try esdf, but I'm too used to wasd and wasd works fine, honestly, wasd just requires more use of modifier keys (shift,alt,ctrl) to get everything you want bound. I won't say whats bound where, but I use

`,1,2,3,4,5,q,e,t,f,g,z,x,c,v,mouse4,mouse5
control+ `,f,e,q
shift+ 1,2,3,4,x,c,v (shift z isn't hand friendly),mouse4,mouse5

and probably 1-2 that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head. Like karrok said, bind one spell a day and in a couple weeks you are good. A good starter keybind set would be your MAIN damaging attacks on 1-5 (5 is actually a OSHI- button for me), then bind one of your most used defensive buttons (like blink). After a few days and a couple more binds (ice block, mana shield, polymorph, whatever) you can start binding less used skills like blizzard and various cooldowns.

EDIT: The backpedaling habbit, while bad if used more than very rarely, can be, none the less, a crucial button in obscure situations that I can't even think of but I know they exist. Simply not binding back pedal would infuriate me and limit my mobility in all aspects of this game. Maybe that's just me though. (I also do not have a backpedaling problem, I do it in very rare situations when I will lose no combat effectiveness for backpedaling but am able to open up some other action by not having to to use my mouse or other peripherals to move to where i want.)
Edited by Larcix on 11/16/2010 1:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
bind BUTTON3 TOGGLEAUTORUN
bind W MOVEFORWARD
bind UP MOVEFORWARD
bind S MOVEBACKWARD
bind DOWN MOVEBACKWARD
bind A MACRO iceblock
bind LEFT TURNLEFT
bind D MACRO Poly
bind RIGHT TURNRIGHT
bind Q STRAFELEFT
bind E STRAFERIGHT
bind BUTTON4 MACRO Trinket2
bind SHIFT-PAGEDOWN CHATBOTTOM
bind CTRL-PAGEUP COMBATLOGPAGEUP
bind CTRL-PAGEDOWN COMBATLOGPAGEDOWN
bind CTRL-SHIFT-PAGEDOWN COMBATLOGBOTTOM
bind R REPLY
bind SHIFT-R REPLY2
bind 1 CLICK BT4Button1:LeftButton
bind 2 CLICK BT4Button2:LeftButton
bind 3 CLICK BT4Button3:LeftButton
bind 4 CLICK BT4Button4:LeftButton
bind 5 CLICK BT4Button5:LeftButton
bind 6 MACRO CSF
bind 7 MACRO CS
bind 8 SPELL Frost Nova
bind 9 MACRO PolyMouse
bind 0 SPELL Blink
bind - NONE
bind = NONE
bind CTRL-F1 MULTIACTIONBAR3BUTTON2
bind CTRL-F2 SHAPESHIFTBUTTON2
bind CTRL-F3 SHAPESHIFTBUTTON3
bind CTRL-F4 CLICK Nurfed_Button25:LeftButton
bind CTRL-F5 SHAPESHIFTBUTTON5
bind CTRL-F6 SHAPESHIFTBUTTON6
bind CTRL-F7 SHAPESHIFTBUTTON7
bind CTRL-F8 SHAPESHIFTBUTTON8
bind CTRL-F9 SHAPESHIFTBUTTON9
bind CTRL-F10 SHAPESHIFTBUTTON10
bind CTRL-1 MACRO ass
bind CTRL-2 MACRO ass2
bind CTRL-3 SPELL Molten Armor
bind CTRL-4 SPELL Frost Armor
bind CTRL-5 SPELL Mage Armor
bind CTRL-6 CLICK BT4PetButton3:LeftButton
bind CTRL-7 MACRO focus
bind CTRL-8 SPELL Dragon's Breath
bind CTRL-9 NONE
bind CTRL-0 NONE
bind SHIFT-1 CLICK BT4Button15:LeftButton
bind SHIFT-2 SPELL Spellsteal
bind SHIFT-3 MACRO shift3
bind SHIFT-4 SPELL Shoot
bind SHIFT-5 MACRO Decursive
bind SHIFT-6 SPELL Arcane Explosion
bind SHIFT-UP NONE
bind SHIFT-MOUSEWHEELUP SPELL Mage Ward
bind SHIFT-DOWN NONE
bind SHIFT-MOUSEWHEELDOWN MACRO slowfallm
bind TAB TARGETNEARESTENEMY
bind SHIFT-TAB TARGETNEARESTENEMYPLAYER
bind CTRL-TAB TARGETPREVIOUSENEMY
bind CTRL-SHIFT-TAB TARGETPREVIOUSFRIEND
bind F1 MACRO zzMulti01
bind G TARGETLASTHOSTILE
bind F ASSISTTARGET
bind V CLICK SmartBuff_KeyButton:LeftButton
bind SHIFT-V FRIENDNAMEPLATES
bind CTRL-V ALLNAMEPLATES
bind T ATTACKTARGET
bind SHIFT-T PETATTACK
bind C TOGGLECHARACTER0
bind B OPENALLBAGS
bind SHIFT-B TOGGLEBACKPACK
bind SHIFT-SPACE TOGGLEWORLDSTATESCORES
bind SHIFT-M TOGGLEBATTLEFIELDMINIMAP
bind SHIFT-O TOGGLECHANNELPULLOUT
bind MOUSEWHEELUP SPELL Ice Barrier
bind MOUSEWHEELDOWN MACRO mountmac
bind CTRL-A SPELL Evocation
bind BUTTON2 TURNORACTION
bind BUTTON1 CAMERAORSELECTORMOVE
bind SHIFT-[ CLICK BT4Button35:LeftButton
bind NUMPAD5 VEHICLEEXIT
bind NUMPAD1 VEHICLEPREVSEAT
bind NUMPAD3 VEHICLENEXTSEAT
bind CTRL-MOUSEWHEELUP SPELL Mana Shield
bind CTRL-MOUSEWHEELDOWN VEHICLEAIMDECREMENT
bind [ CLICK BT4Button24:LeftButton
bind ] MACRO zzMulti02
bind ' SPELL Disenchant
bind ALT-MOUSEWHEELDOWN MACRO mountground
bind SHIFT-D GLADIUSTARGET1_RIGHT
bind CTRL-BUTTON1 CAMERAORSELECTORMOVESTICKY
bind CTRL-B TOGGLEKEYRING
bind ; SPELL Remove Lesser Curse
bind , SPELL Fishing
bind . SPELL Alchemy
bind SHIFT-, SPELL Cooking
bind SHIFT-' SPELL First Aid
bind SHIFT-. SPELL Engineering
bind ALT-V NAMEPLATES
bind SHIFT-\ OMENTOGGLE
bind SHIFT-8 SPELL Cone of Cold
bind SHIFT-= NONE
bind BUTTON5 MACRO focus
bind BACKSPACE NONE
bind SHIFT-7 SPELL Flame Orb
bind \ SPELL Conjure Refreshment
bind ALT-6 SPELL Mirror Image
bind ALT-MOUSEWHEELUP SPELL Mage Ward
bind ALT-2 SPELL Flamestrike
bind ALT-A SPELL Cold Snap
bind SHIFT-A SPELL Invisibility
bind ALT-BUTTON5 MACRO eat drink
bind SHIFT-BUTTON5 MACRO gems
bind SHIFT-] SPELL Time Warp
bind ALT-] NONE
bind ALT-3 SPELL Blast Wave
bind ALT-[ SPELL Cannibalize
bind F7 MACRO zzMulti06
bind F6 MACRO zzMulti10
bind ALT-5 SPELL Arcane Blast
bind ALT-4 SPELL Scorch
bind ALT-F3 MACRO zzMulti12
bind ALT-1 SPELL Blizzard
bind ALT-8 CLICK BT4Button54:LeftButton
bind ALT-D GLADIUSTARGET2_RIGHT
bind SHIFT-BUTTON4 CLICK Nurfed_Button19:LeftButton
bind ALT-BUTTON4 CLICK Nurfed_Button17:LeftButton
bind CTRL-BUTTON5 CLICK Nurfed2_Button49:LeftButton
bind CTRL-UP VEHICLEAIMINCREMENT
bind CTRL-DOWN VEHICLEAIMDECREMENT
bind SHIFT-ENTER NONE
bind ALT-L SPELL Ice Barrier
bind CTRL-D GLADIUSTARGET3_RIGHT
bind ALT-7 SPELL Ring of Frost
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
I do occationaly hit the key in combat during a raid; i need to have an instant ability that does not alter my optimal rotation and i need a reason to be only 2-5 yards behind me. Either of those happen often enough, but both during the same GCD or two, not so much.

In BGs I can probably find a similar situation.

I see no reason to ever cast back pedal while in combat while in an arena, although I'm sure I could contrive (I've been using this word a lot, I really like it) a scenario in which my optimum button presses include S, but I think that would also require me to need to click something while simultaneously needing to back up slightly, and since all my combat spells (99%) are bound, this won't happen barely ever.

I still see no reason to actually remove the key, tho, haha.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage

bind A MACRO iceblock
bind D MACRO Poly
bind BUTTON4 MACRO Trinket2
bind 1 CLICK BT4Button1:LeftButton
bind 2 CLICK BT4Button2:LeftButton
bind 3 CLICK BT4Button3:LeftButton
bind 4 CLICK BT4Button4:LeftButton
bind 5 CLICK BT4Button5:LeftButton
bind 6 MACRO CSF
bind 7 MACRO CS
bind 9 MACRO PolyMouse
bind CTRL-F4 CLICK Nurfed_Button25:LeftButton
bind CTRL-1 MACRO ass
bind CTRL-2 MACRO ass2

bind CTRL-7 MACRO focus
bind SHIFT-1 CLICK BT4Button15:LeftButton
bind SHIFT-3 MACRO shift3
bind SHIFT-5 MACRO Decursive
bind SHIFT-MOUSEWHEELDOWN MACRO slowfallm
bind F1 MACRO zzMulti01
bind V CLICK SmartBuff_KeyButton:LeftButton
bind SHIFT-[ CLICK BT4Button35:LeftButton
bind [ CLICK BT4Button24:LeftButton
bind ] MACRO zzMulti02
bind ' SPELL Disenchant
bind ALT-MOUSEWHEELDOWN MACRO mountground
bind , SPELL Fishing
bind . SPELL Alchemy
bind SHIFT-, SPELL Cooking
bind SHIFT-' SPELL First Aid
bind SHIFT-. SPELL Engineering
bind SHIFT-\ OMENTOGGLE
bind SHIFT-= NONE
bind BUTTON5 MACRO focus
bind SHIFT-7 SPELL Flame Orb
bind F7 MACRO zzMulti06
bind F6 MACRO zzMulti10
bind ALT-F3 MACRO zzMulti12
bind ALT-8 CLICK BT4Button54:LeftButton
bind ALT-D GLADIUSTARGET2_RIGHT
bind SHIFT-BUTTON4 CLICK Nurfed_Button19:LeftButton
bind ALT-BUTTON4 CLICK Nurfed_Button17:LeftButton
bind CTRL-BUTTON5 CLICK Nurfed2_Button49:LeftButton

Pretty useless post, honestly. At first I thought these were your keybinds till I saw a bunch of wacky ones, but it still might be I guess if you actually hit shift and alt and ctrl 1-6 and tons of other weird ones. This is also filled with macros and addon key binds and even Fire Orb and Ring of Frost. I can see no circumstance where this post would be useful.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Those are basically my keybinds on beta, which is why those spells are included.

Some of those bindings are extraneous (especially the nurfed ones, since I no longer use nurfed), but I use the majority of them. zzMulti ones were for multiboxing.

I use a lot of shift/alt/ctrl combos to achieve more bindings. I have huge hands.

The addon based bindings are for keybindings that change with my spec. You'll notice 1-5 and shift-1 are bound to Bartender... for the simple reason that those are the keybindings that change when I change specs.

The rest, however, do not change. This means that I may potentially have the same spell bound twice in fire spec, for instance, but the key combo button is less convenient than the single button version I use for that spec.

The gladius bindings should be fairly obvious--polymorph anyone in slot 1-3 without ever targeting our using mouseover.

Ctrl-1 and 2 are assist macros. CS macro is counterspell, CSF is for focus. Most of the macros are self-explanatory if you just look at the names.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Also, just FYI: that's how keybindings are saved in bindings-cache.wtf--this is just a copy paste of mine. Maybe you will not find it useful, but what I'm attempting to convey is that I have every spell bound.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
Your ability to bind every spell is almost envious, but that is sure to simply confuse the OP. He needs to start simple and you have one of the most crazy keybind set ups I have seen. The format in which the keybinds were presented is less than obvious as well and it takes the person who copied it to be able to tell some of the odder lines of code.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Primarily used spells should be bound to the most accessible keys, ex. 1-5, r, f, etc.
arcane blast/fireball/frostbolt and whatever depending on spec. These are the keys that will differ between specs. Bind all cooldowns for your spec.

Spells to have bound as any spec:
Mage Ward
Mana Shield
Set Focus
Polymorph Target/Focus (and perhaps mouse over)
Counterspell Target/Focus/Mouseover
Frost Nova
Cone of Cold
Blink
Iceblock (as well as a cancel macro, preferably on another key - can be combined with some other action)
Spell steal
Decurse
Blizzard/Flame Strike/Arcane Explosion
Invisibility
Evocation
Mirror Images
Wand Shoot
Slowfall
Class racials
Mana gem
Warlock Health Stone

If you have a water elemental pet:
Pet attack
pet passive
pet move
Freeze

If you can spare the key bindings:
Molten Armor, Mage Armor, and Frost Armor.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]