Rerolling, Making Pally my alt 'n specin Holy

80 Blood Elf Paladin
I've never seen ret this bad since early 60. This is probably the least promising looking expansion for ret ever, as it has turned the spec back into what people hated it as at 60- a bursty holy damage RNG luck based spec.

Word of glory and rebuke added some awesome utility for group play, though it came riddled with nerfs.

Ret is too much of a glass cannon, and if a target can survive the burst it's over. That and for how many classes that can now nullify some or all of paladins best defensive and offensive mechanisms (wings, bubble, freedom, hoj)- all it takes is one of those classes to be nearby to make a ret paladin no more useful than any other class.

A ret paladin does not bring anything to the pvp table prot ret can't. And prot ret has better survivability. This makes prot ret fill the description "defensive melee hybrid"

Holy is basically the only pure form left of paladin, as it retained cleanse and has a clear definition. "a healer in plate with cleanse"

Ret paladins in pvp might best be described as "Defensive melee arcane mage". If wings isn't up you don't even have a chance to begin with. By the time you generate 3 holy power vs anyone who has a clue how to play you're almost dead and either need to tv and bubble or word of glory and spam FoL. Running around a in a group pvp scenario with a 2 hander and blatant melee and holy power requirements leaves you fairly defenseless as is, but as I said early just one of any of those classes who can remove your ultimate defensive cooldown- bubble, purge, dispel, or even steal your ultimate dps cooldown (wings), you're out there running around like a chicken with its head cut off for a few seconds before a caster or two kills you while you try and close the gap distance.

Ret brings nothing to the table of pvp which other specs of paladin can't as good or better.

I'm going to retire my paladin as ret, and as my main and sell out and spec holy and prot ret at 85...and..
I'm going to finish leveling up my mage as fire (extremely fun) and go frost for high end pvp at 85 and dual spec Fire Hero as my new main.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Paladin
Learn to play? im doing just fine now. usually im terrible at pvp but now, with the changes, i can kill multiple people in pvp. and raiding, my single target dps is crazy. i pulled 11.7k dps on festergut last week. way better than what i used too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
blah, blah, blah...

The problems that are currently plaguing Retribution are the same problems we've had for years: Dispel vulnerability and extreme difficulty actually staying in melee range (i.e. no snare or gap closer).

Unfortunately for us, Blizzard has been reluctant to give us clear solutions to this problem.

I have found that having a healing partner is much more fun though!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Hmmm, my DPS went up with 4.0. And now, I occasionally have to think.
PvP is all messed up now anyway until we hit 85. Relax and enjoy the prologue.
Win.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
BUR
isn't long arm of the law a gap closer?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

not when you're snared/rooted.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

not when you're snared/rooted.

It's a step in the right direction but falls just a bit short. It would probably be serviceable if we didn't have the issues with everything being dispelled so easily.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin

I'm going to retire my paladin as ret, and as my main and sell out and spec holy and prot ret at 85...and..
I'm going to finish leveling up my mage as fire (extremely fun) and go frost for high end pvp at 85 and dual spec Fire Hero as my new main.
And i bet you will still fail at that too.

Oh man that was a well thought out argument. I see the points you outlined in detail, not.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Learn to play? im doing just fine now. usually im terrible at pvp but now, with the changes, i can kill multiple people in pvp. and raiding, my single target dps is crazy. i pulled 11.7k dps on festergut last week. way better than what i used too.

I just said I can get 9k dps self buffed with crappy gear and noticed single target dps increases within hours of reactivating. 11.7k dps with raid and icc buffs is not very impressive, whereas I've seen mages with gear similar to mine do 19k dps in 5 mans, and up to 37k in raids. Ret won't be able to compete again until inquisition and then they'll be fine- as long as its a single target dps encounter where the boss lasts several minutes or more.

The problem I have is ret just being boring luck based for its rotation priority right now, and as several people have mentioned, its vulnerability to offensive dispelling of our mobility and offense (and I'd go further to say the offensive removal of defensive cooldowns too).

I have no problem playing ret as well or better than holiwrath, who just chimes in with "you're a failure" and no discussion.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Have you tried ret on the beta (hope you're on it) yet with the cleanse buff pushed through?

According to reports, it's MUCH better. If you cleanse yourself, it dispels all movement impairing effects, including physical ones like hamstring.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
Um...congratulations?
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Have you tried ret on the beta (hope you're on it) yet with the cleanse buff pushed through?

According to reports, it's MUCH better. If you cleanse yourself, it dispels all movement impairing effects, including physical ones like hamstring.

I've been following the updates and yes this is a step in the right direction.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]