Ret paladin AoE, a better fix please

(Locked)

80 Blood Elf Paladin
I say revert the change to DS, move HotR baseline so Ret can use it in AoE situations to build HP for DS as a finisher.

I still think HW needs to be adjusted i still hate having a move that i can't control how it works. It is extremely frustrating in PvP to see my HW hit for garbage because it hit a few people got in range of this ability.
100 Human Paladin
I say revert the change to DS, move HotR baseline so Ret can use it in AoE situations to build HP for DS as a finisher.

I still think HW needs to be adjusted i still hate having a move that i can't control how it works. It is extremely frustrating in PvP to see my HW hit for garbage because it hit a few people got in range of this ability.

they should both be baseline then because prot needs a button to press in aoe situations right now as well. Inquisition won't cut it, word of glory is currently all we have or shotr if y ou feel like it. I currently sit on my 3 holy power on live more often than not as a prot paladin so I can charge 3 packs ahead of the healer. In cata I won't be able to do that, so we need a button or something.
85 Tauren Paladin
Actually, I think the new, on-demand Divine Storm is a DPS nerf.

Here is my thinking:

3 Holy Power Divine Storm does 150% weapon damage per mob that it hits, so for each mob, you add 150% weapon damage.

A single TV does 225% weapon damage, a single Divine Storm that hits 2 targets does, in essence, 300% weapon damage, so in terms of raw damage, Divine Storm currently is much better than blowing it on a 3 Holy Power TV. Add in a third mob, and you're essentially doing 450% weapon damage with that 3 Holy Power, where you're still only doing 225% with Templar's Verdict.

So right now, with 2 or more mobs, Divine Storm is much more raw damage. With the new model, it won't be more damage than TV until 4 mobs are present, and even then, I think the beta TV hits a couple percent higher than it does on Live, so you'll potentially only match the current Divine Storm as a finisher with 5+ mobs being hit.

However...

That doesn't take into account the increased frequency of Divine Storms given the cooldown reduction with SoB. But even then, you then have to assume that all five mobs live for more than 3-4 Divine Storms, which pretty much puts us back to where we were, but worse, because I could at least save some Holy Power going from pull to pull and maybe get lucky.

In essence, for doing lower-level instances and such, the Divine Storm change (Beta) doesn't help us much, and only gets worse as content gets easier.

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way though, I don't claim to be a numbers genius, far from it, but from a superficial point of view, that's what I came up with.

Like the guy above me, I'd rather have it be the HP builder with another AE finisher. Then again, my hotbar is already mostly full, do we really need another button? Would Holy Wrath fit that bill? And if so, I think we'd another single target move, AND LESS RNG PLEASE.

Well, TV's base damage is 235% on beta, but increased by 45% with talents and glyph, so it should be 340% (or was the glyph 10% only?). It would still be more DPS to use TV on two mobs with the old DS.

235% + 45% (assuming it's added) = 280%, not 340%. Not sure where you got 340% from? D:

edit:
Oh, I see. You added 45% of 235% to 235% (105.75). I do not think that is how it works? Could be wrong, of course.
Edited by Ashrial on 11/18/2010 8:02 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]