Cat dps threat to high for you too?

80 Tauren Druid
This alt of mine hit 80 about a 8 days ago. i play as feral cat dps, and resto. I noticed when I was very low gear score, 3.5k, I was pulling insane damage. Now I have studied rotations, watched a billion videos, read elitist jerks and all. One thing I have noticed is I pull INCREDIBLE amounts of threat. I am not spec/talented into threat. Now this dude is at almost 5.7 gs and doing insane damage, but I pull threat like nobody's business.

I literally waited 10 seconds on saurfang(normal) 10 man the other day, tank was really high, and I started unloading, next thing I know I pull threat. My mains are a 6400 gs prot pally, and a 6100 blood dk, and Ive never noticed feral druids creeping up on me like that.

I was curious if anyone else is having this problem, or am I doing something wrong?
Thank you for your useful replies.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Cower doesn't suck anymore - use it. :)
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
If your tanks are good enough, you shouldn't have issues. If you're waiting 5+ seconds after saurfang activates and you're still pulling threat, especially if you're using cower appropriately, that isn't your fault, that's the tanks' fault. That being said, I find that about 80% of the time when I'm asked to dps rather than tank, the "tank" ends up being completely useless at threat generation, and I end up having to 1) stop dps entirely 2) switch into bear and tank in my kitty spec and gear for that fight then take over tanking from that point on until the raid leader finds a better tank or 3) get splattered across three walls.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
If your tanks are good enough, you shouldn't have issues. If you're waiting 5+ seconds after saurfang activates and you're still pulling threat, especially if you're using cower appropriately, that isn't your fault, that's the tanks' fault. That being said, I find that about 80% of the time when I'm asked to dps rather than tank, the "tank" ends up being completely useless at threat generation, and I end up having to 1) stop dps entirely 2) switch into bear and tank in my kitty spec and gear for that fight then take over tanking from that point on until the raid leader finds a better tank or 3) get splattered across three walls.

Your kitty spec has the Thick Hide talent, I'm assuming? Otherwise you're going to be getting crit. :X
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
Option 2 and 3 aren't mutually exclusive... ;)
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
No my tanks are great. We are 11/12 heroic icc 10 and 25. I dont have thick hide. i am using cower. When I was a wee 80 I remember my tanks saying "man youre gonna be scary once u get your gear." Now that im getting the gear the threat is stupid. I cant figure out why. Like I said Ive worked cower into my rotation to use it EVERYTIME its off CD. So am i the only one with cat threat issues?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid

i find 2-3 cowers in the first 30s + another about a minute and a half in is enough to not really have threat issues.

I'll have to remember this. I've had serious threat problems since the changes to misdirect and TOTT and I seem to hit cower before its too late. Thanks.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
No my tanks are great. We are 11/12 heroic icc 10 and 25. I dont have thick hide. i am using cower. When I was a wee 80 I remember my tanks saying "man youre gonna be scary once u get your gear." Now that im getting the gear the threat is stupid. I cant figure out why. Like I said Ive worked cower into my rotation to use it EVERYTIME its off CD. So am i the only one with cat threat issues?

Cat threat is pretty stupid right now, but giving a literal 10 second head start to the tank on Saurfang is pretty much you seriously out-gearing the tank or the tank failing (either at a rotation or gearing) if you tear the boss off them, especially as quickly as you indicate it happened.

This happens to me in heroics and post-Wintergrasp VOA pugs; it doesn't happen to me in organized gdkp or organized icc pugs.
Reply Quote
I have to use cower every cooldown even on longer fights, its pretty annoying. but it doesnt hurt my DPS too much.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
This thread again? Until Vengeance stacks up, you'll likely be able to push more threat than the average to below average tank. Good tanks won't lose aggro even through a Berserk.

Below is my response to the last cat threat thread.

Misdirection and Tricks of the Trade no longer generate permanent threat for tanks, after 30 seconds the threat starts to fall off. I'm not certain if it decays or completely falls off after 30 seconds. I've actually seen tanks doing negative TPS because of threat from hunters and rogues falling off. It doesn't take much to rip threat when this happens. One second the tank has a decent threat lead, then all of a sudden you pass him by a substantial margin and splat, dead kitty.

All too often, bad tanks' threat is/have been carried by Tricks and Misdirects, so this change is exposing poorly performing tanks.

However, you ripping aggro is completely your own fault. Watch Omen and cower on cooldown if you must. Early in the fight, don't Berserk if you think Tricks or Misdirect is about to expire.

If you can, have your hunters and rogues stagger their Misdirects and Tricks and to use them on cooldown until the tank has a healthy threat lead. That way you won't run into the problem where the tanks threat just evaporates into thin air.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
This char is about 2 and a half weeks old as a lvl 80 I belive I am quite geared up, just need to get some pve toys where I have pvp ones. I do not raid which is why I have the pvp wep which is better than all those 232 weps you can get.

I am a threat @##@* on trash mobs due to swipe. On bosses I can take aggro quick, my dodge does save my arse. I need to get into the habit of using cower. I did notice one thing. Paladin tanks seem to struggle on single targets.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
Thanks for all the replies. I didnt know that about TotT and MD, I'll have to keep that in mind. I got my question answered, seeing Im not the only one with threat issues, Im just going to have to pay more attention. Thanks again.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
Option 2 and 3 aren't mutually exclusive... ;)

QFT.

I end up tanking a lot of bosses when I go in as DPS.

However, as a tip, Glyph of Barkskin is freaking awesome for said situations in cat form :) With it and Survival Instincts + Frenzied Regen to help I can usually manage a minute of decent tanking.

If the fight goes on longer than that I inevitably have combined options 2 and 3 however.

Cower however is very nifty these days. It wasn't even on my bars before but now I tend to include it quite often. Its saved my life a few times.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
good tanks make all the difference in the world :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Cower is for wimps! CAT TANK LIKE A PRO!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Cower is for wimps! CAT TANK LIKE A PRO!

wtb SoTF! :p
Reply Quote
Both tanks died on a Festergut I was in.. and I tanked it to the end. Full minute of no crits.. I was shocked.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I've set my omen to go off at 75% and pull back and pop cower. After about 45 seconds I can start letting it go.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Both tanks died on a Festergut I was in.. and I tanked it to the end. Full minute of no crits.. I was shocked.

Interesting...

I wonder if crit immunity is erroneously 'grandfathered' like the crit modifier is/was.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]